Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    It's a good time to do stress tests on any stock portfolios...will the market near its all-time high. Dave, thanks for the reminder and the example.
    Mar 25, 2015. 02:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Unlikely Stock To Build A Retirement Portfolio Upon At Any Age [View article]
    RS: Thank you for writing a nice summary on the story of GE from 2008 to the present. Is it just me or should 300% be 200% here?

"Obviously nowhere near its previous highs of the mid-2000s, but roughly 300% from the disaster of 2009."

Shouldn't it be:
    (final - initial) / initial =
    (25 - 8) / 8 = "roughly 200%"

Enjoy reading your articles as always. :)
    Mar 20, 2015. 01:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stay The Course: See Income Compounding Results In The Early Years Of A Dividend Growth Strategy [View article]
    Canidam,

I agree LOW and SBUX are good businesses with high growth; however, I won't overpay for them. FAST graphs indicate LOW is almost 2 years ahead on earnings although it looks fully valued based on the P/CFL graph. I'll admit though that looked at LOW when it was $46 and went sideways for awhile. I didn't pull the trigger because it looked fully valued at the time based on earnings. And now look what happens. So, looking back in hindsight I should have bought a small position for starters and then wait and see.
    Mar 14, 2015. 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Motors Is Playing Out Its Comeback Story [View article]
    Hi Jerry, thanks, I see what you mean.

"The greater buying power you feel in Canada is only because it takes time for companies and the government to raise prices and taxes to compensate for the lost value in the loonie." - Maybe by the time companies and the government's policies take into effect, the loonie is worth more again, as it goes up and down as always.
    Mar 14, 2015. 01:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I've Fallen In Love, With Dividends [View article]
    WallStreetDebunker,

This article is tagged under the categories of Dividends & Income, and Income Investing Strategy. Have you checked out SA's ETF category at: http://bit.ly/1x2fM1n It also has a subcategory on Portfolio Strategy & Asset Allocation: http://bit.ly/1x2fM1o
    Mar 13, 2015. 04:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Don't Lie: The Dead Money REITs [View article]
    Thanks Brad, I enjoyed your article on REITs and avoiding mistakes. When I first started investing (and sometimes even now), I focus on the returns, but assessing the risks and downside is just as important.
    Mar 13, 2015. 03:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buh-Bye Wal-Mart, Hello Emerson Electric, Qualcomm And AbbVie [View article]
    BoomBoom, that certainly helps me put it in a new perspective about the forex. I'll think about it. Thanks!
    Mar 12, 2015. 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Motors Is Playing Out Its Comeback Story [View article]
    Jerry, I'm a Canadian living in Canada.

"Problem is if you sell today and convert back into Canadian dollars you have more of them but they are worth 20% less." - If I sold, the Canadian dollars are only worth 20% less if the groceries I buy and the bills I pay have risen by 40% since I made my purchase of GM shares.
    Mar 12, 2015. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buh-Bye Wal-Mart, Hello Emerson Electric, Qualcomm And AbbVie [View article]
    BoomBoom,

But the forex goes both ways (while Scotiabank takes about 2% more each way every time). So if I had bought ABBV right after the WMT sale, at best, I didn't gain or loss from the forex, but had to pay Scotiabank 4% extra plus the trading fees.

That's why I think it's time to look domestic for Canadians vs. US stocks...unless those smart Canadians who converted as much CAD to USD as possible when it was at parity.
    Mar 11, 2015. 06:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buh-Bye Wal-Mart, Hello Emerson Electric, Qualcomm And AbbVie [View article]
    Hey Mike, your articles are always easy reads. I wanted to pull the trigger after the pullback on AbbVie after selling WMT, as my portfolio could use more HealthCare exposure. However, Scotiabank says I need to pay 29%+ for the forex from CAD to USD! So, I'm very reluctant to buy any US stocks at this point even though there are some like AbbVie that I want to buy.

Now my proceeds from the WMT sale is just sitting there. I have a feeling I'll end up buying a Canadian REIT instead.

Anyway, just wanted to say I really enjoy your articles. Keep them coming.

...Now onto reading the comments.
    Mar 11, 2015. 03:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Often Overlooked Danger When Investing In S&P 500 Utility Stocks - Part 10A [View article]
    Nice article, but with the forex rate from USD/CAD at 1.26+, it's unlikely I will buy US stocks, and particularly not slower growth US stocks. Though, I will keep an eye on Canadian utility stocks for my fellow Canadians.
    Mar 7, 2015. 02:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Investing: It's Riskier Than You Probably Think [View article]
    That was one long comment stream. Anyway, yes, it's important to buy at fair valuation or better. Maybe some investors like to hand pick stocks at a value no matter what valuation the market is at. Other investors would like to wait till a substantial drop in the market after a multi-year bull run before buying again.

Just wanted to point out for fellow Canadians, other than the Canadian banks and Energy companies, you may find some gems in the Canadian eREIT-dom. However, there will probably be volatility there with the inevitable, eventual interest rate hikes. If you decide certain Canadian eREITs fit your portfolio, remember to buy them in your TFSA or RRSP to avoid the tax hassle as they don't payout eligible Canadian dividends.
    Mar 7, 2015. 12:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Warren Buffett Sold Exxon Mobil And Bought Suncor Energy [View article]
    Domovyk, thanks for sharing your insight. It's true no one knows how long oil will stay low for and where the Canadian dollar decides to sit compared to the USD next.

No matter what you choose to do, I wish you all success in your investing strategy.
    Cheers,
    Canadian
    Mar 5, 2015. 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Peace. I do have a plan but it needs to be clearer at places and refined. The Bob Wells & Chowder Project 3 Million that you mentioned are excellent resources to learn from!
    Mar 3, 2015. 06:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Peace,

Congratulations on your successful DGI path and thank you for sharing your stories! They always make me warm and fuzzy inside. I can see how holding lower yield, higher growth quality companies can contribute a lot to a DGI portfolio in terms of total return and the choice of "decapitating" a hydra head to fertilize a higher yielder for current income. However, my twitchy finger wants to sell those high growth companies when I see nice capital gains. That is my risk of buying high growth companies...the twitchy finger cuts my winners. I regret for selling ROST too soon, but I regret even more for not buying some LOW when it consolidated for a year below $50. Anyhow, learning and gaining experience everyday from SA. Likewise, I learn and enjoy reading how others manage their portfolios.

Best,