Charles Santerre

View Charles Santerre's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Questions The Nokia Board Of Directors Need To Answer [View article]
    To all those that claim D&S was sold for a song, please present your calculations. What would be a fair price and why? And please don't say, "well Xianomi is valued at $10B!" So what?! Since when are you evaluation specialists?!

Just because other cos were bought for ridiculously high prices in the past, calculations are impacted by a number of factors. Skype, Navteq and the Xianomi valuations, how pertinent are they? Perhaps X is valued higher for reasons readers here are unaware?
    Sep 7, 2013. 01:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions The Nokia Board Of Directors Need To Answer [View article]
    On the defensive, Microsoft's hand was forced in Nokia deal
    No choice but to rescue Finnish phone maker, or see Windows Phone homeless
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Nokia Into The Microsoft Announcement [View article]
    Solucky, others will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe Google Maps is free for commercial users such as automotive industry.
    Sep 7, 2013. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions The Nokia Board Of Directors Need To Answer [View article]
    I understand opposition to this deal. I am very disappointed that Nokia will not give me the astronomical returns I was dreaming about. But I will not oppose the deal for 2 reasons:

1. voting no risks crashing the price to pre-announcement prices. I don't want to risk my gain, after holding this stock in the red for 3 years.

2. This deal is not the result of just 2 people negotiating secretly. The BODs of both companies were involved as were many other advisors. If the deal falls through it is the equivalent of forcing your wife not to leave you. Sure you get to keep her for the time being, but do you think she really wants to be there and will do efforts for the relationship to get stronger and more"prosperous?" Let's say the deal falls through, then what? Unknown territory is where you are. You now have a lame duck BOD that has had its decision revoked. If the sh!t hits the fan, I don't want to be holding the bag.

My advice: find another investment and leave the elected decision makers at Nokia do their jobs on focusing on the future business. There has been enough disruption. Don't forget all the livelihoods at stake here.
    Sep 7, 2013. 08:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions The Nokia Board Of Directors Need To Answer [View article]
    Abu: pretend you are Balmer for one minute. Nokia tries to use its leverage to get a better price. Balmer says: ok that agreement we have for you re the royalties and platform payments, well at its expiry the platform payments expire and your royalty payments double or triple. Sure that would hurt both MSFT and NOK. But in your view who has the stronger financial kidneys to take the hit? Exactly.

MSFT could bury NOK if it had wanted simply because it has more cash. Nokia's perceived leverage is like a small person threatening to tickle a giant with a feather to kill him. MSFT could have created its own phone, said to HTC: OK you are getting WP8 for free exclusively for the next 5 years.

BTW, you have excellent questions. I think some of the answers will be coming with time. Others we'll never likely know.
    Sep 6, 2013. 11:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions The Nokia Board Of Directors Need To Answer [View article]
    mr w: Wow! That's a great conspiracy theory, but it makes some business sense if you believe that kind of thing. Whether MSFT buys out or buys in, WP8 is still a small part of the smartphone pie. MSFT could have helped NOK financially to do the same as what they are doing now. So if Apple and Google buy shares, all they could hope to accomplish is reduce the speed of adoption of WP8 as the very most, but it would not change much in the long term for MSFT. In fact, all they would be doing is helping out NOK shareholders who have enough stomach to stay long.
    Sep 6, 2013. 11:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forum On The New Nokia - The Future [View instapost]
    A couple of interesting articles on the new Nokia:

Nokia Without Handsets Follows Ericsson in Networks Focus:

Nokia follows path set by Swedish rival:
    Sep 6, 2013. 10:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Nokia Emerges [View article]
    gwyn: if MSFT had a crystal ball they could make a fortune with feature phones. Trouble is they can`t predict how much $ to spend in feature phone R&D and production to sell just the right amount, while some are buying ultra cheap smartphones.
    Sep 6, 2013. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forum On The New Nokia - The Future [View instapost]
    Seppo, I hope you will continue to keep us updated re the melting short portion :-)

Also an idea for your consideration, in wanting to keep the blog "clean and simple" I wonder if you would mind integrating in the body of the blog a current tab on important debt upgrades, then just posting a comment to say an update's been made. I don't expect it and don't want to add anything on your shoulders, but I'm sure everyone would appreciate and benefit from it. I would be willing, and sure others would be as well, to message you the info for you to add. I just think if important updates are put in the blog itself instead of the comments, it's easier to follow.
    Sep 5, 2013. 06:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Nokia Emerges [View article]
    Toastypro, new Nokia longs need knowledgeable people re mobile networking business. If you can help by all means head on over to Seppo2s new blog in SA. THANK YOU
    Sep 5, 2013. 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Nokia Emerges [View article]
    gwynfryn! Where have you been? I can't remember exactly if it was you that kept saying D&S division only would be sold to MSFT. You pushed that idea quite persistently and you were right! So, excuse my skepticism, but how in the h did you know?! I hope you made some cash!
    Sep 5, 2013. 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Nokia Emerges [View article]
    ggreenjob, can you elaborate on the legal question. Apple was flush with cash for years before it ever returned a penny to its legal owners. I'm just thinking that we won't get the full $2 per share returned to us in a dividend, how sweet that would be.
    Sep 5, 2013. 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forum On The New Nokia - The Future [View instapost]
    Great idea! Thanks Seppo ;-)
    Sep 5, 2013. 11:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forum On Nokia, Covering NSN, HERE, IP, And General Discussion. [View instapost]
    Abu: Seppo will answer I'm sure, but my take is: when negotiating you are always 2 parties (or more). Nokia can`t call all the shots. As Seppo alluded, Nokia took the right decision. And for all we know, Nokia longs dodged a bullet. We could have lost everything.
    Sep 5, 2013. 09:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Nokia Into The Microsoft Announcement [View article]
    Chandan, what years were you at ALU and in what capacity, what responsibilities? Thank you. That will help us qualify your comments on the future of NSN.
    Sep 4, 2013. 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment