Cheryl Swanson

View Cheryl Swanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Qualcomm: A Huge New Frontier Makes It A Shrewd Buy [View article]
    Thanks, Jim, for your eagle eyes. Should have been billion. I lived in a sleepy little town called San Diego when QCOM's first product came out, those big bubbles that sit on trucks and are used for tracking. I'd have to look back...prob. twenty years would have been more accurate.
    Mar 15 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: A Huge New Frontier Makes It A Shrewd Buy [View article]
    Michael, Your comments always give me a chuckle. I love your sense of humor. I needed that heart monitor yesterday, when my 11-year-old daughter jumped off Shipwreck's, a thirty-five foot sea cliff in Kauai that Justin Bieber finally got the guts to jump once, so he could be filmed for his fans. My money is firmly on Qualcomm, the push-and-pull with top analysts/authors like you will make it interesting.
    Mar 15 04:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: A Huge New Frontier Makes It A Shrewd Buy [View article]
    Thanks for the recommendation, David. I just put it on my Kindle.
    Mar 15 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: A Huge New Frontier Makes It A Shrewd Buy [View article]
    When you're not sure, keep your wallet in your pocket. That's my rule-of-thumb. Qualcomm is a good stock to add to your watch list...it's not going to be up, up and away like a biotech.
    Mar 15 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: A Huge New Frontier Makes It A Shrewd Buy [View article]
    Love that song! I once heard "The Boss" used to take his pay and distribute it evenly to his band. Thanks for the comment and link, Take Five.
    Mar 15 04:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wearable Tech: Forget Google And Apple, Think Different (Part II) [View article]
    Logitech has plenty of rumors swirling around it right now (both positive and negative). I like the company in general, but haven't been able to find anything that justifies buying right now. (Let readers know if you see a trigger and feel like responding. In terms of HIMAX, obv. a great play in wearables space, but gains seem baked in already--at least for now.
    Feb 19 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wearable Tech: Forget Google And Apple, Think Different (Part I) [View article]
    I like Angela Ahrendts, I thinks she was a very smart hire for Apple, in reference to your comment, pk de cville. Apple's retail business badly needs her merchandising acumen, as they've plateaued. (Apple's per-store numbers were flat in fiscal 2013.) Thanks for all your other thoughts--Apple could bust things open, they've got a fabulous track record. One thing that always lingers in the background is whether Apple can keep creating markets-altering products w/o Jobs. That is the big question.

Point about Switzerland in the comment is a good one, in reference to other comment, if you see a watch as a piece of technology. But there is a very large segment of the world who sees a watch as a fashion issue, not a piece of technology. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Feb 19 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Berkshire Pick DaVita HealthCare The Perfect Wave? [View article]
    Dear Wall Street Teacher,

CRMD sounds intriguing...My take on DaVita in Asia/EU is that it's going to be a rocky road. Health care is so radically different in each country, depending on the culture, belief system, politics, etc. I can't imagine DVA's management getting their heads around it successfully. By the way I like your moniker. "Teacher" is what is needed.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheryl Swanson
    Jan 21 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Berkshire Pick DaVita HealthCare The Perfect Wave? [View article]
    Great points about Buffet and how he handles his lieutenants. Thanks for pointing them out. With all the issues about concussions and football, don't think you could sell a helmet company to anyone with a working brain. DaVinci...another story entirely.
    Dec 22 10:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Berkshire Pick DaVita HealthCare The Perfect Wave? [View article]
    Thanks for the careful reading...I'm sure you're correct, but let me go back and check. I did note the deal signed not to go past 25%, left it out because I believe it was only w/o agreement from both sides...seems likely that won't be a stopper.I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Berkshire buy DaVita--depending on the price--Buffet of course likes great bargains, so Ted will have to twist his arm. Interestingly, Weschler helped orchestrate the purchase of a dialysis firm when he worked for W.R. Grace, in the 80s. Don't know if he's a do-over kind of guy, but he knows this industry..
    Dec 22 10:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Berkshire Pick DaVita HealthCare The Perfect Wave? [View article]
    Good point. Thanks, rcpatrick5443.
    Dec 22 10:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • As Obamacare Rolls Out, UnitedHealth Rolls Over The Competition [View article]
    Thanks...I understand your confusion. I don't know what's up most journalists writing about ACA in the public media. They don't seem to get Obamacare at all. It occurred to me last night that they've probably never purchased health insurance either for themselves or for their small business, but have always depended on employee coverage.

Or maybe they've never been really sick? Either way, it's an unknown world to them.
    Dec 5 01:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you, vireoman, for your kind comment.

I realize the health care insurers are not "sexy," but people have done very well in this space. Sounds like you are one of them--WLP has done exceedingly well this year for a supposedly boring stock. Wish I'd had the insight to buy it a year ago.
    Dec 5 01:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes dwdallam, thanks for pointing that out. I've seen the articles on that, so I suppose we will need to overpay our taxes this year. The premiums (for those w/o subsidies) are very painful. The deductibles are crazy--at least in Hawaii, where I live.
    Dec 5 01:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could The Grinch Steal Apple's Christmas? [View article]
    Hmm...I fall asleep at night with my ten-inch iPad--so guess I should know they have one. Sorry I wasn't clear.
    Dec 5 12:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment