Chowder

View Chowder's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, AFL, APD, ARCP, ARLP, AT, BDT, BF.B, BMO, BP, BRK.A, BRK.B, C, CBRL, CINF, CL, COP, CTL, CVX, D, DE, DIA, DRI, ED, ENB, EPD, EXC, FSP, FTR, GD, GE, GILD, GIS, GPC, HCBK, HCN, HGIC, IBM, INTC, JNJ, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KRFT, LEG, LINE, LNCO, LO, MAA, MCD, MDLZ, MDT, MHR, MKC, MMM, MMP, MO, NFLX, NHI, NLY, NNN, O, OHI, PBI, PEP, PG, PM, PNY, PSX, RIG, RY, SBSI, SDRL, SDY, SNY, SO, SPY, SYY, T, TE, TGT, TIP, TOT, TUP, UHT, UNP, UNS, UTX, VIG, VVC, VZ, WAG, WEC, WM, WMT, WU, XLU, XOM
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    Mike Nadel will be out next week with a list of companies people think should be bought now. I sent him my suggestions and I will let him share them.
    May 22, 2015. 11:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    The nicest thing about about dividend growth investing is that even if you fail beating the market with the strategy, you can still have more income coming in via dividends than are outgoing expenses, if you focus on growing the income stream.

One can't say the same thing about funds or growth stocks. You need favorable conditions and favorable results to succeed. ... Heh, heh.
    May 22, 2015. 08:55 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    These critics never want to tell us what they own. varan, the ultimate supreme of back testing and telling us what would have done better, and where a top secret security clearance is required to find out where he puts his money, I find a link today where he finally admitted to buying something back in Sept 2014, ILF. Annualized gains? Minus 34% in a raging bull market, and he wants to tell us how to invest? He should have just gone with an index fund. ... Ha!
    May 22, 2015. 06:17 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    I still get that feeling when I walk up the ramp and see the field at Fenway Park, and I've been doing that for decades. The feeling is still there.
    May 22, 2015. 05:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    Gotta love these back testing folks. They are experts at telling you where you should have put your money years ago, then when you find out what they own, absolutely hilarious.
    May 22, 2015. 05:47 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These 32 Dividend Champions Are Fairly Valued [View article]
    Dead money is good money if one is in the accumulation phase and reinvesting dividends.
    May 22, 2015. 05:38 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Yeah, I was talking Premier League only. It's quite impressive when you think of how many teams these European cities support. It blows me away.

I think Sunderland is safe. I've been rooting for them harder than my Gunners. Vito Mannone plays for Sunderland and he's my man. He's not starting unfortunately, but I want him to stay up in Premier. I hope he gets another chance to redeem himself. When his confidence level is up, he's on it babee.

Maybe he needs a motivation coach. I'd accept that position. ... Ha!
    May 22, 2015. 05:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors: When Dividend Growth Slows What Should You Do? [View article]
    Pressure babee! When you feel it, you know you're alive.
    May 22, 2015. 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    >>> In general I agree, YOC is not a final metric, just something to consider. <<<

Perhaps something to shoot for, and more importantly, continue to see that it continues to rise.

Most who hate using YOC see it as backward analysis. That's cool, but if it continues to do well, what's the harm?

When one finally approaches the point where they are receiving more in dividends than they invested in the company, it's all irrelevant anyway, but the experience is delightful and nobody who used YOC is going to complain, and neither is anyone who didn't use it.
    May 22, 2015. 03:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Chowder [View article]
    I placed some crates full of LP's out for disposal and some of them had never been played or even had the plastic removed. I was tired of having them in my way.

I looked out the window 10 minutes later, and they were gone. I made somebody happy!

I don't sell anything. I give it away. I put stuff out front all the time with a "free" sign on it and it's gone, history! A regular Santa Claus I am! ... Ha!
    May 22, 2015. 03:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    If I were in Barcelona, I would have done whatever I could to go watch a game. Although I hate Barcelona, I would not let the natives know that. I would be quiet. ... Ha!

I booked a trip to London for September and I hope to be able to take in a football game while there, soccer to you sports heathens. Although I'm an Arsenal fan, if they aren't in town, London has 5 other major league teams, so I might get to see a game somewhere.

Think about that! Six major teams in one city, fully supported. New York has two football teams but don't play in New York. I guess nobody wants to claim New Jersey as home.

Chicago has two baseball teams, but they can't fill the stands.

London has 6 teams and they sell em out babee! I get goose bumps just thinking about it!
    May 22, 2015. 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warning: Don't Let Market Hype Cause You To Miss This Total Return Opportunity [View article]
    Thank you for sharing that blog and link. According to the comment that popped up, varan said he was buying ILF based on his back testing model. In his own words!

varan
    Comments (4328)| + Follow | Send Message
    Author’s reply » Thanks.

I will leave that subjective judgment to anyone who wants to actually implement it.

I would just like to follow this for a while, unadorned by any subjective criteria, to see how it works out.

Given that reservation, I am going to buy ILF tomorrow, solely on the basis of this ranking.

----------------

That was Sept 2, 2014 when the purchase was made.

Performance? Minus 34.14% annualized. Now I know why varan won't tell us what he owns. ... Ha! Ha!
    May 22, 2015. 03:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David, when you get that article written, please come back here and post the link. I don't want to risk not seeing it. I'd like to see how you go about researching and buying preferred's.

Get your questions in now folks before he gets it written. ... Ha!
    May 22, 2015. 01:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    >>> I wasn't suggesting to be fearful of a correction. <<<

Yes sir, I didn't think you were. I was suggesting to others that if you buy quality and own the leaders in their industry, one doesn't need to be as fearful of a market correction, one can take solace in the idea that any downside will be temporary in nature.

Following every market correction, comes the flight to quality. That's what I own, that quality.
    May 22, 2015. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    >>> Some sort of valuation method is necessary to determine if the stock is fairly valued. 90% of investors can't value a stock so they should not attempt it but for those that can they should invest accordingly. <<<

I agree with this statement. I use a valuation method to determine what to buy or wait on, but I don't know how to value a company personally. So, I use multiple sources to aid me in determining valuations.

I look to Morningstar, S&P Capital IQ and Value Line, and I look for consensus among the group of them. They don't have to agree on what percentage under fair value a company is selling at, they just need to agree that it is.

If one says a company is overvalued and the other says they are undervalued, I may try to determine why by reading the reports, but most often I will simply ignore the company until they all agree.

The times that I do try to see why they disagree, I find that one firm is rating them based on the fact that the company always sells at a premium. KO and CL would be a good example there, where the other firm may be rating them on more conventional metrics.

Most of the time, common sense will help determine what is reasonable once all the reports are read and you see what multiples are being assigned to a company.

I do not pay attention to a firm's buy, sell or hold ratings. It's only how they value a company that is of interest to me.
    May 22, 2015. 12:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment