Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Before Buying A Dividend Growth Stock: Things To Do [View article]
    lol I wasn't even aware there was a morningstar.ca. I've been using the .com one all this time even if I'm Canadian.
    Sep 18 02:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Before Buying A Dividend Growth Stock: Things To Do [View article]
    Thanks whiff!
    Sep 18 02:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Before Buying A Dividend Growth Stock: Things To Do [View article]
    zgb,

I created the spreadsheet using Google spreadsheet. If you have a google account, you can click on "Drive" at the top. Then, click "Create" button on the left, and choose "Spreadsheet" from the dropdown.

I'm aware that others can only view the spreadsheet. That's why in this article, I provided the table of formulas to re-create a similar Google spreadsheet.

I believe all formulas used above must be programmed by Google to do what they do.

Canadian
    Sep 18 02:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Before Buying A Dividend Growth Stock: Things To Do [View article]
    jimmyalpha,

With YChart, I basically eyeball to see if the current yield is at the higher end of the range. I wrote an article that explains this in further details. It's titled "
    Dividend Yield As An Indicator Of A Bargain" (link: http://bit.ly/1aGPp1I)

With SeekingAlpha, I just check whether the current yield is higher than the 5-year average dividend yield. If it is, I have a higher tendency of buying the stock. But my first step is always checking the valuation and that the company has a general trend of growing earnings.

Hope this helps,
    Canadian
    Sep 17 02:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Importance Of Pricing And Valuation In Dividend Investing [View article]
    DGI, I also have my eyes set on TGT and MCD for my retirement account. Even after currency exchange from CDN to USD which makes those shares 7+% more expensive, I still think they're good long-term investments, as I just posted on my blog: http://bit.ly/1aauA1N

Canadian
    Sep 1 01:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rules, Part XLIX [View article]
    "Look forward." - Yes, each buy/sell decision should consider that, and also how the decision fits into the portfolio as a whole.
    Aug 24 05:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preparing For Retirement Early: Set A Margin Of Safety For Your Total Return [View article]
    User,

On FAST Graphs, CB has a less-volatile earnings graph compared to MKL. Also, Morningstar shows CB to be undervalued with 4-stars vs MKL at fair value.

I also add in the factor of a better yield if I'm planning to sell something and replace with something else.

Good luck with your choice!
    Canadian
    Aug 23 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Team Alpha Retirement Portfolio: Are Your Dividend Stock Buying Sneakers On? [View article]
    RS,

Thanks for the overview. A nice and easy read. I'm also looking to buy on dips.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Aug 22 02:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Journeyman, thanks, appreciate your comment. Yea, I didn't mention here, but I do reinvest my dividends whenever I can.

Canadian
    Aug 22 02:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

Thanks! I'm still developing my "plan". I guess I'm still learning about myself and from others. One thing for sure in this past year is that I've grown a lot. That's all thanks to experienced authors like yourself who are selfless in sharing what you know and the SA community that contributes in the comment stream and instablogs.

Thanks for reading and commenting,
    Canadian
    Aug 22 01:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Water Buffalo, I'm looking at V and O as well. HFC and OII are new names to me. I'll check them out.

Canadian
    Aug 22 01:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    mscootbone, I've been looking for an entry point for V for awhile. I have a feeling that at one point, I might just have to jump in at near fair valuation instead of waiting for exact fair valuation or better.

The DGR will determine how fast the YOC grows. So, I think watching either of those metrics is a similar approach. :) Actually, come to think of it, I do look at both.

Thanks for reading.
    Canadian
    Aug 22 01:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Telecommunications Services Sector Untethered And Poised To Grow [View article]
    Does anyone know how US REIT distributions are treated in a Canadian RRSP account?
    Aug 19 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chowder,

I wonder if that's the case for buying US REIT's in Canadian tax deferred (retirement) account. I've been trying to find that information and haven't found it yet.
    Aug 19 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment