Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How I 'Played' My Microsoft Shares And What I'm Doing With Them [View article]
    Steve, thanks for sharing your story with QCOM. Amazing that you held through the ups and downs (esp. 1999, 2000). I initiated a position in it last year; only wish I had bought more.

Canadian
    May 3 06:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot, at the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with what you're holding, rather how much you're holding in this case. If it's making you lose sleep or even making you worry too much about it, then maybe you should partial sell for your peace of mind.
    May 3 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spring Changes [View article]
    Faye, thanks for the detailed response! Here's Taxtips.ca definition of "deemed disposition": http://bit.ly/1moICi6

I will continue to refer back to our conversation here when I need to deal with Canadian tax reporting.

Thank you for your tremendous help!

Cheerios,
    Canadian
    May 3 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Slackshot,

First time I heard of Xamarin. On first glance it looks to have potential: write the same code in C# to be used in iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows
    May 3 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies,

If someone bought Microsoft back in 2000, it was too bad that they didn't recognize it was overvalued. Of course it would have been dead money. Actually, if it were for a bad company, it might have been worse than dead bad, more like lose money. At least a dividend was initiated in 2003 and mostly increased since.

Buying at proper valuations prevents the dead money scenario.

Thanks for dropping by,
    Canadian
    May 3 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot, my MSFT position is not excessively overweight currently. And don't some say, let your winners run? If the company is doing fine, I'll just keep letting the dividend and price to grow slow and steady
    May 3 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jim, you're not averaging down, but averaging up if you buy at a greater price than $14.39. That 7.7% yield on cost is something to drool over :) Can't wait till I get there.

Canadian
    May 3 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Many also try to get almost all their gains in a regular account as long term capital gains." - That's a nice little, but power goal to stick to, as long as your picks are "high quality" and meant for long-term holding.
    May 3 10:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Moon Kil, thanks for reading. One way I'm preventing myself from trading too much is by identifying core holdings (which I plan to hold for long-term), non-core holdings which maybe eventually moved to core or maybe for trades, and speculative holdings which are for trades only. Ideally, core holdings make up the majority of the portfolio, and speculative holdings make up no more than 5% of my portfolio.

Canadian
    May 2 01:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spring Changes [View article]
    Hi Faye, I was just imitating your ENB example with my MSFT shares. I'm wondering what happens if instead of selling the shares in a taxable account, I transferred them to my registered account. For tax reporting purposes, does it count as a sale (at the price that you transferred the price in)?

Another question also is how would you apply the foreign exchange rate (USD to CDN) to determine the actual purchase/sale price? I heard that one could look up the exchange rate on the day of the transaction or use the average exchange rate for the entire year for simplicity. Where do you look up the exchange rate?

Thanks,
    Canadian
    May 2 01:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson's Dividend Increase [View article]
    Better than someone who bought it ~$63 and then went in and out until finally selling out at ~$70 lol Yep, that was me. It was a hard lesson learned. (Not the worst lesson though. ;))

I think timing is still essential for total return results. Timing, as in buying shares of quality companies when they are undervalued. When JNJ was $67, it was undervalued. Now, it's arguably fair valued if you assign a premium P/E of ~18 to JNJ.
    Apr 29 02:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    DVK, an informative article on defining stock "quality". Thank you for doing the research and the write up.

Cheerios,
    Canadian
    Apr 29 02:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Thanks Mike! Love to hear about dividend increases. It's hard to keep track of all the increases (and it's not like I have hundreds of holdings!), so it's the highlight of my day to hear about the PG increase from you. :)
    Apr 11 01:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Hey Timmies,

I agree! When I first started "investing", I didn't track my progress, and I thought losing a little didn't matter as long as I won a little elsewhere, but before I knew it, the little losses added up. Now, adopting dividend growth and value investing as my main strategy, and identifying core holdings, non-core holdings, and speculative holdings, I'm sure I'll trade less. I also track what I do now (the trades, and dividends received, and dividend growth of each holding). I think another good thing to track will be the amount of transaction fees I spend in a quarter.

My current tech stocks: MSFT, QCOM, IBM, CSCO. AAPL is one that I traded before. I'm looking to build an emergency fund right now, so I'm refraining from trading for awhile. Somehow, to build that emergency fund I think it might be best for me to create a separate savings account and put in a set amount every month...otherwise, I'll just find something to invest in lol...

I think I have enough speculative plays for now: just added PCLN and CELG recently. Now I feel like I should have waited longer because somehow the Canadian dollar is strengthening. I could have saved a few bucks on the forex.

I have a small position in BP, but that's it for my internationals. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Apr 11 01:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Cool, good to know. Thanks J-L :)
    Apr 11 01:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment