Charles Margolis

View Charles Margolis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    Sorry Paulo, really busy morning -- possibly I could have phrased this better -- I presume you are busy too.

I'm saying imagine Bezos ran Google -- with the same amount of revenue -- he'd go through cash faster -- I believe he'd have his sight set on growing even faster than Google has (and of course per the market cap chart in this article, readers see Google has skyrocketed.) I just see Google sitting on cash (which I do like, somewhat) and I see Bezos spending, to fulfill the company's ambitions. Hope you have a nice day.

(You see, I'm saying if Bezos ran Google, that company's financials would, perhaps, not appear as strong.)
    Jan 23, 2014. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Girash,

I mentioned profitability a couple times in the article. Look, imagine Bezos ran a company like Google. Instead of cash, sitting around, he would spend it faster -- perhaps. He'd possibly do more, however the financials would not appear as strong.

That example is interesting, keep it in mind. This is why, I believe it is important to use 'your formulas', use 'your criteria' however, be objective in some cases (emphasis on 'some') -- to be able to judge the company on performance. Just my opinion. Amazon could have, at one point, worked harder on making their finances look better, and been less ambitious - I believe the executives have chose to be more ambitious, again, just my opinion.
    Jan 23, 2014. 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    re: "Why would I buy on AMZN if Best Buy can match or beat.."

Well, what if you're one of the many people who do not live in proximity to a Best Buy?

I have been to Best Buy, I see they are working on beating competitors' prices.

I've spent a great deal of time considering many of the points raised here. I do have an opinion on the metrics you are speaking to.

I disagree though, the Ace up their sleeve and the skill of their executives has proven very valuable, so far. Thanks for adding to the conversation again.
    Jan 22, 2014. 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    "...so both will most likely thrive"

I agree with your bullish sentiment on Amazon.

I understand your perspective, based on your statements. Well, of course you "consult for Google," your "researching for (your) next paper (you) need to send out."

You are presenting your points as if you have definitive knowledge of what is completely right. I'm saying, those who have bet against Amazon, in the past, have done poorly.

I also realize you are saying: "And there are a handful of authors here on SA that actually write without any bias, with an objective mindset..." since you believe this is a way to insult me. It does not. It does make me wish there was a more effective way to try, for the dozenth time to say -- look at this objectively, my friend.

You've praised Google and loathed Amazon -- they are both great companies. They both have faults, also. This is my opinion, to take both sides and look for the strengths. When I am bullish on a company, I think it is definitely undervalued -- when I'm objective, I believe there is a range, and it could be either over - or undervalued. I do believe it is possible for Amazon to grow further - it is also possible for the economy or the company to encounter hurdles. Have a nice day.
    Jan 22, 2014. 08:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: At Least 10% Downside To Fair Value [View article]
    Net income went up 6%, I view this is a good thing. I don't go with the "This valuation is awfully rich" given IBM's low P/E. After-hours trading, on IBM really was not so bad, down to $181.90 or so, ended after-hours at $183.55 -- having been down to $172.80 or so late last year.

I believe this is just another drop in the bucket, the company will continue to rake in billions in pure profit each quarter. Just increased it 6% this quarter, though revenue dropped, pretty much as expected. Not sure why Apple and IBM attract so many negative opinions, while they generate billions in profit -- and hand that profit back to investors.
    Jan 22, 2014. 12:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    Well, one thing you can do, is make that movie I pointed out, in the comments to you -- available on Amazon streaming video. So customers can see how cool Google is. I actually rented that movie, then bought it. You see, I gave Amazon $20, to show me how cool Google is. I appreciate both companies.
    Jan 21, 2014. 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    hahaha, that's a good one.

I know I said it before, and I will again, look objectively. Both have proven themselves -- I believe the Netflix executives have made some missteps, however, they clearly know how to rebound.
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    Now here you have brought up an interesting point. Though, again I say look at it objectively. There is absolutely no reason to believe Google customers are better or stronger -- because, you are not factoring in those who are both Google, and Amazon customers. If customers really only used the one service, that would be different.
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    What price cuts are your alluding to?
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    It just depends on your view duncnguyen. The services that work, thrive; the ones that do not, can not.
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ducnguyen,

Investing and business doesn't work like that. Business is judged, in part, on quality of service.
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    $vix,

The historically low interest rates was great incentive to issue debt. I often review Amazon's bonds, while searching the bond market. I've yet to get them, because I've gone with Apple's, first. I also look at eBay bonds, WMT bonds, and so on.

Thus far, the executives at Amazon have proven to be mavericks. It is not to say they won't encounter some sort of more difficult situation - or they will never lose, just saying, so far I would say they have an Ace up their sleeve.
    Jan 21, 2014. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jeffry,

Thank you for adding to the discussion, I see that link has not imported correctly, I was not sure which Bloomberg interview you were pointing to, though, this article appears to explore that interview:

Jan 21, 2014. 09:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ducnguyenphotography,

You still seem to be stuck on one side. I see you are pro-Google and believe Amazon is weaker. You point to AWS, one branch of Amazon -- there is some speculation on AWS. Google offers some platforms, and Amazon offers some platforms, and there is great competition. You seem to be saying Amazon is going to lose, one reason is because of Google's amount of cash. I thought about this, and I can understand Amazon's reason for operating the way they do, based on their results; including Amazon.com and AWS. While you're saying AWS is losing, has lost, will lose, the fact remains AWS is operating, is successful to a degree, and appears to have long-term staying power (per the perceived winning competition against IBM's business, for example.) Regards
    Jan 21, 2014. 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day Of Amazon Is Here [View article]
    Can you provide a source? When you Google: "AWS profit" there a few articles on this subject, that I looked to when responding to your comment.
    Jan 21, 2014. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment