Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Buy The Sector Dips Portfolio: The Energy Sector Continues Dipping [View article]
    Alex, I think Boo means that I'm not continue to average down on the oil stocks after the XLE has retreated 14% more from April's price.

I agree that gambling doubling down is different from averaging down on a stock. I'd gamble for fun and entertainment, but I average down a stock to get higher income and returns...and it's for my eventual financial independence.
    Aug 15, 2015. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Most, doesn't hurt to be cautious, and nibble whenever you really feel an itch. (That's what I'm telling myself now. :))
    Aug 15, 2015. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Eras,

Yea, I'm a Canadian so I need to convert my Canadian dollars to USD when I want to buy a US stock.

I wish I was smart enough to convert all my Canadian dollars to USD when they were at parity. At the time, I did what I could to pick great stocks: US or Canadian. So, I'm about 60% in Canadian stocks and 40% in US right now.

Thanks for checking out my GM article.

Cheers,
    C
    Aug 15, 2015. 03:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner, do you mean buying individual biotechs is high risk?

I just tried looking up FBIOX via my broker, but it can't be found. I suppose the easiest way for me is to buy US stocks.

Thanks, I hope so too. I continue to learn, make mistakes, and learn some more. Mostly sticking to dividend stocks and finding value.
    Aug 15, 2015. 03:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, given the choice between KMI and ENB, I'll pick ENB because converting Canadian dollars to USD requires 30% extra! It's such a pain... I want to buy V and AAPL for growth too...but again, that 30% grrr

INTC is getting interesting. First time I heard of MU, but wow, it's P/E is around 6.

I need to work on my cash, but there's always something good that seems to be on value lol
    Aug 15, 2015. 02:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alex, then, other than "the safest way is still to wait until reversal of the oil price", I should also add "dollar-cost average in".

You're right. It's hard to determine when a reversal begins. So dollar-cost averaging in should help in this situation when you believe you see a reversal.

Most of my energy stocks are down, too. Only ENB and KMI are green.
    Aug 15, 2015. 02:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ted, thanks for dropping by and writing about the article on how to catch a falling knife. It's a good read.

With Energy stocks such as COP, we cannot predict what will happen to the oil price. So it was only wrong to buy them close to multi year high only because we're looking back in hindsight and the oil price dropped. If the oil price had risen, the stocks would have gone up.

It was wrong for me to buy so soon after the dip thinking that the oil price will come back sooner. And it looks like it'd take longer to recover to $60-$70 steadily. For this illustrative portfolio, the first buy in Dec was ok, but not the buy in April.
    Aug 15, 2015. 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mjs, no problem. :)
    Aug 15, 2015. 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mohan,

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience. Recently, the pipelines, KMI, for example has started falling, too. Still, I agree pipelines are more resilient to the oil price volatility.

I'm a stock owner so I don't hold any ETFs or mutual funds. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely consider them.
    Aug 15, 2015. 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Horowitz,

Thanks for your comments, and sharing your selectively buying list.

From your entertainment stocks list, I've only somewhat kept up-to-date with DIS, which I think could be worth a nibble here if someone really really wants to add it to their portfolio. On initial look, VIAB look to be in too much debt for my liking. So, if I were looking into buying today, I'd be researching the higher quality ones: DIS and CMCSK first. However, since they're higher quality, they're more expensive valuation-wise than the other two. I guess you get what you pay for.

You got a nice financials list there. BEN's fall in price maybe partially due to a special dividend, and the other two looks like possibilities.
    Aug 15, 2015. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Erasner,

"I certainly wouldn't add to a 30% position. Many stocks have gone down significantly recently, and there are other areas where you will be able to, "buy the dip"."

That's a great point, since there's only so much capital to go around.

AAPL does look undervalued. I want to nibble here.

GILD is my biggest biotech holding, but buying the fund of FBIOX is a safer way to go. Thank you also for your suggestion in VGHCX.

Interesting you mention GM; I actually wrote an article about it at the end of July: http://seekingalpha.co...

There are some US stocks I want to buy now, but the 30% "extra" I need to pay to convert Canadian to USD is a deterrent.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, one of these days, I'm going to learn how options work.

I remember when you suggested to wait until $75 before considering XOM. It's almost there now, around which time maybe for a nibble.

"The problem I have with XOM specifically is that total return for the past decade has been just the dividends and if we have an oil lower for longer scenario playing out over multiple years then XOM is not that well positioned."

The return one gets depends on if they bought at the highs or bought after the oil price tanks (assuming it rebounds eventually). Longrundata.com indicates 5% total return (with dividends reinvested) if one invested in XOM 10 years ago. Indeed, not spectacular. For comparison, Chevron returned 6.7% in the same period.

Maybe one way to do it is to buy at desired yield points, but with the oil price estimated to stay low for multiple years by experts, the safest way is still to wait until reversal of the oil price.

Which companies would you recommend in the energy space instead of XOM? Personally, I'm more bullish on the pipelines, and since I'm sticking with C corps, that'd be KMI. And since I'm a Canadian, ENB as well, and maybe TRP.
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mjs, Capital is probably bringing up catching a falling knife because a link to an article about it was at the bottom of the article.

From what the following says, it seems any "great" fall in price is considered a falling knife.

In Investopedia's definition of it, it states:
    "A falling knife situation can occur because of actual business results (such as a big drop in net earnings) or because of increasingly negative investor sentiment."

Read more: http://bit.ly/1HNOcmI
    Follow us: @Investopedia on Twitter
    Aug 15, 2015. 09:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Motors Is Attractively Valued [View article]
    KBC, congratulations on your first article! :)
    Jul 29, 2015. 07:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes A Full Position Or Half Position In A Dividend Growth Portfolio? [View article]
    AZ, I think it's useful to look at one's portfolio in different perspectives: using the methods outlined above, separating the stocks into sectors as you mention, and even industries cuz there are so many different industries within sectors.

My holdings are 11 groups:
    Consumer Discretionary, Energy, IT, Financial Services, eREIT, Consumer Staples, Telecomm Services, Industrials, Healthcare, Materials, and Utilities.

I don't view the Material sector as a part of my DG portfolio, but I do hold some positions there for trades.
    Jul 29, 2015. 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment