Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Timmies,

Thank you for sharing your long-term view belief in the sectors of technology and healthcare. I do lack in the Healthcare, Industrials, Utilities, and Staples sectors. I guess I bought what I thought were the best buy for my portfolio when funds were available. Also, I did own JNJ for a very short time (when it was selling at a 4% yield) lol...but I still had too much trader mentality in me at the time. If I had that opportunity now, I think I would be able to hold on.

SLW was a trade indeed. And the action came faster than I thought it would.

All my positions which don't pay a dividend such as Priceline are small positions in my portfolio because I'm still testing my sentiment in that area.
    Amgen is a company I see whose name is being thrown around in the DGI community here. I don't know about biotechnology much, so I also only bought a small position in it. Will see how they go

FAST Graphs is an indispensable tool for me now. Helps with analyzing individual companies. I also use Morningstar to look at the Key Ratios and check out the company websites.

The market isn't outrageously valued. So I still bought the likes of IBM, RTN, and ROST recently in small positions. I like easing in to my positions. :) Less emotional

I'm a bit uncomfortable about buying airline companies because it's a cyclical/seasonal(?) business and if oil prices go up... On the other hand, WJA's FAST Graph doesn't look bad at all. The 4 companies you mentioned are fairly valued or arguably slightly undervalued according to FAST, but they don't seem to be "high quality" companies. I feel it's harder now than (say a year ago) to find good companies at a good deal to buy. But if you look, they're still some.

Thanks, and good luck with your picks as well!
    Jul 19 01:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Dodger, thanks for the inspiration. ESRX's pullback today might have been a good time to add.

Thanks,
    Canadian
    Jul 17 01:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    NV_GARY, short-term price movements are impossible to predict; if the cloud and big data work out for IBM, it shall go up much higher in the future.
    Jul 15 11:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Timmies, yes, I believe after this time, I shall not sell anymore BNS...unless it becomes outrageously overvalued.

Which of my growth opportunities do you like?

Yea, after this year's experience, I realized also that it's better to keep the funds in the US non-registered account alone instead of withdrawing and funding it, as going both ways, that's 4% lost already. Plus the commissions, that could be up to 6% lost both ways!
    Jul 15 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks Golfer. Have a good day!
    Jul 15 11:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BuffaloBell, yea, there are some in there. Still learning. :)
    Jul 15 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 2014 Update: My Whistler Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    robandcindy, thanks!
    Jul 15 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    SDS, can't argue with that ;)

Outside of this investing hobby, we should still enjoy other aspects of life. I think that's what you're implying
    Jul 14 06:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    "For me diversification is not important. In retirement, if you lose 10% of your funds, you are in trouble. At my age, if one of my stocks loses its value and I lose 10%, I have many years to make that up."

One can better visualize by thinking say someone in retirement, having a $1M portfolio, 10% equates to $100k, while someone early on in accumulation stage might start with say, a $10k portfolio (10 stocks), and 10% equates only to $1k.

It is not clear from your comment what you mean by "if one of my stocks loses its value and I lose 10%, I have many years to make that up." -- do you mean that you take a capital loss or you wait for the unrealized loss to regain its price?

I used to think that it's ok to lose 10% here and there, and then make it up later. But it's harder said than done. How do you know that the next stock you buy will make that up? I've done something stupid like -- sell 1 stock at a loss of 10%, thinking I can gain it back elsewhere, only to not have enough patience to hold the next stock to regain that 10% (to get back to break-even).

Now, I just dollar-cost average into positions when I find a high quality company priced at a value (fairly valued or at a discount) -- and everyone has a different way of deciding that.

In essence, I'm trying to hold for the long-term and actually benefit from receiving a growing income stream.

On the other hand, there are some stocks that are for trading only.
    Jul 14 04:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    SDS, if you're tagging a cost to researching whether to buy a stock in your portfolio, then you're viewing it as a job. Not sure how everyone else feels about it, but I actually enjoy building my portfolio and reading articles about them, analyzing a company via FAST graphs, looking at its key ratios (revenue, EPS, payout ratio, free cash flow, etc) 10-year trend on Morningstar, etc.

I don't view it as a job. I view it as a hobby which leads me to my financial independence one day. And I enjoy doing it.

I have some friends who refuse to learn about this stuff. They might buy mutual funds or ETFs or decide to get their own place...all fine decisions, as long as they're doing something to grow their nest egg and they're comfortable with what they're doing
    Jul 14 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    6228371,
    "BCE and T have been poor performers over the past 3 years."

It depends when/at what price (valuation) you bought them at. If you bought them in the sector-wide drop in July 2013, you would have done pretty well with a higher yield than the index.
    Jul 14 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    Dale,

"Don't worry about the yield, you're not spending the money. The only thing that matter in the accumulation phase is total return (at the proper risk level)."

It's true that I'm not spending the money, but I'm reinvesting the dividends. Higher dividends means I can buy more shares. So, I try to balance the income and growth. As a result, I hold high yielders (4-5%) down to the low yielders (1-2%), and the in-betweens (3%).

The high yielders are expected to grow 4-7%. The low yielders, are expected to grow double digits. and the 3% yielders 6-7%.
    Jul 14 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    Even though BCE has a relatively high yield, its growth is also pretty "high" (6%?) as it's 3% higher than inflation. Keeping up with purchasing power and then some. :D
    Jul 12 03:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought Raytheon At 10% Discount For Dividend Growth And Steady Price Appreciation [View article]
    EVENFLOW, nicely done for buying Raytheon at the right times and having the patience to hold on for the dividend growth (and substantial capital gains)!
    Jul 12 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Young Person's Portfolio [View article]
    Regarding diversification for young people, one of my earlier articles is about "During Accumulation Phase, it's ok to be Concentrated": BCE), Telus (TU/TSX:T), and Rogers (RCI/TSX:RCI.B) back in July 2013.

Disclosure: I currently only own MSFT, BCE, and T from above. And out of most of my RCI.B. (Decided to go with Telus, and BCE later on)
    Jul 11 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment