Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Buy The Sector Dips Portfolio: The Energy Sector Continues Dipping [View article]
    BoomBoom, thanks for the info. Looks like I did the right thing by placing BIP.UN and BEP.UN in my TFSA :)
    Aug 19, 2015. 10:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, good luck with your songs marketing and performances.

It's been awhile that I took a vacation as well. It's nice to getaway from the usual routine once in awhile, and explore new terrain. :)
    Aug 19, 2015. 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom, I haven't ventured into MLPs yet. I did start a small position in BIP.UN yesterday though. I can't remember if it was you who brought my attention to BEP.UN and BIP.UN, but I hold them both in my TFSA now. I'm kind of testing the waters with them and will see if and how much tax will be withheld on their distributions.
    Aug 18, 2015. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? - Part 2 [View article]
    Mike, thanks for sharing your thought process regarding selling half of your KMI. I look forward to seeing what you replace it with.

Boy, that was a lot of comments to read through! But I'm sure my brain is processing the information for my own use.

Still have KMI on DRIP even though it's costing 30% more from converting Canadian dollar to USD. Looks like KMI could go lower from here though.
    Aug 18, 2015. 11:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, actually, now is a good time for Americans to come up for a vacation. The dollar is strong and it's the summer -- nice, warm weather :)
    Aug 17, 2015. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom, thanks very much for the list! I will check them out immediately.
    Aug 17, 2015. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brodidliy, the safest dividend is the one that was last raised. So, you can sleep well for now with COP. I think KMI & XOM's dividends are more solid than the others as well. We probably will have more downside before upside in the short-term, so brace yourself!
    Aug 17, 2015. 10:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Ken, if that's what you think is best for you, go for it. I can't comment on VLO because I don't own it nor have I done any research on it.
    Aug 17, 2015. 03:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

"Low fees don't guarantee superior returns." That's a good point. Which Canadian mutual funds would you recommend for further research?
    Aug 17, 2015. 03:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Banker, thanks for the link.
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Banker,

I believe you're right. No matter if Canadians are buying a US stock or US ETF such as XLE, we still need to use USD. So unless we already have the US account loaded up, we will have to pay 30% more.

Regarding the 15% withholding tax and related info, check out these articles:

1) Article about "Foreign Withholding Taxes on ETFs for Canadian Investors":

2) Article about "Foreign Withholding Taxes in International Equity ETFs": http://bit.ly/1WwnoSZ (whether withholding tax is recoverable or not in in taxable/RRSP/TFSA)

3) Article about "The True Cost of Foreign Withholding Taxes": http://bit.ly/1WwnoT3
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

>"the winters are less severe in the west"

>>"By "west" CDGI means BC, not the prairies...lol"

lol My bad, I guess I should say the most west, or might as well say BC. Yes, I reside in BC.
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, you don't need to apologize at all! I'm sure your comments are helpful to others not based in Canada.
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

"Yes there are many mutual funds available to Canadians that cover almost every spectrum but the fund companies must be based in Canada. Unfortunately MERs are very high, typically over 2%. Few outperform ETFs which come with much lower fees."

Thanks, that's good to know. So it's probably better for Canadians to gain exposure to a fund via an ETF than a mutual fund.
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MLasell, we don't know whether it's an anomaly or not. Only the future will tell. In the meantime, I'm diversifying into other holdings.
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment