Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investing: It's Not The Number Of Shares, But The Invested Capital That Matters [View article]
    wmimis, I heard about that. Definitely a nice way to invest for US investors. Looks like someone from Canada could create an account with Scottrade as well. (http://bit.ly/1qw6a7R) I wonder how the tax reporting would work though.
    Sep 1 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Reinvesting the dividends through a dividend reinvestment plan will mean allocating more capital to a given stock. As far as I can tell, US investors enjoy the freedom of reinvesting dividends for partial shares. As a Canadian, I can only DRIP full shares. Thus, most of the time, I'm pooling my received dividends with new capital for a purchase. In doing so, I can choose to invest into the best value for my portfolio, keeping allocation in mind.

I've published an article about "When to DRIP and when to Reinvest Dividends Manually" here: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Aug 31 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hardog, agreed.
    Aug 29 09:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Ryan, learning about dividend investing can be enjoyable and rewarding.

To start, you can check out these people's articles/comments:
    David Van Knapp (from above), Chuck Carnevale, David Crosetti, chowder, Eddie Herring, Mike Nadel, Regarded Solutions, Dividend Growth Investor, Tim McAleenan Jr., Eli Inkrot, Brad Thomas (on REITs), and Dale Roberts (on ETFs)

Wish you the best on your dividend investing journey!
    Canadian
    Aug 27 12:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Matthew, ironically, I didn't have it down when I started putting money into the market. I knew about dividend stocks and thats where I started from, but I didn't even know about Value Investing and Growth Investing at the time. Whoops!

For anyone thinking of investing in individual stocks, other than these concepts, should also keep track of your progress...what you expected the outcome to be, and what actually happens. And reflect upon that process and improve it.
    Aug 27 12:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    crazty, thanks for reading. CVX is a nice core holding.
    Aug 27 12:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    supersqueeks, nope, missed that one. Thanks for catching it! I've requested for a correction.
    Aug 27 12:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pendragon, yes, thank you for making it clearer. I have added this in bullet point 4 in the "Summary" in the article.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Aug 27 12:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    John, you don't have to sell your shares in an IRA to cover for the RMD. You can transfer some of your shares from the IRA to a taxable account as the RMD.
    Aug 27 12:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "So the pricier ones must be better right?" -- lol I, on the other hand, thought the pricer ones are more expensive and so I avoided them (before I learned about valuation that is)
    Aug 27 12:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Congratulations on booking the nice gains!

"You just can't know what's going to happen" -- you can say that again!

Good that you set a cap on GILD's max allocation. I haven't decided what that is yet. I'll probably keep holding as long as it keeps performing (business-wise).

There's a lot to digest in the Burger King and Tim Horton's deal. I can't help but think there's some emotion in today's price as well.
    Aug 27 12:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    But that's the thing. You can't write an article and expect to get millions of page views. Even a few hundred thousand as far-fetched.

No matter what you choose to do, just remember to keep track of what you're doing and its results. If something is not going the way you planned it to, that means you need to tweak/change your plan.
    Aug 27 12:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    combatcorpsman, now that depends if the investor is comfortable holding a concentrated portfolio. It's a personal question which only each individual investor can answer for themselves.
    Aug 26 01:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Craig, yea, it's a numbers game. :D
    Aug 26 01:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pendragon, but the price you paid (per share) determines the yield you get.

You know what? I think we're kinda talking about the same thing here. We are just looking in different perspectives.

- number of shares you hold determines how much dividend income you receive
    - the amount of invested capital (and the price you paid per share) determines the yield you get. Investing the same amount of capital, the lower price you paid, the higher yield you get, and voila, the more the shares you get as well too

We ARE talking about the same thing. Again, just different perspective. And I still think it matters to view investments in terms of how much capital is invested and not just how many shares one holds.
    Aug 26 01:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment