Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Adding To The Core For My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Edge Water, I believe the tax implications of KMP is more complex than KMI. KMI is a C-Corp which so there's no withholding tax on the dividend for Canadians when we hold it in the RRSP. I can confirm that my KMI shares in my RRSP have no withholding tax on the dividend.

I suggest you talk to a tax professional (maybe the accountant who does your tax return) about this situation and see if something can be done. Before that, you can try googling "switch from holding KMP to KMI in RRSP" to read more information about holding KMP/KMI as a Canadian.

Hope this helps,
    Passive
    Jun 8, 2014. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    BoomBoom, no worries and thanks for the clarifications.
    Jun 7, 2014. 02:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    BoomBoom, thanks for sharing. :) The seasonal charts are interesting. It seems to suggest that it's not a bad idea to buy SLW in January and June (of course given that the price cooperates by coming down). What a coincidence that I decided to pick some up this month. Time will tell if I could have gotten in at a better price at end of June and whether it would really play out by moving upward until December.
    Jun 4, 2014. 02:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    apberusdisvet, thanks for sharing your opinion and a different point of view, adding diversity to this discussion.
    Jun 4, 2014. 01:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    maxjudge, all good observations and a real possibility. I only bought a small position in SLW, giving me room to dollar-cost average down later on if I wanted to.
    Jun 4, 2014. 01:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sinedo,

"If there is a major slowdown in the world economy, demand for the base metals mined will be less, causing production to slow, resulting in less silver also." - Good point. I could control my risk by maintaining only a small position in precious metal related stocks.
    Jun 4, 2014. 01:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maxjudge,

"I believe that the majority of silver streams received by SLW are as a byproduct by base metal miners." - Yes, this is correct.

"I believe that given widespread money printing, massive sovereign private and business indebtedness we are due for a major slowdown. A severe economic downturn the demand for base metals will depress prices, thereby forcing them to decrease their production dramatically, closing those mines that are not profitable at depressed prices." - I just know that money printing causes money to be worth less, which should theoretically cause some people to go to precious metals instead of cash. In reality, I think it's much more complicated than that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mines in the table in the article are already running, so SLW will get the byproduct silver. If those mines invest less in exploration, it just means there won't be as big an increase in the future silver stream. So revenue shouldn't be affected by that. Rather, currently, revenue is affected by the lowered precious metal prices.
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    Thanks for the info, sinedo. :)
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Timmies,

Nice job on picking up some Visa shares at that price.

I've traded SLW a couple times before. Given the chance, I'd buy some as a trade when it hits 400-day MA, which is what I did in this case. Yes, I agree it's not a typical pick for a DGI, but I will do fine as you mentioned that the downtrend will eventually end.

Silver is used for many things. Check this out: http://bit.ly/1kDK5xP
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    golfer, you're welcome.
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    Rusty, I believe pantherdoc meant he will buy more shares in a recession
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    pantherdoc, if you don't mind sharing, which are your other 6 "recession rockets" (nice name by the way)? Looks like you got a nice plan
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Silver Wheaton For Capital Gains [View article]
    Prof, I got that information from the Silver Wheaton website. I suppose most of the mines it has agreements with are in stable regions.
    Jun 3, 2014. 02:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Dave,

Those are good questions.

Q: What advantage do I get from owning 33 stocks over investing in say 15?
    A: Hopefully, I'm practicing diversification for the better and not practicing diworsification.

Q: What happens when the market turns negative to my portfolio?
    A: This one I really need to do some calculations...arg, math

Q: How confident am I in my ability to judge quality of companies?
    A: haha not super confident. That's why I'm unable to have a concentrated portfolio of 5 stocks. I wouldn't have a peace of mind if I did that. Also maybe why I'm dollar-cost averaging in small dollar amounts instead of buying bigger amounts each time. Confidence and experience will be accumulated in time.

Q: Finally, how will I react when the market goes down 10-15-25%?
    A: I really don't know, but it is an excellent mental exercise to visualize my portfolio value being reduced by 10-15-25-50%. Hopefully, that'll get me ready for the next big one.

"Answering those questions will get you closer to a strategy that fits your personality and needs." -- I believe I chose the right strategy by using the dividend growth strategy as my core strategy. In a downturn, I will still have positive return with the growing income stream. Now, I just need to remind myself to stick to quality and not to panic in a downturn.
    May 10, 2014. 02:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Jon, I place a higher precedence on looking at companies individually than looking at the market (and pondering when there maybe a dip or crash). Sure I'd like to buy stocks on sale, but the thing is, like many other "youngsters", I can work more on my patience. I have tried building a cash position, and only to eventually still jump in to buy something.

I was also confused between a cash position (for a portfolio), and the emergency fund. I mixed the 2, while they are 2 different things. As such, what I really need to do is build an emergency fund and maybe a small position.

If you don't mind sharing, which quality names do you have in mind which are priced less than 10x earnings?
    May 10, 2014. 01:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment