Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Buyandhold, thanks for your advice. Your comments always make me visualize the long-term which I need to do more of. :)
    May 10 01:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Buyandhold,

Going back to your statement of "There is no question that dividend growth investors should be adequately diversified in order to minimize the damage to their portfolios if one or two of their stocks should suddenly tank." I thought it could be quite damaging if you were a young investor and you only held 5 stocks. ...unless of course one knows what they're doing and are very confident about it, then it's ok to hold a small number of stocks in the portfolio

I'm under 30, and I have 33 holdings. I do notice that I'm trading too much and probably trading too little in terms of dollar amount each time, such that I'm paying a lot of commission fees (too much for my liking). Going forward, I aim to trade less and to add to core, quality holdings when they're priced at a fair value or better.
    May 8 02:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Did You Buy The Last Dip? You Should Have, But There Will Be Others [View article]
    DD, that's a nice way to start researching companies to buy. It maybe simple, but certainly a good starting point for beginners.
    May 8 02:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I 'Played' My Microsoft Shares And What I'm Doing With Them [View article]
    kolpin, thanks for reading! I will probably take some partial profit if it become extremely overvalued, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. For example, I took some profits off from Ross Stores when I felt it became extremely overvalued. The decision-making was detailed in this article: http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 5 02:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ruffdog, yep, it was apparently pretty crazy back in 2000 about the tech bubble.
    May 4 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot,

Nice ~ I think it'll do the opposite for me if I start thinking about investing in bed lol
    May 4 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    richin10, if my memory serves me right, the normal P/E is based on historical data such that it takes out the outliers. I suspect it is plotted similarly like the black price line which is plotted using the last day of each month. If you change the time period of the graph, the normal P/E would change. For example, the 15-year graph above has the normal P/E at 23, but the high ratio is due mostly to the overvaluation between 2001 and 2008. If I change it to a 10-year graph, the normal P/E is 14.6, close to the expected 15 because the overvaluation period is taken out. I personally expect MSFT to trade at at least P/E 15 under normal circumstances, if not at a slight premium.
    May 3 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Steve, thanks for sharing your story with QCOM. Amazing that you held through the ups and downs (esp. 1999, 2000). I initiated a position in it last year; only wish I had bought more.

Canadian
    May 3 06:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot, at the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with what you're holding, rather how much you're holding in this case. If it's making you lose sleep or even making you worry too much about it, then maybe you should partial sell for your peace of mind.
    May 3 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spring Changes [View article]
    Faye, thanks for the detailed response! Here's Taxtips.ca definition of "deemed disposition": http://bit.ly/1moICi6

I will continue to refer back to our conversation here when I need to deal with Canadian tax reporting.

Thank you for your tremendous help!

Cheerios,
    Canadian
    May 3 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Slackshot,

First time I heard of Xamarin. On first glance it looks to have potential: write the same code in C# to be used in iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows
    May 3 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies,

If someone bought Microsoft back in 2000, it was too bad that they didn't recognize it was overvalued. Of course it would have been dead money. Actually, if it were for a bad company, it might have been worse than dead bad, more like lose money. At least a dividend was initiated in 2003 and mostly increased since.

Buying at proper valuations prevents the dead money scenario.

Thanks for dropping by,
    Canadian
    May 3 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot, my MSFT position is not excessively overweight currently. And don't some say, let your winners run? If the company is doing fine, I'll just keep letting the dividend and price to grow slow and steady
    May 3 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jim, you're not averaging down, but averaging up if you buy at a greater price than $14.39. That 7.7% yield on cost is something to drool over :) Can't wait till I get there.

Canadian
    May 3 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Many also try to get almost all their gains in a regular account as long term capital gains." - That's a nice little, but power goal to stick to, as long as your picks are "high quality" and meant for long-term holding.
    May 3 10:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment