Charles Margolis

View Charles Margolis' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • It May Be Apple Harvest Time [View article]
    An investor not owning Apple, I understand -- however shorting it during a massive, massive buyback, I do not understand...
    Sep 25 10:41 AM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Don't Be Afraid To Short [View article]
    Apple has become the most valuable company in the world without Africa -- so some growth there would be nice, however it does not rise to 'dilemma' in my opinion.

You have to realize Africa is working on having internet access for everyone still. The nation is also still working to get electric, or some type of power to everyone. This is why Obama wants to invest $7B to bring electricity to Africa: http://wapo.st/1cnoXgQ

Apple needs customers who have access to electricity and the internet. So, when Africa is equipped, I believe they will follow other consumers, and go for the strongest product. If Apple continues to be it, they will buy their products, I believe.
    Oct 7 10:05 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taxing The Wealthy And The Selling Of Muni Bond ETFs [View article]
    What in the world are you talking about La Marque?

The author is just stating facts... I have heard talk about this and am very glad there is an article covering this monumentally important subject... the article appears to be completely objective...

Just makes no sense to claim there is an insertion of partisan politics.... in my opinion.

Taxing muni's makes no sense in my opinion, because the current system encourages investors to put their money, into state and local projects. It is highly probable people will divert assets to tax shelters... if that means liquidating it for four years, etc... instead the admin should just continue with the BAB class QSCB class and newer muni bonds that have different tax situation.. not blanket tax muni bonds that have been tax exempt for over half a century.
    Dec 14 07:37 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dear Warren, About IBM... [View article]
    re: "it's hard to imagine how IBM can thrive in the new environment."

Hard to imagine how IBM can thrive?

Average net income of $4B each of the last 4 quarters... I think IBM is doing OK.
    Nov 29 05:43 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: A Sleeping Giant Poised To Double [View article]
    With $400+ billion in debt and around $80 billion in cash equivalents, surely anything is possible...

GE already has performed well, to say that it is poised to double, seems overly optimistic... unless you believe the Dow is going to 15,000+ ... in my opinion.
    Dec 12 10:53 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Vindicated, Very Competitive With Apple's A7 [View article]
    re: "I own shares of Intel and have no position in Apple, but do have a deep respect for both companies"

Your Apple coverage has been all over the place. One month you said it was attractive, two months later you said it was time to move on, and wouldn't go back over $500 based on the largest share buyback in all of history.

Apple has outperformed Intel in so many different ways over the past several years, it's hard to figure out where to begin. If the finances didn't speak for themselves. In the past three years Apple made $103B net income, to Intel's $35B.

Yet so many people try to take Apple down, saying their favorite company is really, truly better. Apple did not blame Intel for anything, that I know of, therefore I'm not sure what it was vindicated from -- other than being a very average holding for the past 10+ years while other stocks have made leaps and bounds around it.

I agree it is valuable, though I'm not sure you do respect Apple. Yes, I realize you wrote you got an iPhone, if I'm not mistaken, so maybe you've warmed to the company. Ahh, yes here it is:

"Long Term: Probably Dead Money From Here"

I just couldn't believe someone who thinks they understand technology companies would say that. With the dividend and the massive buyback.... "dead money" ?

Even if it had gone down to $300, it still wouldn't have been "dead money" with that dividend, and the popularity. It's just clear that you understand that the other companies make their living, copying Apple's products -- now what Apple does with their chips, surely you understand, better than many -- however, it does not appear you really deeply respect Apple, based on all of the other articles. My opinion, not having exposure to the company is a mistake, though you have to pick a good entry point.
    Nov 19 06:05 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Reasons Why You Can Beat The Professional Investors [View article]
    I disagree, strong mutual funds are good additions to stock portfolios. They add diversification, and can add balance, in my opinion. Several mutual funds have performed better than individual, quality, dividend paying stocks, over time... (I'm thinking over the past couple years, though it is true for long-term also.)

A few 4 & 5 star Morningstar rated mutual funds aren't so bad, just my opinion. I see Tim's point about pressure from holders selling, causing managers to sell. Though, the nice thing about having a few good ones, is if they close to new investors, you are in. Additionally there are investments worth having exposure to, that you might not go into directly... for me, companies like Chevron are prime examples... good company, worth owning, too expensive... so I'll tap it with a couple mutual funds that hold it...
    Mar 22 06:40 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why We Won't Mint A Platinum Coin [View article]
    If they do mint a trillion dollar coin, hopefully no one loses it.
    Jan 7 05:40 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investing Is Not Only About The Dividend [View article]
    Ok, I will say it.

STB is not a good stock. You should not own it. Its financials are weak. Its dividend is unsustainable.

The business is dependent on one service and is not diversified enough.

You should only use speculative investment dollars for this company and if your portfolio is small you should not consider this company at all, in favor of more secure investments.

You write, "...it IS an attack on each person who holds or recommends that stock." That is absolutely ridiculous.
    Jul 30 08:23 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In The Words Of Joseph Granville, 'Sell All Stocks.' Well, Almost All [View article]
    What's the point of evoking Joseph Granville who used to dress up like biblical figures and claim he could predict the future. Only to be wrong, time and time again...

You're right, he said "sell all stocks" right before the market went up 500%.

Joseph Granville is dead, he's gone, he was wrong, he lost people money.

The market is high, it could go down, however, the "logic" (or nonsense) used by Joseph Granville is absolutely the worst sort of advice an investor could follow.
    Nov 16 10:33 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Economy: Why The Looming Fiscal Cliff Matters [View article]
    Both sides of the argument are ridiculous in my opinion.

Congress has steered us to this cliff. Obama is putting his foot on the accelerator.

Obama keeps saying, "the rich have to pay their fair share," however his cuts only bring in 40 some billion extra dollars. While he is spending a few trillion dollars.

While the US has the ability to be run efficiently and make both sides happy (not the extremists, but the cores.) However it boils down to the fact that the Tea Party simply does not want Obama to be president (though they get up and lie and say they were just as adamant during the Bush era.)

Demanding a few extra dollars from the rich is the wrong approach. However it'd be a cold day in Honolulu before the Obama admin would tackle GE, Goldman and JP Morgan (what was the b.s. Obama sticking up for Jaimie Dimon right after they flushed billions down the toilet.)

Though I'd like to see Warren Buffett in the White House (Obama constantly tells audiences 'you're no Warren Buffett, brought in his grandson to intern, etc. etc.) I think fighting so bitterly over raising taxes is not right. When the real issue is the government is run so inefficiently. If Warren Buffett saw how terribly the taxes are actually applied he might change his tune. However I'm guessing Berkshire and he have a lot in Treasuries and want to see those paid (ie: presumably they're still getting 8% from their old investments in Treasuries... so the tax payers are paying Berkshire to tell the government to tax everyone to pay them more.)
    May 20 10:59 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dear Warren, About IBM... [View article]
    IBM has this study on its website for Watson:

(on right hand side of page, PDF link "2 page case study on Memorial Sloan Kettering...)

"Memorial Sloan-Kettering... IBM Watson helps fight cancer with evidence-based diagnosis and treatment suggestions..."

"Watson's capability to analyze huge volumes of data and reduce it down to critical decision points is absolutely essential to improve our ability to deliver effective therapies and disseminate them to the world" C.Thompson, CEO Sloan-Kettering

For some reason I'll take Dr. Thompson's word over Deja Vu's -- as Deja Vu has not bothered to provide any sort of example of "unqualified failure." Oh I mean other than just saying "based on the very best sources" which we have absolutely no way of verifying.
    Nov 30 07:56 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: The Worst Downgrade I've Ever Seen [View article]
    Interesting, only recently it appears MKM reaffirmed a 'buy'

Odd though, that analyst appears to have worked for Intel...?

"...and as a Senior Financial Analyst in Intel’s Technology Development Group"

She's probably outstanding as an employee, though MKM should not have former Intel employees making recommendations, nor say 'buy' one month then downgrade very soon after. Just my opinion, long Intel myself, though I think it's a 'hold' also, like MKM just said, so I basically agree.
    Nov 12 10:34 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Structural Change In The Mobile Processor Marketplace: Intel Wins; ARM, AMD Lose [View article]
    Though you could have a point, your comment itself is far more representative of the qualities you are applying to the article's perspective.
    May 20 11:55 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Excessive Speculation In Apple Call Options? [View article]
    "Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more."

Great article by the way, nice to read about current relevant trends.
    Aug 17 07:11 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment