Canadian Dividend Growth Investor

View Canadian Dividend Growth Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    Thanks Inz! Here's the official release by the government saying Canadians can immediately take advantage of the proposed $10k TFSA annual limit: http://bit.ly/1DDBOF5
    Apr 27, 2015. 01:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    Toronto Gal, I do share some of my findings on Motley Fool: http://bit.ly/1DDBnuj

However with that long list of articles, it's hard to tell which are the top ideas. But I already mentioned a couple in this comment stream: TSX:CWB and TSX:NPR.UN

I specifically write about the top ideas (Canadian and US) in my SA premium service as well.

Else, investors can always refer to the Canadian Dividend All Star List that I linked above. I find it fun to do your own research anyway and it's a joy when you find a gem. :)

Hope this helps,
    Canadian
    Apr 27, 2015. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    BoomBoom and On2Freedom,

Last time I checked, Seeking Alpha wouldn't publish solely Canadian stocks articles unless they're relevant to the US as well; a stock that's listed on the TSX and NYSE would suffice as long as there's original analysis on the company that would apply to both sides. Majority of SA readership are here for the US stocks after all.

So, I think it'd be challenging to get an article series on CDG30 to be published on SA, even though it's a great idea. That's one reason why I created my premium service which includes Canadian DG stocks.

I do maintain a portfolio of US DG stocks and Canadian DG stocks. BoomBoom mentioned the Canadian Dividend All Star List with companies that have increased dividends for 5+ calendar years. http://bit.ly/10Whlhb

I filter that list down to see which is a good buy at the present time and I also explore other companies, mostly dividend players. And I get ideas from you guys, too!
    Apr 25, 2015. 08:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dale's Super 7 Dividend Aristocrat And Achievers Portfolio Core [View article]
    Dale,

I like that your dividend growth index skimming strategy is quick, easy, and simple. I actually do something similar at times...to see the top 10 holdings of certain ETFs. But I use multiple valuation tools to see which ones are at a better value and then decide if I need more of that in my portfolio. It's fun to do, too.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    Yes, here's a brief introduction to Canadian Western Bank (TSX:CWB) and Northern Property REIT (TSX:NPR.UN). They have gone done in price recently because they do business in resource-rich areas of Canada.

CWB is a bank with about 2.5B market cap. It mainly does business in the 4 western provinces. It has paid an increasing dividend for 23 years and currently yields 2.75%.

NPR.UN is a residential REIT that owns and operates properties in areas with natural resources such as oil, natural gas, diamonds, forestry products, and agriculture. Some of its properties are rented to government and corporations via long-term leases. It has raised distributions for 12 years, raised it 8 times, and never cut it. It currently pays out a juicy yield of 6.5%.

I believe both are still priced cheaply to historical levels.

Cheers,
    Canadian
    Apr 23, 2015. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    Inz, nice article.

I hold only a stock and cash portfolio.

My TFSA is filled mostly with buys I expect will have high gains (either companies I believe are undervalued and will come back OR high growth companies that may or may not pay a dividend), and REITs.

2 comeback stories I have in there are CWB and NPR.UN (more comfortable with CWB). 2 high growth stories I have in there are GILD and PCLN (more comfortable with GILD). Future will tell whether they will play out.

My RRSP has some REITs and some high-yield US dividend stocks (3%+ yields).

Best,
    Canadian
    Apr 23, 2015. 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    Because I have a short memory, I keep a list of the companies paying foreign dividends with no withholding tax so I and others can reference as needed: http://bit.ly/1K9EyOJ

Canadian
    Apr 23, 2015. 01:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Putting In My Tax-Free Savings Account [View article]
    Toronto Gal,

You got some nice holdings with the banks, BCE, and Fortis. Another utility you can consider is Canadian Utilities (CU). It has raised dividends for 32 consecutive years, second to Fortis with 41 years. Historically, CU has higher DG than FTS. FTS' 1/3/5-yr DGR: 3.2 3.3 4.2; CU's 1/3/5-yr DGR: 10.3 10.0 8.7

Bazz White below mentioned BIP.UN. I heard good things about it. I've done some reading on the company, and in the foreseeable future, the company sees DGR of 5-9% per year.

Another company managed by the same team (BAM) as BIP.UN is BEP.UN that also pays out distributions and if you want to avoid the tax hassle, can opt to buy in TFSA/RRSP. In the foreseeable future, the company also sees DGR of 5-9% per year.

Canadian
    Apr 23, 2015. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Skewed Nature Of Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Eli, the concept is still a bit blurry to me, but I believe I get the general idea: faster dividend growth will eventually overtake the slower dividend growth so the portfolio's dividend growth rate changes. It gets even more complicated as one visualizes adding more holdings into the mix for analysis, and each company raises dividends at different rates each year.

You did your best in explaining the concept by simplifying it and using real world examples. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do that!
    Canadian
    Apr 22, 2015. 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Skewed Nature Of Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Roady,

I haven't attempted to calculate my portfolio's dividend growth rate, but I do track the amount of dividends I receive from each position in a spreadsheet.

"Multiply...your number of shares for each position by total dividends paid by each position in 2014

Do the same for 2015. The difference is how I calculate my dividend growth."

Now that you put it that simply, I should be able to do that in my spreadsheet. But...what happens when I receive certain US dividends and they get converted to Canadian dollars? The amount I record and using the method you listed wouldn't give me the "authentic" dividend growth rate, as obviously, forex rate fluctuates.

Perhaps to calculate the DGR, I should just keep all dividends in their actual currency, and pretend they're all the same to keep it simple, and true to the organic dividend growth.

Canadian
    Apr 22, 2015. 02:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Core Healthcare Companies In My Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BoomBoom, thanks for sharing :) NHI is a new name, and looks to be priced at fair value via FAST graphs.
    Apr 21, 2015. 02:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core Healthcare Companies In My Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    sfpdf, thanks for sharing! OHI got mentioned a lot, along with JNJ...and there's a new name, AET, for new exploration.
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core Healthcare Companies In My Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Doug, appreciate your list and your insight in JNJ, and thanks for the nice comment.

PIE lover
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core Healthcare Companies In My Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Brokenbug, wow! That's indeed pricy. Better do what I can to stay healthy by eating right and exercising.
    Apr 21, 2015. 01:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core Healthcare Companies In My Income And Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Tincupinhand, thanks for the name. I haven't had much experience with small caps, so I wouldn't buy CHE, and esp. not as a core holding. But that's just me. If small caps survive, they grow much faster than large caps, so it could be a high flyer.

Wish you the best in your investment!
    Canadian