Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    Greg, just sharing my opinion here, seeing as I'm in my late 20s. You said, "my view is that with the immediate income tax benefit to the RRSP v TFSA only benefiting the capital gain, their is more bang for the buck in RRSP contributions. When they max out the RRSP room, then we will start working on the TFSA carry forward room."

I don't entirely agree with that. Since your girls are at a young age, if they do have a low tax bracket right now, then in their retirement years, their tax bracket maybe higher than it is now. So, for the younger people who have learned the ropes of investing in their non-registered account (make "all" the mistakes there so can report for capital loss if need to), then, contribute TFSA to the full. Then, contribute "comfortably" to RRSP to defer taxes.

Then again, I'm speaking from a stock portfolio perspective (I currently only hold stocks and cash). ETFs are less volatile and easier to hold, so you might skip the learning the ropes in non-registered account step.

Canadian
    Sep 27 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    I second what Eddie said: "I tend to think that a younger person starting out investing is going to have even less money they can afford to lose which means to me they should take less risk." -- I have first hand experience lol...was playing something risky like the leveraged index thingies (the x3's). If you don't know what I'm talking about that's good. I'm not going to say what the symbol is...don't want to screw someone else over.
    Sep 27 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    My next article is all 4 oil companies, Suncor being one of them. If you want more detailed research on Suncor, check out Kenny Yang's articles. He writes about Canadian companies on here.

Well, D.UN is an office REIT while Rio is a retail one, so D.UN will help diversify if/when you decide to add it. Check out D.UN's July 2014 Investor Presentation (pdf: http://bit.ly/1rliScF) to learn more, esp. slides 11-13, 17, and 24.
    Sep 27 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Am A Dividend Growth Investor. I Want Dividends, Growth, And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Didn't know MAIN is a BDC. lol I first need to read up on what BDC is...keep hearing it being thrown around.
    Sep 27 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks BoomBoom. Happy to know it has no withholding taxes. I will probably look into both SDRL and ESV for further research as a speculative play.
    Sep 27 02:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    Faye, nice article. I added to SU under $41 recently. (More details on why I like Suncor in my next article if/when it gets published.) I also recently started positions in D.UN and DRG.UN in my TFSA. They are nice income plays. (I had to sell some of my current holdings for that.) Gahh, I think my trader side is getting to me. But at least I'm increasing my overall yield. DRG.UN is on DRIP.

MFC looks good on FAST. M* indicating it fairly valued.

HNL looks interesting. Will need to do more detailed research on that, but on initial glance, its payout ratio looks high.
    Sep 27 05:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom o_o! Such high interest rates! Times surely have changed.
    Sep 26 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    :O BoomBoom, that's very good to know, thanks! That means I can start learning about BDCs too. Fun fun :3
    Sep 26 11:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, GILD is looking good. CELG is a good diversification for Biotech from GILD. I took a little look at SDRL before. It's based in Bermuda...so I don't know what the withholding tax implications on its foreign dividends are for Canadians. Do you know?
    Sep 26 11:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks BoomBoom :)
    Sep 26 11:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    relospecialist, yea, I heard of the CD's 10% returns. It's hard for me to visualize. Currently, I like the 3% dividend + 7% earnings growth which would lead to 10% total return (ideally). I'm sure when the investing environment changes, the SA community with catch on and share the knowledge with each other.
    And good luck to all of us!
    Sep 25 10:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    smurf, yes, I got a smirk on me face :] and thank you
    Sep 25 10:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    lol Thanks BoomBoom. I didn't clarify, so they didn't know, so I don't feel offended at all.
    Sep 25 10:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

"U.S. BDCs have the same withholding tax as U.S. common stocks. MLPs have a 35% withholding tax in all accounts." -- do you mean just like US dividends, BDC dividends have a 15% withholding tax for Canadians?
    Sep 25 10:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom, I didn't know NOBL holdings are equal weight to begin with. That's good to know. Do you know how regularly it gets rebalanced? Is it every quarter or annually?
    Sep 25 10:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment