Charlie Anderson

View Charlie Anderson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Life Partner Holdings: Nothing More Than a Scam? [View article]
    What I tried to do in writing this article was expose what I thought was the root of the problem: the management. I read the WSJ article, and it was very interesting. I didn't feel the need to reiterate that flaw in LPHI's business model; it would just be beating a dead horse. In my mind, the reason there is this flaw is because Brian Pardo isn't ethical. And yes, while I agree that LPHI isn't necessarily a full-out scam, I think the way they run their business is unethical.

About shorting LPHI, I put the $22 estimate out because of technicals. I think that, for the most part, there is some flaw in not putting your money where your mouth is. At around $22 per share, Life Partners would probably offer a good [technical] shorting opportunity.
    Jan 5, 2011. 05:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GMX Resources Set to Profit From Natural Gas Rebound [View article]
    Yeah! Great to watch. Something I did note, however, was that it pulled back to what seems to be a line of tops [9-30-10, 11-10-10, 12-13-10, today]
    Jan 3, 2011. 04:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GMX Resources Set to Profit From Natural Gas Rebound [View article]
    Good Point!
    Jan 2, 2011. 10:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Short Trade Ideas for 2011: Weaklings Lagging the Current Rally [View article]
    Onemonzas: I agree with your bullishness on geothermal

As to Bank of America, shorting it right now is a poor choice. Despite serious problems, Bank of America is very very cheap technically and fundamentally. Shorting any company this cheap is ill-advised.
    Jan 2, 2011. 07:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pay Attention to Price of Coffee [View article]
    In his book The Undercover Economist Tim Harford outlined the very simple reason that coffee prices have always collapsed: Coffee can be grown around the globe. Of course, this is a very long-term outlook. Coffee prices could continue to skyrocket as long as demand from new markets keeps going alongside bad harvests. Eventually though, supply will pick up and out pace demand.
    Jan 2, 2011. 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GMX Resources Set to Profit From Natural Gas Rebound [View article]
    That's very interesting. Do you know which companies are or are planning to build these plants?
    Jan 2, 2011. 03:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Oil and Gas Are Telling Us Now [View article]
    How are the big oil companies shorting the price of natural gas?
    I don't doubt that they are, but do you have any sources or specific companies?
    Jan 2, 2011. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Defense Contractors: The Best Deal Around? [View article]
    I won't pretend to know. I have no idea, but I do know that as of June, the F-35 program was the Pentagon's most expensive weapons program.
    Dec 23, 2010. 08:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Defense Contractors: The Best Deal Around? [View article]
    For the most part I agree with a. palmer jr. that our government won't know where to cut and that we could be as effective with less spending, but programs like the F-35 jets are an obvious area of overspending. These cuts are something that aren't within the control of the company or the investor, and present a serious risk.
    Dec 23, 2010. 11:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Defense Contractors: The Best Deal Around? [View article]
    Tom: agreed. Personally, I have no idea when the government is going to start making cuts, and I don't want to be there when they do. If you can stomach the risk though, there's some great value.
    Dec 22, 2010. 11:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Natural Gas Buyout Candidates With Attractive Valuations [View article]
    I bought GMXR, and the possibility of a buyout would be great. What do you think the likelihood is that a deal will actually go through? a $700 million buyout would include $190 million worth of GMXR's long-term debt. Also, is this industry undergoing consolidation? It would make sense that GMXR's assets and long-term leases would make it an attractive buyout candidate, but what indication is there that any of these companies are looking to buy?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    Dec 10, 2010. 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Navigant Consulting: Charting a Path to a Higher Share Price [View article]
    I looked into FTI and found that it was much more expensive, but in looking for competitors that could push NCI off the map, price wasn't an issue.
    What is the implication of these management decisions?
    Dec 9, 2010. 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Navigant Consulting: Charting a Path to a Higher Share Price [View article]
    I'm looking into buying NCI under the investment outlook of what Graham called "intelligent speculation." It is technically very cheap on a longer-term outlook and it has solid financials. My one concern is that FTI Consulting is the titan in the field and that it is in a better competitive position than NCI. What are your thoughts?
    Dec 5, 2010. 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GMX Resources: Ideally Positioned in Horizontal Drilling Sweet Spot for Natural Gas Bulls [View article]
    The case for it has a couple elements.
    1. A breakout a couple weeks ago on very high volume.
    2. Seasonally higher demand for natural gas, which would result in higher prices.
    3. The same as any other value investment: once it's "discovered" the discrepancy between the actual value and the current value is corrected, resulting in a rising share price.
    Nov 14, 2010. 01:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    From a value standpoint GMX Resources is a great play. The P/B of 0.6 and the Forward P/E of 6.9 say it's cheap. The technical analysis also supports this. Longer term, natural gas seems like a good play. In the short term, GMX Resources seems very cheap.
    Nov 7, 2010. 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment