Chowder

View chowder's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, AFL, APD, ARLP, AT, BDT, BF.B, BMO, BP, BRK.A, BRK.B, C, CBRL, CINF, CL, COP, CTL, CVX, D, DE, DRI, ENB, EPD, EXC, FSP, FTR, GD, GE, GILD, GIS, GPC, HCBK, HCN, HGIC, IBM, INTC, JNJ, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KRFT, LEG, LINE, LNCO, LO, MAA, MCD, MDLZ, MDT, MHR, MKC, MMP, MO, NFLX, NHI, NLY, NNN, O, OHI, PBI, PEP, PG, PM, PNY, PSX, RIG, RY, SBSI, SDRL, SDY, SNY, SO, SPY, SYY, T, TE, TGT, TIP, TOT, TUP, UHT, UNP, UNS, UTX, VIG, VVC, VZ, WAG, WEC, WM, WMT, WU, XLU, XOM
  • It's Time To Play Ball (Part 2): Building A Winning Dividend Growth Roster [View article]
    I continue to see people afraid of buying companies at 52 week highs. What in the world does price have to do with it?

Every company I own had a 52 week high at some point and continued to go higher.

It isn't the price, it's the fundamentals of the company!

When I see a company at a 52 week high and they come out with better than expected earnings, and they are guiding higher over the next year ... BOOK IT!!! ... price is going higher and analysts are going to raise fair values. ... Don't think! Jump on it! Provided it is a financially sound company, one of high quality.

It isn't about price. It's about the fundamentals of the company. Are they operating on all cylinders or not? If they are operating on all cylinders, I don't care what the PE, price or anything else is. Those numbers are now irrelevant. Price is going higher and the numbers will be adjusted upwards because the company is now worth more.
    Aug 5, 2013. 12:27 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hmmm, ... the only big oil company I own is CVX.

In the MLP sector, I do own all 3 Kinder products in various types of accounts for tax purposes, plus EPD and MMP.

I also own about 8 or 9 utility companies but I own them for geographical diversification because utes only serve a small section of the country.

The only driller I own is SDRL.

I'd like to own another big oil company but I don't want to own Shell or Total. I may consider Conoco again one day, but I don't know. I'm waiting on the next dividend increase from XOM. I want to see if they are going to be consistent with the last rate increase or two. It appeared they were going to be a little more share owner friendly. If they are, I'd like to own them. Otherwise, I'll stick with CVX and build that position up even more. I'm going to be adding to CVX next month anyway.
    Aug 4, 2013. 11:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Golfer, I never place limit orders in a bull market, and we're in a bull market. I pick a price range and when it gets into the price range, and that can be two to three percent above my low bid, I place a market order.

You will never catch me missing a good entry point over a nickel or a dime, not when I'm trying to add a Tier 1 company. I'll do that with speculation plays, but not core positions.
    Aug 4, 2013. 11:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    >>> I pounced on weakness last time around and it worked out well for me! Long run, who cares. <<<

Ha! Ha! ... yeah, that works sometimes.

I usually pounce on strength and that works almost all of the time.

I try to play both ends and not limit my options, but I think you are doing fine. I'm not disagreeing with you, simply sharing another view.

Wish I could switch places with you. You be my age and me your age. ... Ha!
    Aug 4, 2013. 11:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The Valuations On The Best Consumer Discretionary Dividend Growth Stocks [View article]
    Dexter? ... What in the world is Dexter?

I don't watch network TV other than sports, so I could care less. Strip me of my sports and we're going to war!
    Aug 4, 2013. 09:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors: Is It Time To Consider A New Investment Strategy? Part 4 [View article]
    Golfer, I'm not in the distribution phase yet, but I am close. My thinking at this stage is that I'm sticking with Tier 1 companies and don't plan on nip budding them. I own them for their financial strength, safety of the dividend, and consistent dividend growth, not their yield.

Although I might be able to increase the income by going after more yield, safety of the dividend is job number one. I would rather adjust spending habits than go after higher yield where the dividend or dividend growth is more at risk.

I can get more yield than CL for example, but their dividend growth has been very consistent and as long as it is, I won't chase after higher yield. CL's role is to increase the dividend at near double digit rates. It helps to make up for the lower dividend growth of O for example. I'm not selling O either. That dividend is as safe as they come in my opinion. I want that safety.

CL for dividend growth, O for dividend safety. Each position has a role to fill and I determine buy or sell decisions on the role assigned to each position.

GIS is another example of a company I won't trim. They have been paying a dividend for 114 years and have never lowered it. Never. If they freeze the dividend, I'll live with it because they have shown a dividend freeze is not a prelude to a dividend cut. I'll take the safety of the dividend as that is job number one. That's the role assigned to GIS.

On the other hand, if you are unsure of what you want to do, split the difference. Sell some, hold some and then see which works out best.
    Aug 4, 2013. 11:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

I have have funds to invest on Monday and no idea yet as to where they will go. I was considering adding a new position and decided to look at your portfolio for ideas.

I already own half of what you own and I don't wish to increase the number of MLP's, tobacco or REIT's than I already own. That left me with one choice ... PAYX and that is priced a little richly. I'd have to really dig in and determine if it's worth it to buy or to wait. I think it's a great holding in an increasing interest environment though.

So, one idea! Sorry pal, but you need to do better than that. ... Ha!
    Aug 4, 2013. 10:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Strategy - Why I Sold INTC [View instapost]
    This past week I met up with one of the SA contributors and we shared a few cold ones together. Well, Percy and I drank most of his share. ... Ha!

One of the things we discussed was that when we share information in these comment streams one of the things that don't come across is our age. Often times age determines what sorts of risk one can take due to the length of time some positions need in order to work out.

I'm in my 60's and very close to the distribution phase. During this phase I need more consistency from my holdings, more predictability in order for me to have peace of mind. Others my age may enjoy taking on more risk and that's okay.

I share my actions and explain my thoughts so others can see where I'm coming from. If I say or do something that helps determine what others may wish to do, then I think that's great. If what I say doesn't fit with other's plans, that doesn't mean I think they are wrong or are a knucklehead. We all have different objectives and various risk tolerances.

If I were a young person, I would agree with dewerewolf above and focus on the financial stability of INTC and I might have hung on to INTC. I think it's going to take 3-5 years for INTC to reward their share owners with decent price appreciation and solidify their dividend stream.

In my case, due to my age, I'm not willing to wait 3-5 years to see if I'm right or not. If I'm wrong, and I must take that into consideration, I've wasted valuable compounding time. If I were a young man, time would be on my side.

Again, I would have held on to INTC if they would have simply been more consistent in their dividend increases. I thought they were going to establish that steady dividend growth pattern and I was wrong about that. INTC may raise the dividend next quarter and if they do, their annual dividend growth string will stay alive.

In my case, Ole chowder just needs more consistency to provide peace for his feeble mind and that's why I invested the INTC proceeds into SO, MCD and JNJ. ... Ha!
    Aug 4, 2013. 09:47 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Retirement Income Portfolio And Its 2nd Quarter Review [View article]
    @FreeStateYank ... I reinvest all dividends and I have listed my reasons here:

Aug 3, 2013. 10:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Strategy - Why I Sold INTC [View instapost]
    >>> To expect it to raise the dividend consistently like KO or JNJ is more of an oversight on purchase due diligence than a red flag imho. <<<

It wasn't an oversight of their dividend history. I did expect them to stay on track as they did the last couple of years though, but it's more of me purging the portfolio of companies who don't have the reliable and predictable dividend increases of a KO and JNJ.

In fact, I've even sold foreign companies off like NGG and DEO because their dividends are erratic and unpredictable. It doesn't make them bad companies, it simply means they don't meet my "Mission Statement" of building an income stream that is reliable ... predictable ... and increasing.
    Aug 3, 2013. 09:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Will Buy This Stock When It Will Become Undervalued...  [View instapost]
    Nicely done!
    Aug 3, 2013. 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Compromise Your Conviction For Dividends-A-Plenty [View article]
    Thanks for that link User. It gives me something to read on the plane today. ... Ha!
    Jul 27, 2013. 02:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Compromise Your Conviction For Dividends-A-Plenty [View article]
    Minutemen, I took a short cut and went to Yahoo. They say 118 properties. I go to the ARCP web site and I'm actually a little impressed with some of their properties. And yes, they confirm your number.

I don't use Yahoo for my DD but I wasn't doing DD when I looked. I simply wanted to see the company's profile. Guess I'll go straight to the home sites from now on.

Thanks for the follow up.

Still puzzled at the buy backs though.
    Jul 26, 2013. 02:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Compromise Your Conviction For Dividends-A-Plenty [View article]
    Minutemen, thanks for sharing that. I'm not familiar with ARCP and I had to look them up. I see that they are a small REIT with only 118 properties.

As I think about that, I wonder why they are buying back shares and not buying properties.

I'm not going to get into their financial ratings or anything since they are too small for me to consider owning them, but now I know there is a REIT out there willing to buy their own shares as opposed to buying properties. I learned something new today. ... Ha!
    Jul 26, 2013. 02:29 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Compromise Your Conviction For Dividends-A-Plenty [View article]
    I don't think I've ever heard of a REIT buying back shares. Their job is to buy properties. The more properties they own, the more rents they collect.

I shudder at the thought of O buying back shares. ... Ha!
    Jul 26, 2013. 02:04 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment