Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Do I Stick To The Slow, But Sure Process Of Dividend Growth Investing? [View article]
    Buyandhold, thanks. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up for the conservative investor who's looking to build his/her wealth safely and steadily. The younger one starts, the longer the compounding effect takes place, and the bigger the snowball becomes!
    Aug 20 01:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What I'm Doing With My Kinder Morgan Shares As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Came across Josh Peters from Morningstar talking about Kinder Morgan. (Morningstar video: http://bit.ly/YsCejF)

Amongst other points about Kinder Morgan, Josh mentions about the tax situation of the merger: "the tax aspect of this arrangement--for KMI shareholders, they won't really see any change; for shareholders of Kinder Morgan Management [KMR], which is sort of a pass-through tax-bypass vehicle that was structured to attract KMP, it's going to merge into KMI, apparently, with no tax consequences. But for KMP and EPB--again, the limited unit holders who put a lot of capital into the organization over the years--they are going to have their exchange of those limited partner units for KMI shares and cash treated as a sale. It's not going to be a tax-free merger. So, not only are they going to pay a capital gains tax on whatever profit they may have recorded, but you are also looking at--for these unit holders--having a catch up of all of the past deferrals of income recognition, which is one of the benefits of investing in a partnership in the first place."
    Aug 19 02:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    27975573, thanks for sharing your opinion. More importantly, maybe we should focus on the company's fundamentals and ignore the macro factors (since we can't control these, but we can control which company shares we buy)
    Aug 17 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is The Most Exciting Growth Opportunity In 2014 [View article]
    Chuck, thanks for your fundamental analysis on GILD. You brought it to my attention recently in a previous article, at which time I bought a small slice. I also hold small slices of AMGN and ESRX in the HealthCare sector. It will be interesting to see where they go.
    Aug 16 07:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin, good thing you held on! Looks like a bright future ahead with KMI for a DGI :)
    Aug 16 03:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dividends#1 - "I am wondering WHEN and HOW many KMI shares Rich Kinder will be BUYING to give us ALL another signal that he is in charge and BULLISH going forward. Not sure if he is free to buy KMI shares or restricted until the deal closes? Does anyone know? Because Rich Kinder loves to buy KMI!!!"

I don't know whether Mr. Kinder is restricted on how much KMI he can own, but I opt to buy more when the price/yield is right for me. I will also keep a watch on his actions.
    Aug 15 01:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Microcap Bargains, when the interest rates return to the norm, it'll affect the high yielders for sure...but I think only temporarily. More importantly, on such a pullback, if we buy the high quality companies, which does well in the long term (simply look at the trend of the company's earnings, and revenues, etc. in a 10-year period or longer), we should do more than fine.
    Aug 15 01:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    EDGI, I did meet him just the other day! Jolly, nice, and humorous guy. :p
    Aug 15 01:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Microcap Bargains, getting to $30 requires almost a 30% drop. Not impossible, but you'll need something like the financial crisis to see that.
    Aug 14 03:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    siestadreamer, I believe rising interest rates will affect all high-yielding stocks...at least initially. Check out slide 8 of the Kinder Morgan Aug 10, 2014 presentation to see the Benefits of a C-Corp for KMI. (the presentation link: http://bit.ly/oG9Ikp)
    Aug 14 03:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chancer, BoomBoom is correct. I don't get the 15% withholding tax on US dividends only if I hold the company in my retirement account (the RRSP).
    Aug 14 03:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Slick E, thanks for sharing your interesting observation. I have heard other Canadians holding KMI in their retirement account. Because KMI is a C-Corp, we receive the full dividend. I believe KMR pays out shares as the dividend. I do not know how that is handled in the Canadian retirement account.
    Aug 14 03:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    db, I also like UNP as a quality, wide-moat company. It doesn't want to pullback much though..
    Aug 14 03:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CCM, nicely put.
    Aug 14 03:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    EDGI, are you my twin in Europe?

CDGI