Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Q4 2014 Update: Core Changes In My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    wienec, what you said makes good sense.

I just bought a small increment in CVX today as it hit my limit price around $102 at 4.2% yield. As I'm doing my "paper work", I see that these shares (cost per share) actually cost more than the shares I bought back in October 2013 around $115. Why? Foreign exchange rate. Today, for $1 USD, I needed $1.2172 CDN. Other than that the Canadian dollar is much lower due to lower oil price, my bank also takes about 2% more each time I make a forex transaction of sorts.

So, other than taxes, perhaps for the ones who need to deal with it, also need to think about forex rate.
    Jan 14, 2015. 07:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Currently, I've got a smaller position in D.UN compared to DRG.UN. I'm currently also DRIPing DRG.UN. I actually started looking into them when you and a friend of mine mentioned them. It's hard to pass on the high yields. They're both in my tax-advantaged accounts.
    Jan 13, 2015. 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, thanks for sharing your outlook. Which good REITs do you have on your list?
    Jan 12, 2015. 01:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Timmies,

Thanks, Happy 2015 to you too.

Yes, I fear there maybe some softness in Canadian banks. That said, BNS's yield is starting to look interesting again ~4.2%.

For Telus, I will look again when it yields north of 4%.

I think for V, I was worried about its valuation. Currently, M* indicates slightly overvalued with 2-stars. If it hits the normal P/E line on FAST, I might add it back depending on capital availability.

Yep, still don't see the light at the end of the tunnel for BBL and SLB yet. Patience needed.

I replaced some KO shares with the Canadian REIT, Dream Global (TSX:DRG.UN).

Yes, I have a fidgety finger. :p Since focusing more on dividend (growth), I have already traded less.

I have this nagging feeling that we may have some sort of correction (and the correction for the oil companies has already occurred). My friend just reminded me the other day to set aside some cash, as it's a drag to not be able to buy when a correction happens. That said, I'm not doing major liquidation, as this is speculating and timing the market..
    Jan 11, 2015. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Stocks: Acquiring The Acquirers [View article]
    Thanks Faye, I didn't know that any stocks that trades on the TSX qualify as eligible dividends. I expect there would be exceptions. For example, between 2012 and 2013, Enbridge's dividend wasn't fully eligible. (source: http://bit.ly/IJCH5J)
    Jan 9, 2015. 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Stocks: Acquiring The Acquirers [View article]
    Thanks BoomBoom.
    Jan 9, 2015. 01:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Stocks: Acquiring The Acquirers [View article]
    Does Whitecap pay an eligible Canadian dividend? I can't find that information on its website.
    Jan 9, 2015. 02:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Stocks: Acquiring The Acquirers [View article]
    Hey Faye, amidst this oil price volatility, I sold a piece of ENB for a starter position in IPL. I also added to SU too soon. Will be monitoring them. CPG's dividend looks so juicy...I'm afraid to add companies which have "super high yields" such as 8% or higher, as they may indicate riskier. As you said, there's a possibility CPG may cut its dividend, which would cause a selloff (so in risk of capital loss if one could be an emotional trader).
    Jan 8, 2015. 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Oil Stocks: Acquiring The Acquirers [View article]
    "Editor's Note: This article discusses one or more securities that do not trade on a major exchange. Please be aware of the risks associated with these stocks."

Faye, it must be because you talked about IPL, which is OTC:IPPFL. Hope SA eventually allow tickers to be marked as (TSX:IPL) instead.
    Jan 8, 2015. 04:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    On2Freedom, KMI is a C-corp. I hold it in my RRSP and there's no withholding tax on its dividends.

Big Data is happening, and IBM has been investing in the cloud data centres. We'll see how that plays out.

Nice pickup on CVX. "Value is important and getting a good entry price is vital to long term profits, dividends and downside protection." We're on the same page.
    Jan 5, 2015. 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Matthew, I did average down on SU. If anything, focusing more on dividends has helped me to hold on to my holdings longer. Generally, that has improved my returns.

Thanks,
    Canadian
    Jan 5, 2015. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Disturber, we all have different tax situations. Since you brought it up though. There have been times where I held onto an Energy company which had 24% unrealized capital gains at one point. It only paid me a dividend of 2.5%-3%. I didn't take the capital gain. Oil price dropped. Now, I'm in the red. Should I have taken the profit while I could even if I had to pay capital gains tax? I sure think so now, but this is looking back in hindsight. And in reality, it's really hard to time purchases and sales.
    Jan 5, 2015. 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Cooper, as a younger investor I felt they grew slow, but I know some have performed well in the past year (e.g. SO). That said, its valuation has risen so it's not a good time to buy.

Utilities sure add stability and slow but steady growth to a portfolio. I will look forward to the opportunity to add some utilities when the opportunity arises.
    Jan 5, 2015. 02:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin, partly on whether to sell apart or completely depends on my perceived valuation of the company, how big a position I have, and what I bought the position for (more for income or capital gains or both).

I "upgraded" AMGN and BAX to core because they have good credit ratings and are dividend challengers.

It's hard to say really..as I said above, I feel I need to make my rules clearer. And maybe I'm not sure of what all the rules should be, as I'm still learning and experimenting.
    Jan 5, 2015. 02:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mk, thanks. It's continuous learning from day 1 until the end of time. In terms of being disciplined, I think I need clearer rules in my plan. I'm not sure if reacting or following my gut feelings is the the best thing to do, as I think of emotional trading when I read that. I think it's better if I made clearer rules on what to do for buys, sells, cores, non-cores, speculatives...decide on those before hand. When the situation arises for something to be done (as stated in my plan), do it.
    Jan 5, 2015. 02:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment