Cassina Tarsia

View Cassina Tarsia's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Comprehensive Look At Tesla's Home Batteries [View article]
    Blue Sky & Sunshine ...
    Security is an enormous reason to purchase one of these batteries ... and with solar panels - especially in California where I am - during the day these batteries can easily be kept at or near full charge ... which leaves only about five or six hours at night to worry about using the 10 kWh of battery power; if you want to run your furnace at night, then there needs to be a bit more care taken so as to be able to maintain what is left of the battery. All in all, though, this battery can be a lifesaver when it comes to an extended outage, and also it is far better than a gasoline or diesel generator since there is absolutely no maintenance necessary - as is necessary with the former - in order to keep it in top shape. I think that for this reason, and what I said earlier, there will be a very great demand for installing this type of back-up battery, especially when paired with solar panels. And in the long run it should benefit Tesla's business and bottom line as time goes by when more and more people come to know about its benefits and practicality.
    Mar 5, 2015. 02:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Comprehensive Look At Tesla's Home Batteries [View article]
    cparmerlee ...
    I thought that this was about back-up batteries ... and now you are suddenly talking about my car and how heavy it is and how I am not paying my "fair share". Sounds like you are trying to change the subject, to me. Or maybe you are just angry that you don't have a Tesla ... I don't know. In my personal opinion, though, I think that there should be a flat tax paid by everyone based on the mileage that they drive every year, just like income tax, but a "road tax" paid every year when you register your car ... and then we can do away with gasoline tax. This would be the solution to your concerns, I think ... then ALL people would pay the tax regardless of what kind of car that they drive.
    Mar 4, 2015. 12:28 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Comprehensive Look At Tesla's Home Batteries [View article]
    cparmerlee ...
    When you start talking about "freeloaders", of which you include me, I take exception to what you are saying! In the first place, what I have is a back-up battery that is used ONLY for emergencies which does not take me off of the main grid ... it is only when the main grid goes down that I in fact disconnect from that main grid and use my own power independently. I actually pay nothing to the power company - only the required taxes (which amounts to about $.50/month) - because I SELL my own excess solar-generated energy back to them at a much reduced rate from what I pay if and when I need to do that, such as during the evening hours when there is no sun.

Again, a back-up batter does not take the person off of the grid during normal times, so it has nothing to do with "paying our fair share" ... we just chose to buy solar panels and a back-up battery so that we can generate our own power when we need it. In this time of high electric rates we should have the choice of how we generate our electricity and how we spend our money here. The power companies all over the country are overburdened with having to generate so much electricity, so now they will at least have a bit of help here when we can sell our electricity back to them.
    Mar 2, 2015. 01:23 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Comprehensive Look At Tesla's Home Batteries [View article]
    Zelaza ... you are totally unaware of what this Tesla back-up battery is supposed to do! It is a "back-up" battery that can be used in case the major power company grid goes out - especially for extended periods of time - then there is still electricity to power the home and stay warm and comfortable and mobile (i.e., being able to maintain charge and drive my Tesla Model S). And for this purpose it has worked magnificently for me.

Now, as far as your calculations ... they are about as faulty as the individual who wrote the article, since you seem to be forgetting the fact that I have a large array of solar panels that will keep the battery charged throughout all of the daylight hours, so all I need the battery (by itself) for is during the evening hours, and I have had absolutely no problem here either. The monetary calculations are really superfluous, since once the major power grid goes out you really don't worry about what it costs to charge the car or keep the house running. And $3,000 is NOT a lot of money, anyway, to have this security for the 10-years that the battery is guaranteed for - and probably the battery will last a lot longer than that ... with no noise, no smell, no refilling of gas tanks, and no constant maintenance, which is messy in itself. As far as the distance that I can drive my car when charging on 120 volts ... if I charge only during the day (which is probably unnecessary to worry about) the charging may be slow, but eventually it would be fully charged. If a major catastrophe should happen where the power would go out for weeks, then I would have the ability to keep my car fully charged throughout the entire time and would still be able to drive mostly wherever I wanted within a radius of where I needed to go. Remember, if the power should go out like this in a major crisis, then most gas stations would be completely closed everywhere wherever there is no electricity ... thus, no gas ... thus, no driving your gasoline car!!! Please stop trying to make everything nickels and dimes ... what I am talking about here is far more important than that!
    Mar 1, 2015. 11:16 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Comprehensive Look At Tesla's Home Batteries [View article]
    Jolinar_cz ... when I received my battery, in 2014, it is true that at that time SolarCity was installing these early Tesla batteries (which at the time were larger than they are now, and used off-the-shelf electronics - now they are using Tesla electronics which are better and smaller than what I have) to a small, limited test group. But now, since the start of this year, or maybe even sooner, they began selling to anyone who was willing to install their SolarCity solar panels on their home, at least in the select states where SolarCity is doing business. As far as the $3,000 price tag ... I was told about this price from someone who was about to buy the combination solar panel/back-up battery combination from SolarCity after she had just had the conversation with a representative from SolarCity.
    Feb 28, 2015. 02:24 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Comprehensive Look At Tesla's Home Batteries [View article]
    I am one who ALREADY has a Tesla back-up batter for my solar panels ... and it was installed a full year ago! It is a 10 kWh battery, that uses only half of my solar panels, both of which by the way provides ALL of the necessary electricity that I need, and then some ... so some of what you have written in your article is very wrong.

As far as the battery itself ... I have had several power outages - some lasting as long as two days - and this 10 kWh Tesla battery each time has proven more than adequate for my needs - running my refrigerator, computer, central heater, lights ... and if I had needed it, would have also charged my Tesla Model S and other things in my home, while totally disconnected from the main Power Grid. And, remember, I am only using half of my solar panels to charge the battery - and they kept the Tesla battery charged throughout the entire time. I am exceptionally satisfied with this battery, inasmuch as it has kept me very comfortable when we were having some very cold, nearly freezing weather during the time when the main power went down.

Also, SolarCity has been selling these 10 kWh Tesla back-up batteries to anyone for several months now - even before Elon made his announcement - for $3,000, as long the person was also willing to install their solar panels at the same time. Again, your information is faulty.

Elon Musk knows what he is doing and I doubt very much that he will stumble with these back-up batteries any more than he has with Tesla or SpaceX. You underestimate what he is doing and I think that you have provided misleading information with your article which needs to be corrected. That is what I am trying to do with what I have said here.
    Feb 27, 2015. 03:02 PM | 42 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM To Deliver Inexpensive 200-Mile EV 2 Years Ahead Of Tesla [View article]
    All of GM's cars up to this point have either been hybrids or very limited range electrics, like the Spark ... which means that they also have VERY small batteries. We will see what happens when they try to expand into the fuller size large battery pack like Tesla has and see how they do.
    Feb 6, 2015. 03:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM To Deliver Inexpensive 200-Mile EV 2 Years Ahead Of Tesla [View article]
    Never mind the ignition switch ... what about their batteries? GM will probably not have the experience that Tesla has had with keeping batteries okay, and so it may well have fire problems with its batteries ... and if it doesn't happen in an accident (which it very well may!), then what about those batteries just catching fire by themselves???
    Feb 6, 2015. 11:17 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Own A Tesla Model S, Just Don't Dent It! [View article]
    Excellent article, Paulo ... I will keep what you say in mind when I drive my Model S and not scratch it anywhere, if I can help it! Of course, I already do that, since I have not had a scratch on it except for the wheel rims - something that you did NOT mention - the tires are so narrow that they don't extend out far enough to prevent scratches on the rims (normally the rubber tires take the brunt of any scrapes - but with the Tesla, the rims get it, with an ear-shattering sound, when it happens!) - and I have not fixed these since, as yet, they are only minor on two rims and are not bad enough to do anything about. But I have seen Teslas where the scrapes here are all around the tires, making them look terrible! Good article with very good points for Tesla to take note of when building their cars and working with repair shops.
    Dec 24, 2014. 11:08 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Model S P85D tests out as advertised [View news story]
    Happy birthday, from here too, Vico! I am a little the way that you are ... we don't have to prove anything, but sure can enjoy those little pleasures of life that we took for granted so long ago. Happy 81st, and enjoy today!
    Nov 5, 2014. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Model S P85D tests out as advertised [View news story]
    I don't think that you will buy the new "D" model, though ... right, Vico? I have one of those 2012 Signature model Tesla's, and I am more than satisfied ... and the 3.9 sec. 0-60 is more than fast enough for me, and in California (at least, for me) four wheel drive isn't exactly a necessity.
    Nov 3, 2014. 02:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Model S P85D tests out as advertised [View news story]
    The reason that this car is so important is that the Model S will continue to receive so much more publicity than it would had they only made it a four wheel drive model. So, Elon keeps right on making the headlines and getting all the publicity that he needs to bring Tesla into people's consciousness ... without any advertising at all!
    Nov 3, 2014. 02:15 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors calls out Michigan politicians [View news story]
    Free Enterprise at its best! Or, I guess that I should say that it makes a mockery of free enterprise! It should be thrown out of any court in the land since it prevents interstate commerce and unless I am mistaken that goes directly against what the U.S. Constitution says.
    Oct 17, 2014. 11:08 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is Something In The 'D' Which Might Prompt Direct Competition [View article]
    Great article, Paulo ... like to see your ideas here. But the question is ... will the competition give up at this point, thinking that they can no longer compete because Tesla is so far ahead of them and they can never catch up (that is, unless they can come up with a better battery system ...)?
    Oct 10, 2014. 04:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla's China Dreams May Be In Trouble [View article]
    I would add to what you say, Peter, by saying that it has not been a year since Tesla has been delivering its cars in China ... but only about six months. The author's comment that "... Tesla is already operating in China for a year now ..." is trying to turn one set of facts into another. Yes, Tesla has been in China for about a year while it set up its first store in Beijing (which opened November 4, 2014) and busy setting trademark disputes (which was just settled about two weeks ago, on August 5th)... but this is not the same as actually delivering and selling its cars. You can't really count cars until they begin to be delivered, which was on February 28, 2014.
    Aug 17, 2014. 11:51 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment