Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Spring Changes [View article]
    Hi Faye, I was just imitating your ENB example with my MSFT shares. I'm wondering what happens if instead of selling the shares in a taxable account, I transferred them to my registered account. For tax reporting purposes, does it count as a sale (at the price that you transferred the price in)?

Another question also is how would you apply the foreign exchange rate (USD to CDN) to determine the actual purchase/sale price? I heard that one could look up the exchange rate on the day of the transaction or use the average exchange rate for the entire year for simplicity. Where do you look up the exchange rate?

Thanks,
    Canadian
    May 2, 2014. 01:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson's Dividend Increase [View article]
    Better than someone who bought it ~$63 and then went in and out until finally selling out at ~$70 lol Yep, that was me. It was a hard lesson learned. (Not the worst lesson though. ;))

I think timing is still essential for total return results. Timing, as in buying shares of quality companies when they are undervalued. When JNJ was $67, it was undervalued. Now, it's arguably fair valued if you assign a premium P/E of ~18 to JNJ.
    Apr 29, 2014. 02:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    DVK, an informative article on defining stock "quality". Thank you for doing the research and the write up.

Cheerios,
    Canadian
    Apr 29, 2014. 02:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Thanks Mike! Love to hear about dividend increases. It's hard to keep track of all the increases (and it's not like I have hundreds of holdings!), so it's the highlight of my day to hear about the PG increase from you. :)
    Apr 11, 2014. 01:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Hey Timmies,

I agree! When I first started "investing", I didn't track my progress, and I thought losing a little didn't matter as long as I won a little elsewhere, but before I knew it, the little losses added up. Now, adopting dividend growth and value investing as my main strategy, and identifying core holdings, non-core holdings, and speculative holdings, I'm sure I'll trade less. I also track what I do now (the trades, and dividends received, and dividend growth of each holding). I think another good thing to track will be the amount of transaction fees I spend in a quarter.

My current tech stocks: MSFT, QCOM, IBM, CSCO. AAPL is one that I traded before. I'm looking to build an emergency fund right now, so I'm refraining from trading for awhile. Somehow, to build that emergency fund I think it might be best for me to create a separate savings account and put in a set amount every month...otherwise, I'll just find something to invest in lol...

I think I have enough speculative plays for now: just added PCLN and CELG recently. Now I feel like I should have waited longer because somehow the Canadian dollar is strengthening. I could have saved a few bucks on the forex.

I have a small position in BP, but that's it for my internationals. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Apr 11, 2014. 01:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Cool, good to know. Thanks J-L :)
    Apr 11, 2014. 01:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    kenkelly,

"Doesn't sound like a long term player"

I agree with you. Just a quick look at Just Energy on FAST graphs shows it has quite volatile earnings. Too volatile for my taste.
    Apr 9, 2014. 01:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Faye, I agree with you and would eventually add more to consumer staples.

Today is a good day to add to Visa as it's hitting the 200-day MA and oversold on the daily chart. Unfortunately, I'm low on cash right now.
    Apr 9, 2014. 01:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    J-L, thanks for the suggestion. GSK looks like a good retiree stock! I'll add it to my watch list.

Is there no withholding tax on the dividend because it's a UK stock?
    Apr 9, 2014. 01:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BuffaloBell, I like your buy and hold mentality.
    Apr 8, 2014. 02:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    aretailguy,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll need to do more research on them, but they look promising.

Canadian
    Apr 8, 2014. 02:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Investing Doc,

I wonder how it works tax-wise for the BAX split (when I actually sell the shares). Since BAX is in my registered account, the split may not affect me at all?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out SNY and RMD.

Glad you like my other picks. I might just add a bit more BIDU if it dips more.
    Apr 8, 2014. 02:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q1 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Eric,

lol I hope I continue slowing down. Maybe I need to accumulate more cash before buying.

I'll check out Just Energy, thanks.
    Canadian
    Apr 8, 2014. 02:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spring Changes [View article]
    Thank Faye. I also do the forex conversion before purchasing US stocks, keeping in mind that the historical norm is $1CDN to $0.86USD. We're getting close to that, though the $CDN became stronger again at the end of the past week. Most of my cash equivalents is in $CDN. Part of my non-registered account is in USD so when I receive dividends in there, they remain in USD. However, the dividend is so little that I can't buy a new position unless I add money in. It's hard to wait for opportune exchange rates to transfer money from CDN->USD into there. :p
    Apr 6, 2014. 08:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Prime Directive [View article]
    When I buy a stock now, I try to categorize whether it's a core position or not. Some are even marked as for trade only. Core positions are meant to be held for the long-term, but I was unclear about my rules in selling when overvaluation occur (in a core holding for example). For instance, how much overvaluation before a sell? But I never fully sell out of a core position unless I've decided that it's not a core anymore for 1 reason or another. Primarily, I'm a dividend growth investor, but there's still a trader in me, that's why most of my holdings are dividend growers, but I currently have a couple which don't pay a dividend...
    Apr 6, 2014. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment