Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • I Am A Dividend Growth Investor. I Want Dividends, Growth, And Dividend Growth [View article]
    godalmightee, that's a nice list you got there, but how many of those can be purchased on the US exchanges? I only know about RDS.B that can be bought with no withholding tax on the dividend.
    Oct 29, 2014. 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BoomBoom, thanks for sharing the article on the "Dividend Zombies". I'm surprised to see SWK on the list as I thought Industrials experience more roller-coaster type earnings. And it's also the first time I see PPG. Got it bookmarked to read this article later.
    Oct 29, 2014. 02:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solving The Mystery Of 10 By 10 - How Does A Dividend Growth Investor Get From Point A To Point B? [View article]
    George,

"What I would really like is something that would tell me that I have reached a self-sustaining portfolio position, where I can just say, "Well, I'm done. I have reached nirvana."

Well, a good place to start is figure out how much you're spending monthly (after including one-time costs or occasional costs - e.g. car maintenance, buying a computer). Then, times that number by 12 to figure out your annual expenses. Then, aim to get your annual dividends to reach that annual number. Your portfolio as a whole, growing dividends at a rate higher than inflation should theoretically take care of the rest.
    Oct 26, 2014. 05:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kitkat, "It is important to diversify & pay special attention to the companies you are invested in..."

I agree it's important to diversify, and having to pay attention to news of your holdings, but if there were bad news in the press, wouldn't it already be priced in on the market?
    Oct 26, 2014. 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My portfolio is a relatively new one, and I only started recording the portfolio value and dividends received at the end of last year. I plan to do the same at the end of this year. It's complex and cumbersome in my mind to distinguish between organic portfolio growth or new money coming in because I'm still in the accumulation phase. But I keep track of the dividend growth of each holding. (The hassle also comes from the fact that I have a taxable account (split into 2 accounts: 1) Canadian stocks, 2) US stocks), retirement account, and tax free account. And for US exchange buys/sells, I should be keeping track of the forex.) These 4 accounts lump together to form my portfolio as a whole.

Yes, the portfolio income growth is tracked, but individual parts of the machine must be tracked too. They must each pull their own weight, at least up to par with my expectation of it when I bought it. (I keep a document of each of my holdings and why I bought them or what I bought them for. I update this document as there are new developments for each company.)
    Oct 26, 2014. 05:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Companies Sensitive To The Oil Price Decline And Those That Are Not [View article]
    Hi ainjibi, welcome to the world of investing. A US investor don't need to worry about the foreign withholding tax on the dividend if you're holding Kinder Morgan (KMI) shares. As far as I know, for a US investor, KMI dividends are qualified and favourably taxed in the US taxable account.

You would need to possibly worry about withholding tax on dividends if you're buying foreign stocks (non-US stocks). There's a tax treaty between Canada and the US. So, a US investor buying Canadian stocks in their retirement accounts wouldn't have the foreign withholding tax deducted.

Other US investors, please chime in especially if I'm wrong.
    Oct 25, 2014. 02:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Ricardo,

"If shares in U.S. or other foreign corporations are held in a non-registered account or a Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA), withholding tax will be deducted from dividends received."

As I said previously, the list of companies in this blog post don't have withholding tax on the foreign dividends:
    So, holding them in either TFSA or RRSP or even non-registered, you should receive the full dividend.

What you are quoting is about US or other foreign corporations which have withholding tax on the dividends... They are different. My list holds the exceptions which don't have the withholding tax on the dividends. And I'm willing to update the list along the way if anyone finds any corrections or additions.

I hope this finally clears it up. :)
    Oct 25, 2014. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I refer to TaxTips.ca sometimes as well. It is a credible site although it might not indicate so on first glance. :p
    Oct 24, 2014. 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Currently, I'm holding one US REIT, Ventas (VTR) in my RRSP, and there's no withholding tax on the distribution. I was told that Realty Income (O) also has no withholding tax on its distributions in the RRSP.
    Oct 24, 2014. 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    KMI is a C-corp, and its eventual consolidated company will remain a C-corp. So if you hold KMI in your RRSP, there's no withholding tax on the dividend.
    Oct 24, 2014. 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ricardo, yes, generally, US stocks' dividends are dinged 15% foreign withholding tax in the TFSA. However, as you mention, there are some companies listed on the US exchange which are based in other countries. I've gathered commentary from investors and reached this list (Foreign Dividends with No Withholding Tax) that I posted on my blog:

I haven't held Royal Dutch Shell before, but have been told that there's no withholding tax on the dividends of RDS.B, but the tax exists for holding RDS.A. Could it be that you held RDS.A before?
    Oct 24, 2014. 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Matthew. Fair comment.

Here's a WCS fact sheet on Cenovus' website: http://bit.ly/13prgHg
    Oct 23, 2014. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    and there's RDS.B
    Oct 23, 2014. 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Update: The numbers have been corrected for the purpose of this article.
    Oct 22, 2014. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Note: Some numbers in the article are wrong. I'm sending in a request to get them fixed.
    Oct 22, 2014. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment