Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Buy The Sector Dips Portfolio: The Energy Sector Continues Dipping [View article]
    Alex,

"I must not be hardwired like other people, because whenever I see a stock that has gone down a lot, I immediately want to buy some." - Me too, but what's your definition of a lot? I seek a different margin of safety for different companies, the higher the quality, the less margin of safety I require it to have before buying. The type of business also matters (e.g. utilities vs. cyclicals)
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boo,

"We are basically hard wired to sell high and buy low, despite knowing better."

Do you mean sell low and buy high instead?
    Aug 16, 2015. 01:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerson: Where's The Bottom? [View article]
    Personally, with costing another 30% to convert from Canadian dollar to USD, I'm willing to wait a bit more. A part of me want to wait till after the spinoff so that I can hold on to the higher margin businesses.
    Aug 15, 2015. 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerson: Where's The Bottom? [View article]
    Hi, I wrote an article on EMR right after its spinoff announcement. In the comments, Dividend Sleuth kindly mentions about what he finds out about the EMR dividend after the spinoff.

The article:
    Aug 15, 2015. 10:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    268, if XLE only makes a small % of your portfolio, you can always average down. That way, it'll go from red to green sooner. However, I think there's still more downside as the oil price stays at these slows.

I never go all in in anything, even my core holdings, cuz I know I can be wrong sometimes or the market can be irrational at other times.

Dollar-cost averaging is your friend. Don't sweat on the paper loss in the short-term too much. We're investing for the long-term, right? I know I am.
    Aug 15, 2015. 10:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boo,

"Last year people would have killed to get in at these prices. Now we are here, we back off." - I totally see what you mean. But a year ago, we didn't see what we're seeing now.

"Theory says I should keep averaging down, but in practice I'm worried. This is exactly the problem with investing." - Maybe some fear that's innate to human nature coming in. ...either that or we think it would go down some more, so we aren't buying at these levels

You're reminding me of Poke Poker Face song from Lady Gaga :p I never played poker in my life, but I think I can put up a good poker face.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alex, that's an interesting strategy. Looks like you're spreading your risks among the best players you find from your research, and it's working for you. I'm not sure I can stomach that though.

Good luck to you!
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, the winters are less severe in the west. It must have been fun being a full time musician. I enjoy playing the piano myself.

Thank you for your good wishes.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, it seems I can buy certain funds from Fidelity for example, but the names aren't very descriptive until I click into it.

There are foreign funds such as global equity or US equity available too.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom, no wonder! That's too bad. I would have gone with the ETF if I had that choice.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    City Trader, those are interesting choices and one would need to seize the moment to buy at the right time and sell at the right time. Unfortunately, I don't understand the industry enough to do that, but it may very well be beneficial to other readers. Thanks for sharing.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    City Trader, you lost me in your options explanation. I'm sure both you and Timmies have more knowledge about options than I do. Anyhow, I'm sure someone who has more knowledge about the topic can benefit from the comment.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, thank you for your detailed comment. It adds colour to the conversation especially because you are in the pharma research field.

I do only hold stocks right now, but I'm not against investing in ETFs. Actually, I would like to pick up a small cap ETF next time the market tanks a lot, except I don't have a clue on how to research about ETFs or whether to choose one that's focused on value or growth.

My broker is Scotiabank. I suspect they have less offerings from the U.S. and that's why I can't find FBIOX on there.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Boo, I'm just holding off for now because the sector looks gloomier than I initially thought. I might add to my pipelines at today's levels though.

Your friends must be a great mathematician or has very good memory. For example, if he plays the Blackjack, he can remember what cards have been handed out already.
    Aug 15, 2015. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) A Fad? [View article]
    RAS, lively comment stream.

I just wanted to say, I like your short and sweet conclusion.

Of course, dividend growth investing is a fad. Whoever is reading this comment should stop buying DG companies so that I can buy more for less. :]
    Aug 15, 2015. 03:59 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment