Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Looking Beyond The Obvious: Critical Thinking And Investment Decisions (Part 1) [View article]
    "There is a lot of noise on the internet when it comes to investing. Sometimes it's hard to separate good advice from bad, regardless of where it comes from."

Sometimes authors can mean well, but the reader might not have all the knowledge or experience that they have. Not to talk about a different portfolio and mindset. So many factors! That's why critical thinking is a necessity.

I admit I'm guilty of selection bias and sometimes letting my brain go on zombie mode. :p

And I like what David Fish said above:
    "For example, I think we've seen many of these comments like the Instablog you cited, but often they overstate their conclusions by saying something like "therefore, all DG stocks will eventually fail." But obviously, that doesn't happen overnight, so it would be foolish to avoid today's "survivors" simply because they may someday stumble. After all, EVERY alternative investment that we can choose is currently a survivor."
    Jun 27, 2015. 03:40 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Mochas, thanks. I'll check out the book. :)
    Jun 26, 2015. 03:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    BoomBoom,

Thanks, I tend to forget that. Actually, I didn't really need the PCF MC. I got a Amazon Visa card that I get cash back from. I use this one regularly.
    Jun 24, 2015. 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Ever Overpay For A High Growth Company? [View article]
    Thanks Trade. Looks like the CFA institution made a publication on Expectations Investing. The pdf can be found here: http://cfa.is/1LpzcS6

I had the chance to check out the local Amazon office, and their automatic revolving doors are so cool!
    Jun 24, 2015. 11:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Ever Overpay For A High Growth Company? [View article]
    Larry, thanks for your kind comment.

Cheers,
    PIE
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Ever Overpay For A High Growth Company? [View article]
    Trade,

How do you figure out the future FCF per share for a company?
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Ever Overpay For A High Growth Company? [View article]
    Dunk, don't be too harsh on yourself. There are too many choices to choose from every time we have money to invest, and sometimes, we sleep better by sticking to what we are familiar with.
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Ever Overpay For A High Growth Company? [View article]
    Trade, interesting take on valuation using FCF. Where do you get your FCF number from? Do you check it with the specific company's website or use websites such as Morningstar?
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Dale & BoomBoom,

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, about keeping the churning low. For one thing, I can increase my patience on the buy points. But as you said BoomBoom, "The tricky part here is the view is always through the back mirror."

C
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    BoomBoom,

I just recently signed up for the PCF Mastercard and I use it every time I go to Superstore. :)
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Breege,

I used to pay everything with the credit card and pay it off every month to maximize the cash back. But it only took once of charging me double for me to stop paying small amounts with the credit card. Small amounts I won't bother to go back and argue with them, but if it's larger amount, I might still go through with the hassle.

I bought a small item at McDonald's and the worker there said the transaction didn't go through. So, I did it again. Later found out from the statement that I was charged twice.
    Jun 24, 2015. 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Matthew, the quick answer to that is a new car costs more in total dollars? But if it is really 0% financing, then, that could be an opportunity.

Either way, the problem is, I already sold what I sold. ^^!
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    RAS, thanks. That's a good, concrete example.
    Jun 23, 2015. 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    High, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, I sold the shares in the companies I mentioned in the article already. Next time, I need to make a big purchase, I'll remember this. ;)

And of course from other comments, I should build an emergency fund and 3-6 months of expenses MINIMUM. <-- just trying to ingrain in my head
    Jun 23, 2015. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    RAS, lol thanks. I'll need to think about the possible emergency situations then. It's definitely not a bad idea to stash away more cash right now.
    Jun 23, 2015. 01:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment