Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Gift From Mr. Market: What To Buy In The Big Oils' 10% Pullback [View article]
    Thanks Bahamas. COP maybe another good one, but it's sitting at 3-star right now.
    Sep 29, 2014. 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CCM, thanks. Nothing wrong with picking up shares of both companies. :)
    Sep 29, 2014. 11:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I've updated the article on: SU's S&P credit rating was upgraded from BBB+ to A- last Friday. So, SU now has a higher credit rating than SU. That said, income investors who already own SU might buy some CVE in this sector-wide pullback for diversification and a higher yield.
    Sep 29, 2014. 11:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks JoeG. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Sep 29, 2014. 11:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    "CUF-UN.TO is a great REIT to consider, currently yielding 7.6%, has recently upped it's distribution, has healthy FFO growth and sells for less than book value. Chuck Carnevale recently recommended it in an article."

For people interested, Chuck Carnevale's article which mentions Cominar (published in May), on 11 attractive Canadian dividend growth stocks: http://bit.ly/YEhVPZ
    Sep 29, 2014. 03:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Am A Dividend Growth Investor. I Want Dividends, Growth, And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Timmies, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Several times I tried to keep some cash on hand, but failed to do so. There's always something I want at a reasonable price, if not at a slight discount, on the market. Right now, I feel like I should be building cash again instead of thinking where I can put my money to work, as the "where" right now is in lower quality companies.
    Sep 28, 2014. 03:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    Faye, thanks for sharing your experiences with the different accounts. :) They're interesting to read and good to learn from.
    Sep 28, 2014. 03:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks BoomBoom. I will mark down both for further research.
    Sep 28, 2014. 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    WT, for Scotiabank customers, it looks like one could easily withdraw from the TFSA via ScotiaOnline. So, it's easy to withdraw cash. I think you need to call in if you want to transfer shares out.
    Sep 28, 2014. 03:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ledlights, thanks for the link! The PDF looks useful. Other than a section on BDCs, there's one on REITs as well. I could use more reading on that as well. I already follow BDC Buzz. Now, I just need to start reading and learning. :)
    Sep 28, 2014. 02:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    Greg, just sharing my opinion here, seeing as I'm in my late 20s. You said, "my view is that with the immediate income tax benefit to the RRSP v TFSA only benefiting the capital gain, their is more bang for the buck in RRSP contributions. When they max out the RRSP room, then we will start working on the TFSA carry forward room."

I don't entirely agree with that. Since your girls are at a young age, if they do have a low tax bracket right now, then in their retirement years, their tax bracket maybe higher than it is now. So, for the younger people who have learned the ropes of investing in their non-registered account (make "all" the mistakes there so can report for capital loss if need to), then, contribute TFSA to the full. Then, contribute "comfortably" to RRSP to defer taxes.

Then again, I'm speaking from a stock portfolio perspective (I currently only hold stocks and cash). ETFs are less volatile and easier to hold, so you might skip the learning the ropes in non-registered account step.

Canadian
    Sep 27, 2014. 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    I second what Eddie said: "I tend to think that a younger person starting out investing is going to have even less money they can afford to lose which means to me they should take less risk." -- I have first hand experience lol...was playing something risky like the leveraged index thingies (the x3's). If you don't know what I'm talking about that's good. I'm not going to say what the symbol is...don't want to screw someone else over.
    Sep 27, 2014. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Young Canadian Portfolio [View article]
    My next article is all 4 oil companies, Suncor being one of them. If you want more detailed research on Suncor, check out Kenny Yang's articles. He writes about Canadian companies on here.

Well, D.UN is an office REIT while Rio is a retail one, so D.UN will help diversify if/when you decide to add it. Check out D.UN's July 2014 Investor Presentation (pdf: http://bit.ly/1rliScF) to learn more, esp. slides 11-13, 17, and 24.
    Sep 27, 2014. 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Didn't know MAIN is a BDC. lol I first need to read up on what BDC is...keep hearing it being thrown around.
    Sep 27, 2014. 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks BoomBoom. Happy to know it has no withholding taxes. I will probably look into both SDRL and ESV for further research as a speculative play.
    Sep 27, 2014. 02:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment