Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • I Am A Dividend Growth Investor. I Want Dividends, Growth, And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Thanks Mitul. I think you got some good concepts down. Owning quality stocks lowers downside risk, but one still shouldn't overpay for them (which would increase downside risk). Taking up your financial future in your own hands is a lot of work, and can be scary when starting out, but at the same time it can be very rewarding if you have the interest to learn. It's like a life skill. I'd think you'd rather start early and work with a small amount of money, make mistakes and possibly lose that small amount, than for you to retire and realize you need to take it in your own hands then... So, yes, you'll onto the right path.
    Wish you the best on your investing journey
    - Canadian
    Sep 25 03:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Timmies, I know. I didn't expect so many comments. lol

For a Canadian utility, I like, voila, Canadian Utilities (TSX:CU), but I'd like it to come down more first...

I want to add more D.UN and start DRG.UN eventually. I don't have enough units of D.UN to DRIP. I wonder if my tax guy will hate me if I bought the REITs in the taxable account... lol
    Sep 25 03:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    reata, that's not a bad idea, but I love my dividends.
    Sep 25 03:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    haschultz, thanks for sharing your thoughts. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to properly use options...one of these days
    Sep 25 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DGI Plan, and thanks for your comment. Let's learn and grow together!
    Sep 25 03:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Slick E, I think it depends on how much you're reinvesting and what price it's reinvesting at. It might even be better to accumulate dividends and reinvest the best value and best fit to the portfolio at the time, possibly using "FRIP"ing (if it's available) as utsegodwin mentions below.
    Sep 25 03:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Excellent comment Dave. Thanks for typing it up!
    Sep 25 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Uncle Pie. I love my MCD apple pie.
    Sep 25 03:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wretched turkey, there's no mix up. I said: "MOST of the time, [dividends] are being reinvested to buy more shares"

I can take out cash (possibly dividends) from my TFSA anytime with no tax consequences.
    Sep 25 03:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Minnee, and thank you. I hope this article will inspire your son to consider the DGI + VI path.
    Sep 25 02:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Faye. I'm sticking to DGI or buying stocks in general over real estate investing because I can start with a small amount of money without borrowing. I like writing because it helps me think through DGI more clearly. The discussions which come after can be insightful as well! Good to see another Canadian writing articles again!
    Sep 25 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brendan, if I buy US dividend stocks in the taxable / non-registered account, there's a 15% withholding tax on US dividends (could be more for REITs), but I can file for foreign tax credit. However, I still have to pay marginal tax rate on the foreign dividends...which for the average person is over that 15%.

If I buy in RRSP, there's no withholding tax on the dividends. (maybe different for REITs)

If I buy in the TFSA, there's a 15% withholding tax on US dividends. So, some Canadians would buy US dividend stocks in the RRSP first, then the TFSA, and finally in the taxable account.

The tax situation is probably more complicated for MLPs and BDCs. I'm not even going to try.
    Sep 25 02:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jprada, Inzkeeper gave you a very thorough answer below. For me, I use Scotiabank as my broker. Just recently, they added the functionality for users to be able to turn DRIP on and off in its web interface. Very convenient. Now, I don't have to call in to turn DRIP on or off. Still, I can only reinvest if the dividend can buy a full share.
    Sep 25 02:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kimbo,

Thanks for the fund suggestions. I can look up their top 10 holdings, and if I like those companies, I can buy the best value and best fit company to add to my portfolio. :)

I also have some holdings which I bought more for the capital appreciation than the dividend. In fact, some of my holdings don't pay a dividend. But yes, as Chowder said below, I use dividends received to buy more shares, so the dividends are essential. For example, at the start of this year, I bought Visa and SBUX with low yields, expecting capital appreciation, but they actually haven't appreciated as much as I thought they would. In that case, I would have been better off using those funds to buy a high income Canadian REIT like D.UN. BUT we can't just go with 1-year of return and decide which is the better investment, can we?

If my friend of a friend is renting out the properties, then, I'd expect that HOA fee to be passed on to the tenant.
    Sep 25 02:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    yestoeverything, just to add to your comment...and you can't report a capital loss that occurred in a TFSA either.
    Sep 25 02:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment