Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Adding To The Core For My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Gary, that's a good point about the currency. FAST Graphs might use CDN because the company originally pays in CDN. Not sure how the annual dividend is calculated. Maybe there's a discrepancy between your number and FAST Graph's number because you guys are using rolling periods starting from different months?
    Feb 5 02:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding To The Core For My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    alexco, thanks for commenting. Too bad I started my KMI position before the market pullback. Oh well, it was still a good yield.
    Feb 5 02:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding To The Core For My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks BoomBoom!
    Feb 5 02:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cashing In Some Gains From Ross Stores To Diversify My Income Stream [View article]
    Above, I commented "hoping to get shares in the $67 to $70 range".

Not a bad entry point to buy some Ross shares at $66 now. Disclosure: added a small position at $68.
    Feb 4 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Purchased This Wide-Moat Dividend Stock Last Month [View article]
    Nice article. Also added some KO shares near 3% yield (will be over 3% with the dividend raise that's coming soon).
    Feb 3 12:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    Cranky, I'm watching THI. It just keeps on going up! It'd be nice to grab some BNS shares at the 4% yield on this pullback, but it is already my biggest holding. (I trimmed a bit on it when it was up 10% also, and that was a mistake because it later ran up to 20% unrealized gain, and now back down to 13%.) So, I'm just leaving it alone and letting it DRIP now. Thanks for dropping by!
    Jan 30 02:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Only Reason For Automatic Dividend Reinvestment [View article]
    40YearOldFather, you can, but the compounding process is slower. If you're reinvesting the dividends (and you get a dividend every quarter), you're compounding quarterly. If you accumulate the dividends and wait for next year's contribution to add to the lump sum, your compounding happens annually.
    Jan 29 03:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    pin, Any dip is nice. Just need to check the valuation. ;)
    Jan 28 11:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    elvis, thanks for your perspective. I see ENB as having to invest in building the pipes first, and then getting the cash flowing in from the transportation of oil/gas.
    Jan 28 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    RCI could benefit from the NHL deal, but it also has the highest debt/cap out of the 3.
    Jan 28 11:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    Timmies, I'm thinking of partnering up ENB with KMI. As usual, thanks for your suggestions. I'm always on the look out for opportunities. In fact, there are always too many to choose from, it's hard to choose the "right " one.
    Jan 28 11:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    cymbalta, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 28 11:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    Thanks dunnhaupt. CNR is on my watch list.
    Jan 28 11:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Snowball Down A Hill: My Dividend Growth Portfolio 2013-2014 Report [View article]
    Dave,

I enjoyed reading this clear and concise article. I especially like your table of dividends received with the goal bolded at the bottom, and the line graph comparing actual dividends received and the goal's path, indicating you're 1.5 years ahead of schedule!

Thank you for sharing a real life example. It's working beautifully!
    Canadian
    Jan 24 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    juano,

Sorry, your comment is not meant for me, but here is what I've read. We have a similar tax-deferred account here in Canada, and we also have the equivalent of the Minimum Required Distributions for when one reaches 70.5 years old. I've read about that you could transfer shares out of the account and into a taxable account. So, you don't have to sell the shares. But of course, when you transfer the shares out, you have to pay the tax. Dividend income from those shares in the taxable account also requires paying tax on. I suspect in the US, you can do something similar.

Hope this helps,