Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Oil Companies Sensitive To The Oil Price Decline And Those That Are Not [View article]
    Currently, I'm holding one US REIT, Ventas (VTR) in my RRSP, and there's no withholding tax on the distribution. I was told that Realty Income (O) also has no withholding tax on its distributions in the RRSP.
    Oct 24, 2014. 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    KMI is a C-corp, and its eventual consolidated company will remain a C-corp. So if you hold KMI in your RRSP, there's no withholding tax on the dividend.
    Oct 24, 2014. 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ricardo, yes, generally, US stocks' dividends are dinged 15% foreign withholding tax in the TFSA. However, as you mention, there are some companies listed on the US exchange which are based in other countries. I've gathered commentary from investors and reached this list (Foreign Dividends with No Withholding Tax) that I posted on my blog:

I haven't held Royal Dutch Shell before, but have been told that there's no withholding tax on the dividends of RDS.B, but the tax exists for holding RDS.A. Could it be that you held RDS.A before?
    Oct 24, 2014. 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Matthew. Fair comment.

Here's a WCS fact sheet on Cenovus' website: http://bit.ly/13prgHg
    Oct 23, 2014. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    and there's RDS.B
    Oct 23, 2014. 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Update: The numbers have been corrected for the purpose of this article.
    Oct 22, 2014. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Note: Some numbers in the article are wrong. I'm sending in a request to get them fixed.
    Oct 22, 2014. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Lower oil prices also help a lot of other industries." - Positive thinking right there! I suppose sometimes what seems like a bad thing could be a good thing, just change the perspective. ;)
    Oct 22, 2014. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing The Core Holdings In My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio: Q3 2014 Update [View article]
    Hardog, thanks. I hope you're right. I also believe the oil price will eventually turn again, just don't know when.
    Oct 21, 2014. 02:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bazz White,

If a Canadian has room in the TFSA, they should populate that first before buying CDN dividend stocks in the non-registered account. I only have US dividend stocks in the RRSP.

Not being able to collect full OAS is a nice situation to be on, don't you think? ;)

Student debt is horrible. While you're studying for your degree though, it's grace period so there's no interest charged. Some bachelor programs also have the Co-op program where starting in the 3rd year (or maybe even 2nd), you studying one term and work full time the next to gain industry experience. That helps a student to earn money to pay down the student loan later on. If a student has learned how to invest properly (for beginners, maybe start with value + dividend growth investing), that'll make the situation even brighter.

CVX' dividend looks really juicy close to the 4% yield. But to convert from CDN to USD, it's going to cost me 15% more...because my bank charges extra 2% for the conversion. This deters me from adding to US stocks. However, if the oil price continues to drop (which looks likely), the Canadian Dollar is going to drop more.

You picked up the banks at a great time! Good job.
    Oct 15, 2014. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    J-L, and thanking for suggesting some Industrials companies. Certainly a sector worth a look right now.
    Oct 15, 2014. 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dividend Watcher, as I said earlier, it's a little scary holding a portfolio heavily weighted in Energy companies right now. Another fact deterring me from investing in US companies right now is the foreign exchange rate. The Canadian Dollar has been dropping so much such that I need to pay an extra 14% to buy any US holdings.

I look under Google Finance and V is under the Industrials sector. I know what the company does though (who doesn't ;)) so I wouldn't argue against others putting them under Financials.

Thanks for reading.
    Oct 15, 2014. 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    stockdunn, some investors feel more comfortable holding ETFs or mutual funds rather than individual stocks. I say, stick to whatever works for you and allow you to sleep well at night.
    Oct 15, 2014. 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CCM, thank you for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind.
    Oct 15, 2014. 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, thanks for your suggestions. All oil-related stocks I'm following have been dropping like a rock, mostly due to the drop in oil price. It's a little scary holding a portfolio that's heavy in the Energy sector. I'm just closing my eyes now and ignoring the prices. lol
    Oct 15, 2014. 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment