Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Rose, I had my chance with JNJ before. I look forward to picking it up again in the future again and hoping to hold forever.

Now probably the time to buy high quality energy stocks and biotechs. Especially for Canadians, we got lots of energy stocks to choose from on the TSX without having to pay the high conversion fee to convert to USD.

Some Canadian energy stocks for starters: ENB, VET, SU, CNQ, CPG, WCP, TRP, etc.

Biotechs I like: AMGN, GILD, and like you, I'd consider CELG too. But of course right now, I'm saving up for the car. I missed my chance with ABBV. But again, the strong USD is painful to convert to.

Thanks, I will let you guys know when I do get the car ~
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

Ah, one thing I missed is the tax incurred on selling those shares! They're all in my taxable account. Whoopsies. At least I didn't sell more than I have to. <-- self-comforting :p
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

"I have a crack that runs right across the entire width of the windshield on one of our vehicles." Oh wow, my dad told me he has seen cars with a worse crack, but I suppose I was feeling uneasy due to it getting bigger, and I haven't seen the worse cracks myself so I couldn't compare. But from your experience, looks like I could have kept the car until it ran out of steam.

Well, the "$500" amount came from the new owner of the car. lol So, I didn't look more into it. But I deducted $200 from the original sale price for the cracked windshield. I mean, from what you said, she can continue driving it without having to fix the windshield.
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Dave, didn't know you're a talented mechanic as well. You're amazing with the abilities to repair cars and even restore them!

The now owner of my ex-car wanted a look under the hood (front of car) before she bought it. It took me awhile to even open that lol. (There was a manual thingy in the front.)
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Rose, thanks. Generally, I avoid hassle, but I will consider that.
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    We'll know if we made the right choice down the road. However, I thought I should point out for others who might not notice: although BAX, ABBV, AMGN, and GILD are all in the healthcare sector, they're in different industries, and therefore shouldn't behave the same, and should be bought as investments for different purposes in a portfolio.

BAX - Healthcare Equipment (slower growth, but more stable?)
    ABBV - Pharmaceuticals (stable and higher growth?)
    AMGN - Biotechnology (slightly overvalued? Analysts estimate 9.6% earnings growth)
    GILD - Biotechnology (undervalued? estimate 10% earnings growth)

I will go to a car dealership for a pre-owned car. I know it costs more but I don't need to worry about dealing with a stranger from craigslist...which is what some of my friends did. Too much hassle and anxiety for me lol
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Keith,

"Helps when faced with similar situations to see others' views (including the commenters)." - Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Partly why I wrote this article. :)

Canadian
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Choosing Which Stocks To Sell For A Big Purchase [View article]
    Dave, when I did look into financing, the lowest interest rate was 2.99% I believe. I just checked with another car loan finance calculator with a car dealership and the default A.P.R. (annual percentage rate?) is 6.9% given a price of $20,000, $4000 down payment and 60 month term. I'm in Canada though...so might explain the higher interest rate.

Leasing is 0.99% though lol

Too bad my family doesn't have some relationship with a car dealership. Otherwise, I probably would be able to get better terms.
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

I have this thing about debt. I don't like owing money to anyone. Maybe it's ingrained in my head from when I was growing up...always pay off your credit card...don't owe money because you have to pay interest.

Even though interest rate is low, it doesn't change the fact that you pay more when interest comes into play. However, it's about comparing what happens if I financed the car or not.

If I didn't finance the car like what I've been thinking, then I had to sell some stocks because I'm short on cash. I lose the business compounding earnings and dividend growth compounding.

If I financed the car, I could pay of the car using the salary from my job and I don't have to sell any stocks. But in the meantime, I won't be able to buy any stocks. For this scenario, the bigger lump sum I pay off in the beginning the less interest I have to pay later.

I suppose I was taught not to borrow money whenever I can. I suppose when it comes to buying a home, that's a different story. It's impossible for the average family to be able to pay off a home without getting a mortgage.

Canadian
    Jun 22, 2015. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

Thanks for your insight.

Oh, I didn't mention that the windshield was chipped at one place and chipped&cracking on another. I didn't buy the insurance for that, so it might have costed C$500 to higher to get it replaced.

The crack was getting bigger and bigger, and it was a concern for me. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have sold now.

"If you indeed are selling dividend growth stocks now to purchase a vehicle I see it as trading exponential growth for a non-essential item of depreciating value." -- lol Yes, I did. But now I wish I didn't trim Microsoft and Starbucks.

"As for new or used vehicles, new ones depreciate at a greater rate than used and used ones can be inspected for reliability before purchase. I would have kept the car, unless it became a money pit, while putting money aside for a future purchase." -- I am indeed considering a used one before a new one.
    Jun 22, 2015. 12:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin,

Thank you for sharing your experience in this selling matter. I think it's really a psychological hurdle to sell positions with gains and keep ones that have less gains.

I just sold out of MCD even though it was slightly below break-even.

My QCOM position is about break-even. So I was unwilling to part with it vs. MSFT which had 50% gain. MSFT has the highest S&P credit rating, too! Yea, I can't deny my sentimental side taking over a bit there.

I didn't sell out of my position. I should have used "trim" instead of "selling some shares". I want to clarify that I still hold some shares of SBUX and MSFT.

In FAST graphs, QCOM shows EPS should recover a bit by fiscal year end of 2016. What are your reasons of selling QCOM?
    Jun 22, 2015. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sleuth,

lol I like your car icon there :p

I haven't bought the new car yet. Still doing some more research and accumulating more cash (i.e. what else to sell). I'm leaning towards a Honda Civic though. It will also depend on what pre-owned cars are available at the car dealership near me when I pay a visit at the end of the month.
    Jun 22, 2015. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    123,

"no one has any useful insight about when a stock is overvalued and 'should be sold.'"

Well, that's why I like using FAST Graphs. It gives a visualization on how a company did in the past that could be indicative of its future performance. Further, it shows analyst estimates that gives some clue about the future even though they're not spot on.

"Buy, hold and auto-reinvest dividends as much as possible is the way to go."

Seems like a simple and logical way to invest for the long-term. :)

Selling stocks to buy a new home? Wow, that's an even bigger purchase. At least homes have a higher chance of appreciation. Unfortunately for cars, it will only depreciate.
    Jun 22, 2015. 11:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confessions Of A Young DGI [View article]
    Trikee,

Seeking Alpha has many authors. With their different views, you can get a bigger picture on the company. You should never buy or sell based on opinions from one article.
    Jun 21, 2015. 02:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Confessions Of A Young DGI [View article]
    Math Guy, your strategy is a common sense approach for a young investor. I have been rethinking about my position, too, and I think it would work in my favour if I allocate more towards companies with lower yield (no no yield) but has anticipated higher growth and higher total return.

Typically though, I've kept it in balance by having mostly moderate growth&yield companies, while sprinkling some high yield slow growth and low yield high growth companies.
    Jun 21, 2015. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment