Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • For Canadian Agricultural Chemicals Dividend Growth: Potash Or Agrium? [View article]
    Thanks, Matthew. I understand it doesn't have a long enough dividend growth history (at least 5 years) for most DG investors. I would definitely think of adding to the core stocks first before adding to this one.
    Apr 25 02:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Faye,

As you said AGU has been doing better than POT, partly due to its retail side. Another reason being "lower prices for natural gas have encouraged greater use of nitrogen-based fertilizers, with Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. (NYSE:TNH) and a host of other nitrogen-fertilizer producers benefiting at the expense of PotashCorp and other potash producers." from http://bit.ly/10exBme

"A quick look at the FAST Graphs for these companies show who's the clear winner. POT's earnings have dropped, while AGU's have stayed steady. AGU looks clearly significantly undervalued, while POT is inline."

In FAST Graphs, are you entering the tickers with or with out the "." at the end? I notice the graphs are slightly different for the one on TSX (with .) and on NYSE (without .)

I did come across your article the other day, but I haven't been following the oil and gas or gold much.

Canadian
    Apr 25 02:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    2AUSUM, thanks for your reply.

"there is a lot of dirt in in the wrong places" - lol I love that
    Apr 25 02:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    2AUSUM, (that's a too awesome name btw) ;)

Thanks for your positive comment. I don't know that I'll buy and hold as its earnings are cyclical in nature, but I do know that it's a great company and a leader in its industry. What I'll try to do is buy low and sell high, and I believe I did the first part right.

How long-term are you planning to hold CAT?
    Apr 23 10:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Lou Gray, I got the beta from Google Finance.
    Apr 23 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Bob, thanks for sharing your experience. Your strategy is a more prudent one. I learned a lesson or 2 myself. I wrote an article about buying a mining company without limiting the downside. And I'm still hanging on... The article if anyone's interested: http://bit.ly/10aq2gg
    Apr 23 02:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Thanks Papa San, appreciate your comment.
    Apr 23 02:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Back in the 90's in 3 months? I think that's possible.
    Apr 23 01:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Can't time the buyback better than this. They are buying back now because the shares are cheap.
    Apr 23 01:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Thanks Dustin. I'm dollar-cost averaging into this one as well :)
    Apr 23 01:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    redarrow, Caterpillar isn't going away. The 2012 was a buy and now is a buy. The dividend is a bonus. My goal is the capital gain.
    Apr 23 01:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Caterpillar On 25% Pullback [View article]
    Ray, thanks for the update.
    Apr 23 01:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • During Accumulation Phase, It's OK To Be Concentrated [View article]
    Cheesecake, that's right. $100 is enough to start many DRIP programs. Tim McAleenan Jr. wrote an article regarding DRIP investing a few months ago: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 23 01:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • During Accumulation Phase, It's OK To Be Concentrated [View article]
    Chowder, I need to add more consumer staples to my core, but it's a bit overvalued right now. I'll be on the look out for any pullback though.
    Apr 23 01:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • During Accumulation Phase, It's OK To Be Concentrated [View article]
    allday,

Instead of having a limt of 2000 shares per position, it would instead make more sense to have a certain amount (cost-wise) or certain percentage for each position. For example, if you had a position that was purchased at $10 per share and another that's $20 per share, then 2000 shares in each would mean one costs a total of $10,000 and the other costs $20,000. If you only had those 2 positions in your portfolio, one would be 1/3 of your portfolio and the other would be 2/3! Instead, aim for not over allocating a certain position. So you might have a rule saying that no position shall be over 5% of the portfolio, whether it'd be in terms of cost or the current allocation (after paper gain).

Canadian