Cam Hui

View Cam Hui's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Someone Called the Cops to the Fed's Party [View article]
    In reply to your question, I use the charts mostly as a graphical illustration to make my point and they are not a formal part of my set of indicators. Having said that, I tend to prefer log charts as they tend to reflect percentage moves better than linear charts.

Incidentally, I don't have a Ph.D. so you shouldn't really address me as "Dr. Hui".
    Mar 16 12:17 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Bearishly, While Trading Bullishly [View article]
    Chuck Prince was an "investor" and took forever to move the business lines of a financial behemoth around. I am a trader and move out on a moment's notice.

If I were a slow moving investor (and I have managed funds like that) I would be fairly defensive right now.
    Mar 1 08:33 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thinking Bearishly, While Trading Bullishly [View article]
    We are recovering from a balance sheet recession. In a balance sheet recession recovery, the system comes out of it highly stressed and any further shocks could create another financial crisis and send it all back down again. That's why we could have a repeat of 2008.
    Mar 1 08:31 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good News for Bulls as Investors Get a Little Nervous [View article]
    I didn't write the headline, SA did. My original headline was "Stay long the risk trade": humblestudentofthemark...
    Jan 24 10:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Emerging Markets-Commodity Disconnect [View article]
    Flash9 - They could indeed be distribution tops. But for now, I would give the trading range thesis the benefit of the doubt, but maintain tight stops should the charts break relative support.
    Jan 17 09:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will We Have to Wait to Until 2017 for the Next Bull Market? [View article]
    If you look at the GMO 7-year return projections (see the link to Jeremy Grantham's comment), emerging market equities are forecast to have the second highest level of expected return after US high quality stocks.

Grantham believes that there is a bubble forming in emerging markets and I agree with him. Just remember that the BRIC markets are likely to be more volatile than US markets.
    Sep 7 10:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting the Gold Standard [View article]
    See my post humblestudentofthemark...
    May 24 03:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • James Grant Gets on the Investment Bank Train [View article]
    There are two separate issues:

1) Bringing back the partnership investment bank will naturally restrain excessive risk taking. Consider other partnership organizations, how many large legal and accounting firms have failed so badly that they threatened the system?

2) Second, bringing back the partnership IB doesn't solve the AIG problem. Listing OTC derivatives will bring more transparency, which will allow the market to better police the players. If market participants see a firm taking on excessive risk, then chances are it will have to a risk premium to transact in the market.
    Apr 25 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is America's Middle Class Going the Way of China? [View article]
    The charts are taken from individual reports, all of which are cited and linked.
    Apr 15 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • All Roads Lead to Inflation - Bank for International Settlements [View article]
    Don't forget that America can also choose to drastically downsize the military. Given a choice between losing the military against keeping their medical benefits and their Social Security I think I know what the Boomers will pick.
    Apr 13 12:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Grant (Inflation) vs. Rosenberg (Deflation) Debate [View article]
    The link to the video was broken. Here is the correct link: www.grantspub.com/abou...
    Apr 6 01:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China: Time to Drink the Kool-Aid? [View article]
    I remain long-term bullish on China and emerging markets in general, but one has to be aware of turning points and we may be approaching an intermediate term turning point of significance.
    Mar 27 04:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk of Inflation Is Higher Than Expected [View article]
    You have to buy the RJ CRB and go long the Canadian Dollar through the ETF or the futures market.
    Mar 9 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AEI: Why Can't We Be More Like Canada? [View article]
    Bob Adamson -

I am not sure what you mean by "fail", but there were several near failures in the last 30 years:

Continental Bank
    Bank of BC (had to be sold to HSBC)
    Canadian Commercial Bank

Cam
    Mar 1 01:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Risks of Populist Social Backlashes Continue to Rise [View article]
    I had a reader comment complaining about how I compared George Washington to Osama bin Laden and asking whether Cam stands for camedian. I believe that I published that comment but unfortunately the comment got lost and I apologize.

In reply to that comment, consider the following scenario:

A guerrilla sympathizer finds out that government troops are about to raid the town where he is living. The sympathizer then runs around the town to rally the other fighters to assemble and confront the government troops. Remember that these guerrillas don’t wear uniforms and melt into the population. In a conventional war, captured non-uniformed combatants are regarded as spies and not accorded the niceties of the Geneva Convention.

Would that sympathizer be labelled a terrorist? If he is a terrorist, would you consider the head of his movement to be a terrorist?

Now consider the famous ride of Paul Revere and draw your own conclusions.

One man’s patriot is another’s terrorist.
    Feb 12 12:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment