Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Snowball Down A Hill: My Dividend Growth Portfolio 2013-2014 Report [View article]
    Dave,

"I was (and remain) enamored of the idea that through dividend growth, I can generate in dividends ALONE the historical total return of the market (~10%) only 10 years after starting."

The catch is an investor needs to be able to stick with it during those 10 years to reach that goal. And in that decade, something like the 2008 or in a smaller scale, 2011 happens, and a diy dividend growth investor needs to tweak their mentality to say that the (temporary) damage is done to the portfolio value, and that the income continues to grow, slowly, but surely.

I think there's that "I'm afraid to miss the boat" mentality when the market drops, and one already has funds invested. It's being afraid to miss the gains or an opportunity that could have an effect on an investor's decisions. Maybe it helps in that case to have a portion of the portfolio in cash to be deployed in stages when opportunities arise. The percentage of cash can be adaptable.

Canadian
    Jan 24, 2014. 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Identifying The Core Holdings In My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BB,

Thanks! On first glance, looks like something I'd enjoy reading. I will have a closer look later.

Cheers,
    CDGI
    Jan 18, 2014. 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    yachtsman,

Indeed, this is just a quick look at things. I also look at the FAST graphs for a visual view of how well (or not so well) the earnings grew in the companies 15-year history for example, which covers 2 recessions, and can be telling.

The problem is, not all investors know how to do financial analysis as you say it, but certainly, one can't go wrong by visiting the individual company's websites to perform research. Going to the "Investor Relations" section is a start.
    Jan 18, 2014. 02:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    yachtsman, valid points. Thanks for adding to the conversation.
    Please see my response to cymbalta for 4.
    Jan 18, 2014. 02:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    golden rule, sorry, I quickly googled but couldn't come up with a definite answer. I just know there's a tax treaty between the US and Canada. Why wouldn't you buy Canada dividend stocks in tax-advantaged accounts instead?

Hope a fellow US citizen could answer your question in a more helpful manner!
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    cymbalta, the exceptions I listed simply mean they don't fit into the criteria above. Doesn't mean I won't consider adding to them. :) I listed them to indicate that I will add to those based on different criteria. (For example, I notice the Canadian stocks I follow, most don't have a lot of analyst ratings on FAST graph. But I believe they are good companies.)

Thanks for adding to the conversation!
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    Timmies, depends when you bought Microsoft. If you bought it $27 last year, you'd be up 30+% by now. One of my buys was $26 something, but I took some gains in between and bought back on a drop. A big drop of sweat really, cuz if you don't that, you have to decide on an entry point and you might not get it. Anyway, I'm holding Softie for the long-term now hopefully, since I identified it as a core holding.
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Core Holdings With High Total Return Estimations [View article]
    Thanks for reading, Pkan. Target looks like it'd drop lower based on daily technical chart.
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Inz,

As long as beginners have gained some experience and feel comfortable, they can certainly benefit from utilizing the TFSA. For me, I'm comfortable with buying only large companies at proper valuations in there which have good future prospects. All of them pay a dividend.
    Jan 12, 2014. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for sharing, Kevin. Good reminders.
    Jan 10, 2014. 03:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio New Year's Resolutions [View instapost]
    Writing it down and you already win half of the battle!

For me, I need to work on trading less as well. $290 last quarter. Yikes! (But then I like to think that the commission cost is taken in by the transaction. I look at each transaction individually, so that if it's a capital gain, the $10 transaction fee is part of the cost for taking that gain.) Cuz capital gains taken can equal years of dividends.

I also need to do more 6, 7 & 8.
    Jan 9, 2014. 02:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Portfolio Part 3: Due Diligence [View article]
    But buying before ex-dividend date means you're paying tax on the dividend (if bought not in tax-sheltered/deferred account). The day when dividend is paid, usually price of stock drops. Maybe slightly better entry point then?
    Jan 9, 2014. 02:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Portfolio Part 2: Choosing A Stock [View article]
    "Companies that are considered the best in their businesses are often also good dividend growers. They are not high growth companies, but steady, mature companies with lower beta and consistent earnings." -- This is also what I'm comfortable with for making up most of my portfolio as well.

I also like your idea for pairing up the best of breed companies.
    Jan 9, 2014. 02:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, thanks for sharing your perspectives! I do plan to maximize my TFSA every year. As I mentioned before, I made some mistakes early on in my TFSA, and took some loss in there. I'm making that up, but slowly taking my time (as I can't rush it). I need to play *ahem*, I mean, invest according to my comfort level and risk tolerance.

After finding out about the dividend tax credit, I now buy Canadian dividend growth stocks in my non-registered/taxable account, but place ones meant for capital gains in the TFSA. But those usually pay a growing dividend as well.

From now on, I intend to put "high" yield US stocks in the RRSP. The others in taxable account.

"If you own a company, the first $750,000 in capital appreciation is also tax free." Would this capital appreciation be the sale of one's company? (I don't own a company, but just curious.)
    Jan 9, 2014. 02:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BB,

I have come across that before. Surely something to consider. Thanks for the link. :)
    Jan 9, 2014. 01:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment