Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Identifying The Core Holdings In My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BB, it's alright. I never clarified. lol but thanks
    Jan 7 02:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kevin, Inz mentioned the same strategy the other day. Very smart!

ha! I do use a TFSA. But I actually lost money in there. Found out after I sold some stuff for a loss that I can't report a capital loss. Duh! That's why I suggest to people new to investing to start in the taxable/non-registered account first, and learn the ropes, before investing in the TFSA or RRSP. But hey, I'm only speaking from my experience. And everyone's experience is different.

kevin, I think it's amazing what you're doing in your TFSA. For me, because of my past experience in the TFSA, I now stick to buying what I deem safe in there. (and of course, at proper valuation)
    Jan 7 02:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    What a lively commentary!

Inz, I'm definitely not high net-worth. lol I learned that tracking what I'm doing is essential. Believe it or not, I didn't do that when I started. I just enjoyed trading and didn't look at overall how I'm doing. That was pure ignorance on my part. Tracking, and reviewing the results allow one to know whether their strategy is working or not. And keep doing what's working.

I actually enjoy what I'm doing, but if I do meet a suitable advisor down the road, then, I'll be merrier.
    Jan 7 02:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

Thanks for chiming in about the financial advisors. It'd be interesting to hear your story. Have you considered writing on SA?

Most of the people I know are hearing about investing from me. The first reaction would be "It's so risky!" or "That's gambling!" ...I guess they aren't totally wrong. I did "gamble" when I first started because I was exploring about "investing" at the time and played something risky. And of course I lost money. I'm glad, I have a much healthier mind set now. :)
    Jan 7 01:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I shied away from buying the US REITs before, because I read a document from RBC. Here's a quote:

"Canadian residents who receive ordinary dividends from
    U.S. REITs are normally subject to a 30% withholding tax.
    However, there is a reduced withholding tax of only 15%
    under the Treaty if the investor is an individual (including
    an estate or testamentary trust that acquired the REIT as
    a consequence of the individual’s death, for the five year
    period following the death) and holds an interest of less than 10% of the trust.

Prior to 2005, distributions from a U.S. REIT that were designated as capital gains were subject to a 35% withholding tax. Capital gain distributions made after 2004 won’t generally be subject to the 35% rate. Where the REIT stock is regularly traded on a U.S. securities
    market and the investor owns 5% or less of the REIT stock,
    the withholding rate will vary from 0% to 30%, depending
    on the type of investor. Where these conditions are not met,
    the 35% withholding rate will continue to apply. These
    withholding taxes can be used as a foreign tax credit on
    the investor’s Canadian tax return in order to prevent the
    double taxation of the income generated by the investment
    in the REIT.

Similar to U.S. based mutual funds, any capital gain
    distributions from U.S. REITs will be taxable as foreign
    income at marginal tax rates and not be eligible for the
    50% capital gain inclusion rate."

Tax Planning Tip from the same document: "Interest and dividend income from U.S. sources is not subject to withholding taxes if those securities are held by a Canadian registered plan such as an RSP or RIF that is held for the purpose of providing retirement benefits."

source of document: http://bit.ly/1eDJJGJ

(Notice the document is from 2005, so maybe outdated)

Looks like whether US REIT has withholding tax on the dividend depends on if the REIT pays an "ordinary" dividend or not. Maybe it states that on its website?

What we know is, the list of US REITs above mentioned by fellow Canadians don't have the withholding tax in the RRSP. A friend of my holds Realty Income (O) in the RRSP, and also no withholding tax on the dividend.
    Jan 7 01:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Peter,

Thanks for reading and the suggestions.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Jan 6 01:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

I don't feel the need for one right now. Timmies was mentioning he talks to his financial advisor from time to time, so I just mentioned I currently don't have one. That is all.
    Jan 6 01:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, thank you for sharing your real world experience. Very invaluable. I'm learning by reading on SA (articles & comments), reading financial books (about dividend growth and value investing mostly), and reading other investors' blogs occasionally. I don't have a financial advisor currently. The financial advisor at my local branch keeps getting switched up. I don't even know the person that's working there anymore. I don't know why they do that, but that seems to be the norm.

What I've learned is that knee-jerk reactions are usually overdone. Like the Canadian telcos drop in the summer. That's why I was able to not sell Rogers at the bottom. I figured if there was something affecting the whole sector essentially, then, either the whole sector disappears or it doesn't. The latter is more likely.

...but then, there are counter examples as well, like for DLR. It dropped and dropped ever more. So, I suppose it really depends. ha!

So, for investors who are starting out, stick to the high quality, traditional stocks first...you know, the common ones like KO, JNJ, WMT, CVX, XOM, MCD, KMB, CL, PG, T, SO, to name a few. before branching out to the other less traditional companies. Oh, and of course, check valuations before buying.

Admire you for having held BCE for that long. I hope I'll have companies like that 10, 20 years from now.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Jan 5 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cashing In Some Gains From Ross Stores To Diversify My Income Stream [View article]
    astarr,

It is a nice growth stock indeed.

Best for 2014,
    Canadian
    Jan 5 04:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kevin, great point about paying down debt and as a result, paying as little interest as possible.
    Jan 5 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Inz. Maybe you're right about the clearly defined goal of income for retirees (or near retirees), while not as clear for younger investors. I agree with you about having a specific goal for each company. I gave a goal for each of my holdings above, mainly if it's for income, for growth, or for both, except there's no concrete number of how much income (or the yield) or how much growth is expected. :p

I look forward to reading your next article. :)
    Jan 5 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    hat, interesting holdings you got there. Hope they continue to work for you. :)
    Jan 5 04:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

You are right! I didn't realize it.
    Jan 5 02:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom, nice catch!
    Jan 5 02:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kevin,

I read your bio. What a story! I will think long and hard about what you said. Thanks for commenting. :)

Canadian