Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Hi Breege, I only DRIP on a few of my holdings, and I only DRIP if they are at least at fair value. I'm happy to hear HSE is working for you.

I haven't heard of TAL or TEF before. I believe BX is a limited partnership. That's why you got withholding tax on its distributions even though the units were held in the RRSP. I've stayed with US C-corps and eREITs and haven't ventured into MLP-land.

Thanks,
    Canadian
    Feb 24, 2015. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Hi Breege, I learned about the withholding tax on foreign dividends the hard way too. That's why I keep a record of "Foreign Dividends with No Withholding Tax - Companies List" on my blog: http://bit.ly/1uO6RZJ

Just because we can get their full dividends in the TFSA, doesn't mean we should buy all of them. But of course you know that. :) I just didn't want people to read this and jump on those companies. :p

I thought Husky was a buy around $24. It is at fair value now. I did not buy Husky because I already am fully allocated to the Energy sector. Additionally, since HSE cut its dividend in 2009, it has frozen it since. That said, its dividend seems to be safe, and its 4%+ yield maybe attractive to some investors for current income.

I have another article which you maybe interested in: "Reinvest Canadian Dividends at a Discount – Companies List": http://bit.ly/17TVYkh

Hope this helps,
    Canadian
    Feb 24, 2015. 02:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend-Stingy Wal-Mart Was Already On Probation, So What Now? [View article]
    Mike, thanks for the article, which led to an insightful comment stream. I hold a small position of WMT in my tax-deferred account and have held it for less than 2 years. I initially bought WMT for its high dividend growth, and I feel I was patient enough to have held it another year to see if it'd get any better, and it didn't. It is up over 30% thanks to the forex. I like to buy US dividend companies in my tax-deferred account but with the current forex, it's unlikely I'll do that. I set a limit order to sell to set aside a little dry powder. (My tax-deferred account only holds CAD.)

Canadian
    Feb 23, 2015. 03:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    positivethoughts,

When oil rebounds, true that the Canadian dollar would go higher, but then, it'll be higher cost for WJA. Looking at FAST Graph, WJA looks like a good candidate for further research. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Canadian
    Feb 23, 2015. 03:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Wretchedturkey & CBCJohn, I kind of see what you guys mean. The 20% discount only materializes given that eventually the Canadian dollar rises 20% compared to the USD, but CAD <-> USD at parity is not the norm.
    Feb 20, 2015. 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Timmies, thanks for your further insight. Something to think about.
    Feb 20, 2015. 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    BoomBoom, I missed WCP on the recent bottom. Seeing if I'll get another chance.
    Feb 20, 2015. 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    BoomBoom, good to see your trade is working out for you. :)
    Feb 20, 2015. 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Thanks for reading, Breege. "On the bright side, dividends paid on USD holdings sport the same 20%+/- "little something extra"..." -- True if your account only holds CAD. If it holds USD, then, the forex rate doesn't matter if you're not exchanging back into CAD.
    Feb 20, 2015. 03:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Founder,

From the forex chart in the article, it seems to be that the CAD should grow stronger. The question is when, and what range it would stabilize at.

"The currency discount gets you the shares cheaper but your divvy's take a haircut, so it cuts both ways." -- You buy Canadian assets at a discount, and when the CAD grows stronger again, you'll get a boost on the dividend. It's a similar play for when Canadians bought US dividend stocks when it was around parity, and now, they can enjoy the 20% boost in dividends.

"Interesting take on the USD/CAD and the price of oil. I've never thought of making the connection until you pointed it out." -- And thanks for reading and your comments. It's mind boggling to visualize the Loonie going down to 64 cents...that'll be some extreme!
    Feb 20, 2015. 03:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Peter, buying IMO instead of XOM for Canadians. That's a suggestion to think about. I wish IMO had a higher yield though.
    Feb 19, 2015. 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave:

No worries, just putting it out there. The question is, if the forex situation is spot on, then, should a Canadian investor who own US stocks be selling them and take advantage of the forex advantage? However, that doesn't make sense if one is building a diversified portfolio. We all know how "diversified" the Canadian economy is... My guess is the forex, just like the market will smooth out in the long run. So, in the meantime, we can take advantage of what we can to the point that it makes sense for our own portfolios.

Canadian
    Feb 19, 2015. 04:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Timmies,

Well, there's some attraction to XOM. Its S&P credit rating is AAA, and it has been raising its dividends for 32 years, and another raise is expected in Q2. That said, XOM is less attractive to a Canadian due to the forex rate right now.

There looks like to be more pain coming, but no pain, no gain. Time to go meditate and ignore the volatility.
    Feb 19, 2015. 02:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Dave, I wish I had that kind of connection. Nope, just my observations and theory.
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Pim, I wish I did the same, but in hindsight, there's always something better we could do. Don't be too harsh on yourself.
    Feb 19, 2015. 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment