Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Keith, looks like you have it all planned out for your portfolio. And it's not like everything is set in stone. We can always update our plans as needed for our goals whatever they maybe. :)

Iron sharpening iron. ;) That's what the SA community is about. My iron gets sharpened all the time, esp. when I write an article.

Cheerios,
    Canadian
    May 30, 2015. 06:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    BoomBoom, nice choices. Based on forward P/CFL, BEP seems to be a better value than BIP, but BIP is more diversified. Also more research is needed to figure out why BIP's cash flow is dipping in 2015 estimates on FAST.
    May 30, 2015. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    gk, thanks for sharing your holdings. The water utilities are always so expensive. It's hard to initiate a position in them. Another name I know of is WTR.
    May 30, 2015. 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Lakarr, you're welcome. Utilities generally provide a nice current income. What's not to like? :)
    May 30, 2015. 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Riddix,

Currently, SO pays out $2.17 per share annually. Using its 2014 EPS of 2.8, the payout ratio is about 78%. It should be lower if using 2015's estimated EPS.
    May 30, 2015. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    1000,

Thank you for your kind comment and sharing your utility holdings.

"I could be wrong but it's very likely that both utes and reits will go further down in the next few months. So, it may be really good timing to initiate a new positions (or to add) in these sectors..." -- I don't know whether you mean "it's very likely" or "not very likely" lol Anyway, there have been talks about rising interest rates that could cause it to go down further. That's why I like dollar-cost averaging in on dips.

Canadian
    May 30, 2015. 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Hardog, wow, 4 decades; talk about long-term investing!
    May 30, 2015. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Keith,

"I sold DUK after only a few months mostly because I thought that the risk/reward wasn't great, and because I had greater confidence in things like T, VZ, and KMI...I have kept SO because of the greater yield, but I still think that the telecoms and pipeline companies have much better prospects going forward." -- It seems like your only utility is SO. I think you might want to think back what's the purpose of utilities in your portfolio. To me, they add stability and higher income to a portfolio, generally speaking. They won't outperform in a growing economy but their businesses should generate a stable cash flow even in a down market.

Thanks for checking out my article on ITC. I like its management as well.

Indeed, KMI hardly experienced what I'd call a dip. It makes sense that it's holding up better than XOM and CVX as it is less affected by commodity price fluctuations.

lol If I were a long lost cousin, I'd be a more distant one as I'm more on the west side.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    May 30, 2015. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Rhiannion, I don't own SO yet even though I'd like to (see my comment to rose nose above). The idea is to complement SO's high yield with ITC's lower yield but higher growth. For example, if you're a younger investor with longer time horizon, you might not need the income now, but opt for higher growth.

Hope this helps,
    C
    May 30, 2015. 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    George, thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 30, 2015. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Dividend House, you're welcome. I enjoyed doing this analysis. Your daughter has lots of time for growth. You might want to consider complementing that high yield SO with lower yield but higher growth ITC.

Good luck to you too!
    May 30, 2015. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Thanks maybe. Patience patience for the ones that are still not fair.
    May 30, 2015. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Steve, glad you got something useful out of the article. Thanks for dropping by.
    May 30, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jajr,

"Utilities are a great defensive sector...While they will probably have an off year this year because of rising rates, they have been one of the top performing sectors the last several years." - Agreed. Utilities' businesses remain stable no matter what the market is doing, so buying the leaders at reasonable prices is not a bad idea.

In terms of the allocation though, investors can decide for themselves. Some want more growth so utilities may not be the best place to look.
    May 29, 2015. 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sector Dips Portfolio: Which Utilities To Buy? [View article]
    Paper, good point, interest rate hikes will most likely temporarily cause high yielders to dip some more.
    May 29, 2015. 04:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment