Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Dale, I agree comparatively, 2008-2009 and 2000-2003 are more fearful periods. Lots of questions to consider.

Currently, writing an article on Industrials. So, no more Energy for now. :)
    Apr 6, 2015. 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Blackmolly, I agree. Buy when others are fearful. With both CVX and XOM hitting their historical high yields (5-yr high for CVX and 10-yr high for XOM), it's a good time to buy some shares in both dividend champions. Both are expected to raise dividends very soon in May, though I expect the raise to be in low to mid single digit.
    Apr 5, 2015. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Thanks Matthew, doing more research on the Brookfields, and so far so good.
    Apr 4, 2015. 11:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom & Timmies,

I took a quick look at BEP.UN & BIP.UN last night, and both expect to grow distributions in the 5% - 9% range for now. I think one can't go wrong with either company in the long-run.

I will be doing more research on both. So far, I like what I'm seeing, looking at their business models at a high level.

I also looked at BPY.UN, but I already have some other REITs, so I'm leaning more towards BEP.UN and BIP.UN because my portfolio lacks in utilities.
    Apr 4, 2015. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Timmies, F.A.S.T. graphs agrees that valuation-wise, BEP.UN is better valued than BIP.UN right now.
    Apr 4, 2015. 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom,

Thanks for sharing your experience with BIP.UN, and knowledge about BIP.UN and BEP.UN! It's very important to place investments in the right accounts for tax purposes. So, thanks for chiming in.

Best,
    Canadian
    Apr 4, 2015. 01:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Hey Matthew, my research shows BIP.UN pays out US dividends, and is it a MLP? Do you get the full dividend if you buy it in the RRSP or it doesn't matter because it's a Canadian ticker? It'd be great if you could shed some light on that.

Thanks,
    Canadian
    Apr 3, 2015. 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Thanks Matthew, I will add them to the list for research.

Cheerios
    Apr 3, 2015. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Hey Matthew, "for them the whole world is on sale right now." -- lol and I thought I had too many choices :p

Canadian Utilities (CU.TO) takes the 2nd place for the Canadian company with the longest streak of paying growing dividends. It has paid growing dividends for 32 years. Fortis takes the first place with 41 years. Go figures. Another utility.

I like CU over FTS right now because CU has higher growth potential. That said, I'm willing to buy some shares in the slower growth FTS if only its price will come down some more. It'll also be more reassuring if FTS' payout ratio comes down as well. It's over 90% right now!

If you count pipelines as utilities then, I got some too. My biggest position is ENB. I'm not familiar with the "various Brookfield investments". Can you elaborate more?

Thanks,
    Canadian
    Apr 2, 2015. 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy The Sector Dips Portfolio: The Energy Sector Revisited [View article]
    Hi Paulmay, thanks for commenting. I wish I had only bought into my energy holdings after the oil price dip. But we never know when the oil price comes down right?

I'm accumulating energy company shares bite-sized at a time. After this accumulation, I will not buy more shares in any Energy companies unless another drop in oil price occurs. (Other than maybe the pipeline companies such as KMI and ENB.) The oil price drop always occurs for one reason or another. I'm sure you will eventually get your chance in picking up more PSX.

Best,
    Canadian
    Apr 2, 2015. 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Hi Matthew, I suppose I'm writing this article for US investors unless some Canadians converted a stash of CAD to USD when it was at/near par.

"I know the Canadian market is not well diversified enough to base your portfolio upon, however, what we do have is diversified and well run, dividend paying companies in two main categories – Energy and Financials." - We have some nice utilities too :) I like CU.TO right now, although it isn't cheap now, I believe it's in fair value range.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Apr 1, 2015. 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Hi Dale, always appreciate your comments. In terms of cash flow covering dividends or not, you're talking about free cash flow, while I talked about operating cash flow in the article. You're right in that the operating cash flow doesn't account for capital expenditure. So, it's safer to consider FCF than operating cash flow. Many energy companies, including CVX is scaling back capex because of the low oil prices.

The company expects free cash flow to cover dividends by 2017 so there's lots of time to buy into Chevron until then.

"You might want to be patient in the oil patch. We might see investors get nervous. Right now all we here is 'great opportunity'." -- I think easing into the position would help at favourable yield points (e.g. 4%, 4.5%, etc.) or big dips.

Canadian
    Apr 1, 2015. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amid Low Oil Prices, An Investment In Chevron Is Attractive [View article]
    Hey Timmies, thanks for dropping by.

"I like CVX generally, but I would prefer a better entry point." -- I'd like to buy quality companies at lower prices as well, but I never time it well, so my strategy is to average into my positions when the yield is favourable. And CVX shares at 4%+ yield is attractive.

My mom has HSE, so I'm not buying that one. I should do more research on it for her. :p

XOM looks attractive too at 3.2+% yield. Last time it had that high a yield was in 1997-1998.
    Mar 31, 2015. 07:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Canadian REIT That Says Buy Me [View article]
    Hi Brad, enjoying your articles on Canadian REITs. These are names I haven't heard of before (as I've been looking at the bigger players), and look good for further research.
    Mar 30, 2015. 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    It's a good time to do stress tests on any stock portfolios...will the market near its all-time high. Dave, thanks for the reminder and the example.
    Mar 25, 2015. 02:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment