Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Makes A Full Position Or Half Position In A Dividend Growth Portfolio? [View article]
    Thanks BoomBoom.

Looks like your plan is working nicely, and I'm excited for you that you'll soon be tapping into your nest egg. :)
    Jul 28, 2015. 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Con, I wish it were like that here. Oh well, I can live with it. If anything, the higher fee should make me think twice about my purchases and sales.
    Jul 28, 2015. 01:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bill, thanks for the elaboration. It's good you let your winners run for MO and DUK. Yes, what you said makes sense. I like how you see T as a bond (in my opinion it's better than a bond because you own a piece of the company and receive a growing income stream.)

I have some pure income plays as well, but I think I took it to the extreme by buying some Canadian companies with 10% yields or higher. I was just going through my portfolio yesterday and seeing how much I have allocated to them. The scary thought is I should know this already.

Thank you for sharing.
    Jul 28, 2015. 01:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sleuth, your approach makes sense. You're essentially grouping your investments from safest to least safe and allocating a % of portfolio to each group accordingly. Thank you for sharing.
    Jul 28, 2015. 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Kinder Morgan Is Too Much For A Dividend Growth Investor? [View article]
    Mike, first, thank you for the link to my article. Second, if you're feeling uncomfortable with KMI generating a big portion of your dividends, you should just go with option 2 as you've stated. Then, you can sleep well again... if this continues to be on your mind for the next few days, it means you really need to cut down the shares. It's not worth it to have to worry about it.

For me, KMI just makes up 3% of my portfolio and generate less than 4% of my dividends. So, I have KMI's drip turned on. If the company is performing as it should, why would I not add more shares when it's undervalued?

PS. Love your writing style.
    Canadian
    Jul 28, 2015. 01:22 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Peace, thank you for sharing your story. I wasn't aware that you moved ashore. It must feel different living on land again. I suppose I'll just have to hold off on investing in US stocks unless something really really attractive comes up.

Looking at my energy companies, I wish I bought them after the oil price dropped. That includes my CVX shares. I think I can be patient and hold on though.

It's good you know what you're comfortable with and what not. I think you got a great list there with EMR, SO, DE, and GIS. Since you're not in a hurry, you can take your time to wait for a valuation or yield that you're happy with.

Canadian
    Jul 28, 2015. 01:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Investing, assume you start a $100,000 portfolio today. 10 companies, assuming equal weight to begin with implies $10,000 in each. Since your son has many years for it to compound, you can start with investing $10,000 in the 5 top dividend growth companies of your choice. Just from the top of my head: Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Pepsi (PEP), Procter & Gamble (PG), Microsoft (MSFT), and Southern (SO). Then, choose 5 higher growth companies (again from the top of my head) such as Starbucks (SBUX), Disney (DIS), Visa or Mastercard (V) or (MA), Gilead Sciences (GILD), and ITC Holdings (ITC).

You can consider other combinations as well, such as investing $10,000 in 5 companies from group 1, and $5,000 in 10 companies in group 2.

Thanks for adding to the conversation!
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The autocorrect gets me sometimes too. Other times it helps me. It's just trying to be helpful. Don't worry about it. ;)
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Cam, I used to go by how much a put in. Then, I switched to market value. Now, I agree with a hybrid.

I'm happy this was a thought-provoking article for you. I gotta thank Mr. Bob Wells for writing his article, so that Mr. Mike Nadel could comment, so that I could write this article!

After writing this article, I'm reviewing my portfolio again, and taking special notice of the high yielders with 8%+ yields on: how much I put into them, how much they're worth today, and how much dividends they're generating.
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mark,

"If a stock appreciates enough to exceed 5%, he starts trimming his position." That may work for people who are uncomfortable having any position getting too big, but that also requires cutting your winners, and then where would you put that money in? What if you put it into a loser?

I'm not saying not to follow Mr. O'Leary's approach, but if we do ever sell anything, we also need to think about where to put that money and whether the new buy is a better decision than not selling.
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:40 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Con, essentially I pay $10 to Scotiabank each time I buy or sell. I am aware of cheaper platforms in Canada, but I feel more secure building my portfolio with one of the Big 5 banks. Essentially, all the Big 5 banks charge the same transaction fee unless you're a trader that trades over 150 times in a quarter, then you get half off.
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tartar, indeed, each investor needs to decide what works for them in terms of holding allocations. It looks like you prioritize the dividend above the weight of the holding. Given that you maintain a portfolio of 30 positions, I assume you've chosen your best 30 ideas, so I suspect you should be fine in the way you're already handling it. I also look forward to what other SA folks have to say about this topic.
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Packer man, thanks for your kind comment. I'm especially proud of the Consolidating the Ideas section which I tried to add more to the conversation of "positions".

I'm not sure it's the right thing to do to shed off most of your REITs and utilities even if we anticipate interest rates rising... but my understanding is that you intend to buy them back when interest rates do rise and you see a pullback?

I do understand if you had utilities or REITs that were too overvalued for your comfort and you had to trim.
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mark, the good thing is, this math is at most high school math, so it's not hard to do, and you can use your spreadsheet program to automate some of the calculations, too!
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bill, it's interested you have some that are full positions and others that are double or several a full position. Does that indicate the full positions are actually half positions or quarter positions then?

lol Sorry, I know I'm adding confusion, but I fully understand why you have that in place. We can all think of positions the way we like it so that it makes sense in our heads. :p
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment