Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Do I Stick To The Slow, But Sure Process Of Dividend Growth Investing? [View article]
    dazman91, thanks for reading! I can't agree more to keep track of ones progress (whether it'd be capital gains or dividends received), and reviewing the results to make improvements in your "business plan".
    Aug 20 01:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mcarbaugh, looks like you got a plan which is working for you. Working in small amounts can be a good thing because it makes one less emotional about the investment decisions. I wish my broker had FRIP. Unfortunately, it only offers DRIP only if it's enough to buy 1 share. So, I'm pretty much receiving my dividends as they are and pooling with new funds which become available to make new purchases.
    Aug 20 01:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    3WallPaul, that's an interesting idea. Where can one get an account to do the paper trading for this?
    Aug 20 01:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    3WallPaul, I hear ya about starting with an equal-weight portfolio, in which the same amount of capital is allocated to each business (e.g. $1000 each in each holding). I should point out that I hold all the businesses mentioned in this article, but I don't hold 10 shares of each. I made up that simple example to show the point that starting small can build up to something bigger, and not to belittle the dividend pay check no matter how small.
    Aug 20 01:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PACKER man, I determine which company would be a core holding and which would be for short-term capital gain only. That way, I reduce my trading frequency.
    Aug 20 01:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pequa Capital, just shows that more than one road leads to Rome. Some investors use other strategies to build up their assets before converting to a dividend growth strategy. For example, a friend of mine is playing with options, while others like to dollar-cost average into ETFs or mutual funds. One could always use a mix of methods and don't necessarily have to stick to one. That's what so fun about investing. One can learn and try something new each time!

It must have been fun to invest a large amount into DGI though I suspect it took months or even years to make that transition. To me, buying in a big lump sum is daunting.
    Aug 20 01:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Buyandhold, thanks. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up for the conservative investor who's looking to build his/her wealth safely and steadily. The younger one starts, the longer the compounding effect takes place, and the bigger the snowball becomes!
    Aug 20 01:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What I'm Doing With My Kinder Morgan Shares As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Came across Josh Peters from Morningstar talking about Kinder Morgan. (Morningstar video: http://bit.ly/YsCejF)

Amongst other points about Kinder Morgan, Josh mentions about the tax situation of the merger: "the tax aspect of this arrangement--for KMI shareholders, they won't really see any change; for shareholders of Kinder Morgan Management [KMR], which is sort of a pass-through tax-bypass vehicle that was structured to attract KMP, it's going to merge into KMI, apparently, with no tax consequences. But for KMP and EPB--again, the limited unit holders who put a lot of capital into the organization over the years--they are going to have their exchange of those limited partner units for KMI shares and cash treated as a sale. It's not going to be a tax-free merger. So, not only are they going to pay a capital gains tax on whatever profit they may have recorded, but you are also looking at--for these unit holders--having a catch up of all of the past deferrals of income recognition, which is one of the benefits of investing in a partnership in the first place."
    Aug 19 02:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    27975573, thanks for sharing your opinion. More importantly, maybe we should focus on the company's fundamentals and ignore the macro factors (since we can't control these, but we can control which company shares we buy)
    Aug 17 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is The Most Exciting Growth Opportunity In 2014 [View article]
    Chuck, thanks for your fundamental analysis on GILD. You brought it to my attention recently in a previous article, at which time I bought a small slice. I also hold small slices of AMGN and ESRX in the HealthCare sector. It will be interesting to see where they go.
    Aug 16 07:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin, good thing you held on! Looks like a bright future ahead with KMI for a DGI :)
    Aug 16 03:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dividends#1 - "I am wondering WHEN and HOW many KMI shares Rich Kinder will be BUYING to give us ALL another signal that he is in charge and BULLISH going forward. Not sure if he is free to buy KMI shares or restricted until the deal closes? Does anyone know? Because Rich Kinder loves to buy KMI!!!"

I don't know whether Mr. Kinder is restricted on how much KMI he can own, but I opt to buy more when the price/yield is right for me. I will also keep a watch on his actions.
    Aug 15 01:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Microcap Bargains, when the interest rates return to the norm, it'll affect the high yielders for sure...but I think only temporarily. More importantly, on such a pullback, if we buy the high quality companies, which does well in the long term (simply look at the trend of the company's earnings, and revenues, etc. in a 10-year period or longer), we should do more than fine.
    Aug 15 01:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    EDGI, I did meet him just the other day! Jolly, nice, and humorous guy. :p
    Aug 15 01:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Microcap Bargains, getting to $30 requires almost a 30% drop. Not impossible, but you'll need something like the financial crisis to see that.
    Aug 14 03:41 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment