Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Adding High Growth Core Holdings To Strengthen My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    siesta, DIS looks a bit overvalued, but good to have on the radar.
    Feb 13 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gstanley, thanks for dropping by. I think Visa will do well for us.
    Feb 13 01:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, I still hold a small position in RCI.B.
    Feb 13 01:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies,

"I would encourage to look for similar companies with lower PEs and or lower entry points."

Do you have some names in mind?

"Patience is the hardest thing to learn. Fair value is just that, fair. Any slip in performance and any company might take a while for your investment to pay off."

That's a good point about slip in performance.
    Feb 13 01:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting, Snoopy. Morningstar has SBUX at 23x forward P/E at $73.91. Perhaps it is using the earnings according to its fiscal year which ends in September.
    Feb 13 01:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reduce Risk Of Buying A Lower Quality Company For A Higher Yield And Return [View article]
    rnsmth, it's good that you're comfortable with your position. Looks like DLR is doing what you bought it to do.
    Feb 13 01:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying On The Dip, A Strategy [View article]
    Bob J,

The historical norm or so I heard is USD/CDN 1.15. Currently, Google Finance shows USD/CDN 1.0989.
    Feb 12 01:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Being widely diversified and resultantly each position only worth a tiny percentage of the portfolio certainly helps control emotional selling. But wouldn't it be difficult to keep track of the developments of all your holdings since you'll have a big list?
    Feb 11 02:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Dividend Sleuth. I remember reading your article when it came out. Thanks for sharing.
    Feb 11 01:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Skip. A full position for me is not big enough to fit 5 separate holdings, as in your terms. As my portfolio grows, and my full position grows along with it, it would be interesting to try your idea of multiple REITs making up a full position.

I'm avoiding MLPs because the tax situation seems to be more complicated (especially for a Canadian?) but I'm holding some KMI in my tax-deferred account.

Looks like you did some nice shopping buying on the dip. My TGT position is way down. Good that I only have a half position. So, I might buy the remaining half position to lower the average cost per share.
    Feb 11 01:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ca, hopefully an investor will check more than just the S&P rating before buying/selling a position (e.g. check: valuation, earnings estimations, revenue, cash flow, debt levels, etc.)
    Feb 11 01:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    6019791, last time I checked, S&P gave rating of BBB. I can't check again now because the site is down...
    Feb 10 10:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin, generally I agree with what you said. About buying more shares when it dropped a certain percentage. I do that, too. Something to keep in mind though: we want to start accumulating shares of companies when they're at fair value or under, but if it goes way undervalued, then, it means something is dragging it down...could be lower revenues, increased competition, etc. and we need to determine whether it is a better buy at the lower price or if it's a falling knife. That's where capital allocation limits, portfolio allocation management comes in.
    Feb 10 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying On The Dip, A Strategy [View article]
    richjoy, thanks for the tip on Yahoo charts. That's neat! -- will read the article next.
    Feb 10 09:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies, perhaps at this time, I feel more comfortable sticking to more traditional holdings.

Fore rule #3, I think it depends on which holding it is. Usually, my core holdings are for holding long-term, and I don't plan to sell them unless they stop growing the dividends, their fundamentals change, or they become excessively overvalued (and there's another company I can replace it with)

As a younger investor, I probably should sprinkle more growth into my portfolio, so I sold DLR and split the proceeds toward 2 higher growth companies.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on DLR.
    Feb 10 09:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment