Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    elvis, thanks for your perspective. I see ENB as having to invest in building the pipes first, and then getting the cash flowing in from the transportation of oil/gas.
    Jan 28, 2014. 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    RCI could benefit from the NHL deal, but it also has the highest debt/cap out of the 3.
    Jan 28, 2014. 11:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    Timmies, I'm thinking of partnering up ENB with KMI. As usual, thanks for your suggestions. I'm always on the look out for opportunities. In fact, there are always too many to choose from, it's hard to choose the "right " one.
    Jan 28, 2014. 11:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    cymbalta, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 28, 2014. 11:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Switch Rogers Communications For 2 Other Core Holdings [View article]
    Thanks dunnhaupt. CNR is on my watch list.
    Jan 28, 2014. 11:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Snowball Down A Hill: My Dividend Growth Portfolio 2013-2014 Report [View article]
    Dave,

I enjoyed reading this clear and concise article. I especially like your table of dividends received with the goal bolded at the bottom, and the line graph comparing actual dividends received and the goal's path, indicating you're 1.5 years ahead of schedule!

Thank you for sharing a real life example. It's working beautifully!
    Canadian
    Jan 24, 2014. 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    juano,

Sorry, your comment is not meant for me, but here is what I've read. We have a similar tax-deferred account here in Canada, and we also have the equivalent of the Minimum Required Distributions for when one reaches 70.5 years old. I've read about that you could transfer shares out of the account and into a taxable account. So, you don't have to sell the shares. But of course, when you transfer the shares out, you have to pay the tax. Dividend income from those shares in the taxable account also requires paying tax on. I suspect in the US, you can do something similar.

Hope this helps,
    Canadian
    Jan 24, 2014. 07:08 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

"I was (and remain) enamored of the idea that through dividend growth, I can generate in dividends ALONE the historical total return of the market (~10%) only 10 years after starting."

The catch is an investor needs to be able to stick with it during those 10 years to reach that goal. And in that decade, something like the 2008 or in a smaller scale, 2011 happens, and a diy dividend growth investor needs to tweak their mentality to say that the (temporary) damage is done to the portfolio value, and that the income continues to grow, slowly, but surely.

I think there's that "I'm afraid to miss the boat" mentality when the market drops, and one already has funds invested. It's being afraid to miss the gains or an opportunity that could have an effect on an investor's decisions. Maybe it helps in that case to have a portion of the portfolio in cash to be deployed in stages when opportunities arise. The percentage of cash can be adaptable.

Canadian
    Jan 24, 2014. 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Identifying The Core Holdings In My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BB,

Thanks! On first glance, looks like something I'd enjoy reading. I will have a closer look later.

Cheers,
    CDGI
    Jan 18, 2014. 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    yachtsman,

Indeed, this is just a quick look at things. I also look at the FAST graphs for a visual view of how well (or not so well) the earnings grew in the companies 15-year history for example, which covers 2 recessions, and can be telling.

The problem is, not all investors know how to do financial analysis as you say it, but certainly, one can't go wrong by visiting the individual company's websites to perform research. Going to the "Investor Relations" section is a start.
    Jan 18, 2014. 02:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    yachtsman, valid points. Thanks for adding to the conversation.
    Please see my response to cymbalta for 4.
    Jan 18, 2014. 02:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    golden rule, sorry, I quickly googled but couldn't come up with a definite answer. I just know there's a tax treaty between the US and Canada. Why wouldn't you buy Canada dividend stocks in tax-advantaged accounts instead?

Hope a fellow US citizen could answer your question in a more helpful manner!
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    cymbalta, the exceptions I listed simply mean they don't fit into the criteria above. Doesn't mean I won't consider adding to them. :) I listed them to indicate that I will add to those based on different criteria. (For example, I notice the Canadian stocks I follow, most don't have a lot of analyst ratings on FAST graph. But I believe they are good companies.)

Thanks for adding to the conversation!
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    Timmies, depends when you bought Microsoft. If you bought it $27 last year, you'd be up 30+% by now. One of my buys was $26 something, but I took some gains in between and bought back on a drop. A big drop of sweat really, cuz if you don't that, you have to decide on an entry point and you might not get it. Anyway, I'm holding Softie for the long-term now hopefully, since I identified it as a core holding.
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    Thanks for reading, Pkan. Target looks like it'd drop lower based on daily technical chart.
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment