Cam Hui, CFA

View Cam Hui, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nervously Bullish [View article]
    Nervously bullish = Trading bullishly but nervous about the downside, so I keep tight stops.
    Jul 25, 2011. 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Bernanke Smarter Than We Thought? [View article]
    According to my inner investor, QE2 is a disaster and the wrong decision from a policy viewpoint.

According to my inner trader, the end of ZIRP will be a disaster for the markets (but necessary, according to my inner investor, for the system to adjust).
    May 1, 2011. 02:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • End of QE2 Setting the Climate for Substantial Downside in Asset Prices [View article]
    I never made an interest rate forecast in the article. To the contrary, I agree with David Rosenberg - contractions are inherently deflationary and therefore bond bullish.
    Apr 28, 2011. 04:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Time to Be a Market Hero [View article]
    We are precluded by securities regulators from posting performance for funds with a history of one year or less. Sorry.
    Apr 25, 2011. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Ready to Sell in May? Sounds Like a Good Idea [View article]
    For now, there are no real alternatives to Treasuries. At some point between QE3 and QE33, alternatives will appear.
    Apr 5, 2011. 12:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Ready to Sell in May? Sounds Like a Good Idea [View article]
    The Timer Model went back into the market in November.
    Apr 5, 2011. 12:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Ready to Sell in May? Sounds Like a Good Idea [View article]
    If you are asking about the Inflation Deflation Timer Model, then it does not. The Timer Model only consider commodity prices as they are considered to be the "canaries in the coal mine" of global growth and asset inflationary expectations.

If you are asking about my other forms of analysis, then the answer is yes.
    Apr 5, 2011. 12:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Someone Called the Cops to the Fed's Party [View article]
    In reply to your question, I use the charts mostly as a graphical illustration to make my point and they are not a formal part of my set of indicators. Having said that, I tend to prefer log charts as they tend to reflect percentage moves better than linear charts.

Incidentally, I don't have a Ph.D. so you shouldn't really address me as "Dr. Hui".
    Mar 16, 2011. 12:17 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Bearishly, While Trading Bullishly [View article]
    Chuck Prince was an "investor" and took forever to move the business lines of a financial behemoth around. I am a trader and move out on a moment's notice.

If I were a slow moving investor (and I have managed funds like that) I would be fairly defensive right now.
    Mar 1, 2011. 08:33 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Bearishly, While Trading Bullishly [View article]
    We are recovering from a balance sheet recession. In a balance sheet recession recovery, the system comes out of it highly stressed and any further shocks could create another financial crisis and send it all back down again. That's why we could have a repeat of 2008.
    Mar 1, 2011. 08:31 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good News for Bulls as Investors Get a Little Nervous [View article]
    I didn't write the headline, SA did. My original headline was "Stay long the risk trade": humblestudentofthemark...
    Jan 24, 2011. 10:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Emerging Markets-Commodity Disconnect [View article]
    Flash9 - They could indeed be distribution tops. But for now, I would give the trading range thesis the benefit of the doubt, but maintain tight stops should the charts break relative support.
    Jan 17, 2011. 09:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will We Have to Wait to Until 2017 for the Next Bull Market? [View article]
    If you look at the GMO 7-year return projections (see the link to Jeremy Grantham's comment), emerging market equities are forecast to have the second highest level of expected return after US high quality stocks.

Grantham believes that there is a bubble forming in emerging markets and I agree with him. Just remember that the BRIC markets are likely to be more volatile than US markets.
    Sep 7, 2010. 10:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting the Gold Standard [View article]
    See my post humblestudentofthemark...
    May 24, 2010. 03:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • James Grant Gets on the Investment Bank Train [View article]
    There are two separate issues:

1) Bringing back the partnership investment bank will naturally restrain excessive risk taking. Consider other partnership organizations, how many large legal and accounting firms have failed so badly that they threatened the system?

2) Second, bringing back the partnership IB doesn't solve the AIG problem. Listing OTC derivatives will bring more transparency, which will allow the market to better police the players. If market participants see a firm taking on excessive risk, then chances are it will have to a risk premium to transact in the market.
    Apr 25, 2010. 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment