Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Makes A Full Position Or Half Position In A Dividend Growth Portfolio? [View article]
    Thanks Robyn. My thoughts became clearer about the topic as I was writing this article, so I thought it would be useful to others.
    Jul 28, 2015. 12:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling Trash, Buying Trash [View article]
    Tim, interesting article. If you could kindly share, wow much of your portfolio (percentage-wise) do you place in an investment in "trash"?
    Jul 27, 2015. 01:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    You're welcome, Peace. Overgrown WFC position? That's a nice first world problem to have. How do you juggle the forex rate issue between British pound and USD? I know I have a hard time wrapping around it after CAD was at par with USD and fast forward to now where I need to pay 30% to convert CAD to USD.
    Jul 27, 2015. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Motors Is Attractively Valued [View article]
    Gayle, thanks for chiming in. It's probably dangerous to be too positive in anything, and your comments adds balance to the conversation.
    Jul 27, 2015. 11:49 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Peace, you're right. Holdings/industries take turns leading the one. Sometimes, they take a set back or need a rest, but if stuck with quality and bought value, they'll perform again eventually.

Since you are a dual citizen, do you pay your bills in USD or CAD? Do you hold anything on the TSX or only the US exchanges?

If you're thinking of a new position to buy, the industrials (e.g. EMR, GWW, FAST), utilities, biotech (e.g. GILD, AMGN, CELG), REITs, and technology (e.g. AAPL, IBM, QCOM, MSFT) on the US side maybe a good place to start looking. KMI also looks like a good buy at these levels.

If you're looking for a position on the TSX, there are also many possibilities I can suggest for initial research.

Canadian
    Jul 27, 2015. 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Second Quarter 2015 Portfolio Review - Building Quality, Income And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Mike45, isn't tax reporting based on the average cost basis and not by older or newer lots? The former is how it's done here in Canada.
    Jul 26, 2015. 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Peace, thanks for your take. When UP was at $120 there were positive chatters, and now after the dip, there are some negative chatter. But it is dipping for a reason, the coal demand is a concern, and arguably, it was overvalued at $120.
    Canadian
    Jul 26, 2015. 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Matt, The forex hit is a concern for Canadian investors, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do to stop buying US stocks altogether. If a US DG company becomes very attractively valued, it might still make sense to buy.

For example, a friend of mine, a Canadian bought JNJ around $99 when the forex was a 20% hit and I thought the forex rate was high back then...but it went higher.

I agree that next time CAD$ goes near parity, it's a no brainer to buy US investments.
    Jul 26, 2015. 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Paul, thank you for the chance to clarify. I start by looking at a FAST graph at the 15 years, then, 10, then 7, then 5, but for example, the 5-year one would include the EPS estimates for 2015 and 2016. I use those forward earnings as projections or I use projections if given by a company.
    Jul 24, 2015. 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Timmies, with where the oil price is going, in the short-term, I agree that the CAD$ is likely to fall some more. The question is whether to convert CAD to USD to invest or continue to invest in Canadian stocks. I think it makes sense to buy US stocks if it diversifies from a Canadian portfolio which mostly consist of Canadian banks, Energy companies, utilities, and maybe REITs. It's scary to be in miners right now...
    Jul 24, 2015. 05:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Matt, that's a valid observation. It is a pain in the *** to convert CDN to USD at current forex rates. So that's one reason I've been holding off adding more to UNP and instead started positions in CN and CP. In fact, the currency is more like 30% hit now. lol

It is a similar dilemma with ENB and KMI. They both look like buy possibilities at current levels, but which one should a Canadian buy? KMI has a much higher yield than ENB, but the forex is a pain.

It's hard to choose because there's the added uncertainty of which direction the forex rate will go from here. If one believes the oil price will rebound (even to just US$70), then wouldn't the Canadian dollar strengthen against the USD?
    Jul 24, 2015. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Patience, Cash And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Mike, I'm trying to be more disciplined to wait for that lower range, as I find I keep running out of cash even when my plan was to build a cash position.

I tried to add more B&H's philosophy into my process, but I keep failing. I've been thinking lately if I should just stick to the person/investor that I am.
    Jul 24, 2015. 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Patience, Cash And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Mike, I need more patience and cash all the time. I like how you set your buy price/yields points. I do that too, but in a range...but I could be a little lenient on that upper range. :p
    Jul 24, 2015. 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Gabby, bingo! I just checked Morningstar again and with the revision, it updated fair value estimate to $114.
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Union Pacific A Buy After The Q2 Earnings Release? [View article]
    Ray, thank you for your kind comment and insight.
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment