Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investing: It's Not The Number Of Shares, But The Invested Capital That Matters [View article]
    alalala, even if you're only concerned about dividend growth, the amount of capital invested and the valuation you bought the shares at will determine your income. The cheaper you bought at, the higher your income with the same amount of invested capital.

Thanks, I sent in for a correction to change "Book Value" to "Invested Capital". That is indeed clearer.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Aug 26, 2014. 01:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    EDGI, he's actually mostly doing options...so it could go up or down a few hundred percents in a few days. I don't understand how he's able to cope with that. I don't think I'll be able to cope with the emotional roller coaster ride. Thus, I think he'll find index investing to be of too little volatility for him to get a good gain.
    Aug 26, 2014. 01:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Do I Stick To The Slow, But Sure Process Of Dividend Growth Investing? [View article]
    zed337v, good to know you are diversified in other things amongst your army of utilities. Saving a portion of each pay check and investing intelligently and as emotionless as possible is the way to go!
    Aug 20, 2014. 10:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the elaboration and the OANDA site, 3WallPaul.
    Aug 20, 2014. 10:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Water Buffalo, thanks! I currently hold a couple REITs. One US one and one Canadian one. I bought the US one in my RRSP (retirement account)...waiting for its first distribution. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping there's no tax withholding on the distribution. I can't be sure because it's a REIT. Well, we'll see soon enough.

O is on my watch list. I missed it when it went below $40. Thanks for your suggestions!
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    duster, it's not boring when I receive the dividends in my account and count them up at the end of the month. :) I agree that regular contributions and investing for the long-term sets for a financially secure retirement.

To avoid buying at too high a price on stocks, the retail investor can check the company valuation levels via Morningstar.com, Value Line at the local library, and F.A.S.T. Graphs (requires basic subscription) but well worth it in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dividend Junkie1, thanks. You're well on your way by reinvesting your dividends and keeping track of their growth. Best of luck in your investing journey!
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Silverbug, thanks for sharing the link. Looks like a great article. I will bookmark it for a closer read. Currently, I have a mix of high yield (~5%), moderate yield (~3%) and low (<2%) to no yield. lol Wait, that almost covers the whole spectrum. Most of my core is in the moderate yield category.
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    johnch, I suppose it depends on the preference of each investor. Some like to start by buying ETFs so they're diversified right away. Others like to buy shares in companies one at a time so they know exactly what they're holding.

- Dale Roberts writes about ETFs: http://bit.ly/1Ax4aR8
    - Regarded Solutions writes a series of articles which compares a portfolio of dividend ETFs to a portfolio of blue chip dividend growth stocks. His last update of the comparison is here: http://bit.ly/1kTK8MX
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDS, thanks for your suggestion. As I mentioned above to 3WallPaul, I used "10 shares" as a simple example. My portfolio's allocation is more based on capital allocated versus the number of shares.

Cheers,
    CDGI
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    go-4-it, excellent real life example! Thank you for sharing it. In terms of convincing your nephew...I think it'll be very difficult to convert him completely. You maybe able to persuade him to use a portion of his funds to buy dividend growth stocks, while he makes a killing on the "next" big stock.
    Aug 20, 2014. 02:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    zed337v, thank you for sharing your life example. I'm amazed you were able to stick to utilities all the way. I don't have any in my portfolio yet because I feel like they're growing so slowly...but I might just pick some up in the next huge market drop (20%+?) But hey, we all do what works for us, right? ;)

Congratulations on retiring and enjoy your financial independence!
    Aug 20, 2014. 01:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MoneyMadam, thanks for sharing your post. I like your goals of annual increasing income, and capital preservation.
    Aug 20, 2014. 01:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Veritas!
    Aug 20, 2014. 01:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dazman91, thanks for reading! I can't agree more to keep track of ones progress (whether it'd be capital gains or dividends received), and reviewing the results to make improvements in your "business plan".
    Aug 20, 2014. 01:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment