Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • I Am A Dividend Growth Investor. I Want Dividends, Growth, And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Minnee, and thank you. I hope this article will inspire your son to consider the DGI + VI path.
    Sep 25 02:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Faye. I'm sticking to DGI or buying stocks in general over real estate investing because I can start with a small amount of money without borrowing. I like writing because it helps me think through DGI more clearly. The discussions which come after can be insightful as well! Good to see another Canadian writing articles again!
    Sep 25 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brendan, if I buy US dividend stocks in the taxable / non-registered account, there's a 15% withholding tax on US dividends (could be more for REITs), but I can file for foreign tax credit. However, I still have to pay marginal tax rate on the foreign dividends...which for the average person is over that 15%.

If I buy in RRSP, there's no withholding tax on the dividends. (maybe different for REITs)

If I buy in the TFSA, there's a 15% withholding tax on US dividends. So, some Canadians would buy US dividend stocks in the RRSP first, then the TFSA, and finally in the taxable account.

The tax situation is probably more complicated for MLPs and BDCs. I'm not even going to try.
    Sep 25 02:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jprada, Inzkeeper gave you a very thorough answer below. For me, I use Scotiabank as my broker. Just recently, they added the functionality for users to be able to turn DRIP on and off in its web interface. Very convenient. Now, I don't have to call in to turn DRIP on or off. Still, I can only reinvest if the dividend can buy a full share.
    Sep 25 02:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kimbo,

Thanks for the fund suggestions. I can look up their top 10 holdings, and if I like those companies, I can buy the best value and best fit company to add to my portfolio. :)

I also have some holdings which I bought more for the capital appreciation than the dividend. In fact, some of my holdings don't pay a dividend. But yes, as Chowder said below, I use dividends received to buy more shares, so the dividends are essential. For example, at the start of this year, I bought Visa and SBUX with low yields, expecting capital appreciation, but they actually haven't appreciated as much as I thought they would. In that case, I would have been better off using those funds to buy a high income Canadian REIT like D.UN. BUT we can't just go with 1-year of return and decide which is the better investment, can we?

If my friend of a friend is renting out the properties, then, I'd expect that HOA fee to be passed on to the tenant.
    Sep 25 02:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    yestoeverything, just to add to your comment...and you can't report a capital loss that occurred in a TFSA either.
    Sep 25 02:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Buyandhold, thanks for sharing your life example. I guess we can't avoid those.
    Sep 25 02:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    xomstock,

"So young folks it starts with saving all you can not just 10%. You need to be tight. And work----hard at what ever you do to be the best to make the money.
    Then invest. Savings, stocks, land, rent property, and some personnel possessions that to not lose value{steel and lead} and the ira's- 401k."

I know some friends who are able to save a whooping 50%! And I agree that there are multiple ways to build assets, not just DGI. Various types of investments can help diversify risk. Just that, I find DGI to be the simplest, and the easiest to start with a small amount of money.
    Sep 25 02:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dealraker,

"Just like in the 1990's up to 2000 the entire civilized world wanted tech stocks; the mid 2000's a bigger house (that wasn't needed); 2009-10-11-12 was gold; today the same crowd wants dividend stocks - thus the valuations are run up." -- That's one I combine dividend growth investing with value investing. I try not to overpay for any company.
    Sep 25 02:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    6685071, thanks for your comment. Have a good day.
    Sep 25 02:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Interesting Times, building your portfolio is like building your personalized ETF. I wish I had jumped onto the DGI train sooner, too.
    Sep 25 02:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CCM, and thank you :)
    Sep 25 02:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jason, if you think it's that easy, why don't you write some articles? I will be sure to give you the click back. And by the way, I got more than 100 new followers after this article was published. Looks like it wasn't wasted time for those people. Perhaps that means you aren't the target audience of this article.
    Sep 25 02:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike, I think I only have the time because I cut down on sleep. ^^!
    Sep 25 02:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Afam, sometimes even though we are certain a stock is undervalued, we still don't know when the price will finally move up. ahem IBM and GM
    Sep 25 02:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment