Chowder

View Chowder's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, AFL, APD, ARCP, ARLP, AT, BDT, BF.B, BMO, BP, BRK.A, BRK.B, C, CBRL, CINF, CL, COP, CTL, CVX, D, DE, DIA, DRI, ED, ENB, EPD, EXC, FSP, FTR, GD, GE, GILD, GIS, GPC, HCBK, HCN, HGIC, IBM, INTC, JNJ, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KRFT, LEG, LINE, LNCO, LO, MAA, MCD, MDLZ, MDT, MHR, MKC, MMM, MMP, MO, NFLX, NHI, NLY, NNN, O, OHI, PBI, PEP, PG, PM, PNY, PSX, RIG, RY, SBSI, SDRL, SDY, SNY, SO, SPY, SYY, T, TE, TGT, TIP, TOT, TUP, UHT, UNP, UNS, UTX, VIG, VVC, VZ, WAG, WEC, WM, WMT, WU, XLU, XOM
  • Looking Beyond The Obvious: Critical Thinking And Investment Decisions (Part 1) [View article]
    I have a flip phone with no texting, taking pictures or internet. You can count on one hand the number of calls I get in a month, and I make even fewer calls myself.

The Missus has a smart phone and loves it. She keeps trying to get me to come out of the Dark Ages, but I refuse. The light hurts my eyes and brain. ... Ha!
    Jun 28, 2015. 03:09 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    @Sauce ... I don't think you've read too many of Chuck's articles. Neither Chuck or the F.A.S.T. Graph tool he uses propose to be market analysts. He doesn't propose market timing to the extent that he predicts what the market is going to do.

Chuck is a business analyst and his concern is in showing people how to buy high quality companies at a discount to fair value. That's different than telling you or me when to go to cash, when a recession is coming, or claiming his companies are going to outperform everything.

Buying quality at a discount is the focus in Chuck's articles.
    Jun 28, 2015. 11:49 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    Optimism doesn't mean everything you do works out, it means you don't let your mistakes rule you, it means you look at what your mistakes taught you and you move forward.

The pessimist says since most people can't beat an index buy the index, an optimist will continue to ignore them, press on towards their goals, and if their performance isn't achieving what they set out to do, they don't quit and change, they look for ways to improve.

To the optimist, quitting isn't an option, self-improvement is!
    Jun 28, 2015. 10:55 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: I Do Not Care If I Beat The S&P 500 At All [View article]
    The rating was again affirmed in June 2014.

Jun 28, 2015. 07:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    @Steve ... --- who saw ge or --- how about bank of america
    become trouble in a timely manner---

I saw a research report from a firm called Deschaine & Company back in 2007 that reported the dividend for Bank of America was at risk. They owned a large position in BAC and felt compelled to share that information.

Most people at the time ignored the information or shrugged it off as immaterial because BAC had been so good to them over the years.

The danger was recognized in a timely manner but was ignored by most.

The GE dividend was in trouble and telegraphed by the very idea that it was questioned at the time. Since the CEO confirmed the dividend was safe, most people accepted that and held on. The dividend wasn't safe and I have come to realize that if analysts are questioning the dividend in conference calls, then there's a good chance that it's going to get cut.

Whether we choose to act on it is one thing, but the information is out there if we are willing to accept it. We may not get them all right, but in my case I was right in 6 of the 7 calls I acted upon where I thought the dividend was at risk.
    Jun 27, 2015. 01:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Germany was a way of wearing you down. Their constant pressure usually causes others to make mistakes. They didn't play well last night but in order to be a true champion, you have to find a way to win when you're not playing your best. Germany did that.

USA had to play without two of their top front line players due to red cards the French referee issued and most people called those bookings unnecessary. So, now that we won, we'll get them back for the next game against Germany, and we'll need them too. I don't expect Germany to play badly after this recent win.

Today I'm rooting for Japan and England, sorry Canada. ... Ha!
    Jun 27, 2015. 12:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    If I were trading that's what I would do, but I'm not trading.

What I have referred to before is not to avoid companies whose price is at a 52 week high. I wasn't watching the price on DE because I wasn't ready to make a purchase in anything, but I've talked about it before. Buying 52 week breakouts on high volume is a great entry point. That breakout point will represent a price support level and you get your margin of safety immediately.

The reason 52 week breakouts can be so powerful is because there is no overhead supply waiting to come to market. Meaning there isn't anyone who paid a higher price waiting to sell as they get back to even. Overhead supply usually causes price to retreat because there is more supply available than demand.

52 week breakouts are demand driven. I will ignore valuations to a certain degree when I buy those price breakouts.
    Jun 27, 2015. 12:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    In looking at the charts, I see where CLX came down and tested the 40 week/200 day moving average. Since the stock has been in an uptrend, you can reasonably expect a bounce of that support level and possibly test the 52 week high.

CLX will need a catalyst to send price above that price resistance level.

Kids are already grown and out of the house. My son is currently in the Philippines and my daughter will be here shortly. We're heading down to Buffalo Wild Wings for the Woman's World Cup match between Germany and France. (Rooting for Germany). Then we will head to the soccer pub for the USA and China match. Wings! Beer! Sports! The order of the day.
    Jun 26, 2015. 02:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    Anyone seeing the price and volume action in DE today, up over $3 per share as I type?

This is purely a technical move as traders are moving price up based mostly on technical indicators. Over the last two plus years DE has hit a high and pulled back creating what is known as a triple top. Triple tops are rare and when they occur, you can usually see some nice price action. The top was $92 and very quickly we are up close to $97.

I would expect price to continue to rise over the next month or so, leading up to earnings, at which time I expect a correction of some sort even if the news is good. Good news is being priced in now.

I love these technical moves when I see them. Sometimes I miss the ole trading days. ... Ha!
    Jun 26, 2015. 01:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Ye Of Little Faith' What Has It Cost You? Part 1 [View article]
    Speaking of survivorship bias, today is the day the Russell Indexes kick out companies and add new ones.

It's okay to use an index as a back test and allow for survivorship bias, but equity owners aren't allowed to?

Jun 26, 2015. 01:20 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With David Van Knapp [View article]
    Calvin Murphy was a master at dribbling the ball and for dexterity exercises, he used to twirl the baton. He was a champion baton twirler!
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    I don't own BWLD personally, I purchased it in the Project $3 Million Portfolio along with ULTA. Two growth companies that do not pay a dividend.

I told my daughter not to tell her brother he owns a cosmetic company, he might freak out. He has no idea what ULTA is. ... Ha!
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    I didn't know what the yield on DIS was, I never looked. I'm surprised it's as low as it is.

To be honest, with the yield as low as it is, I'd rather own BWLD. I think BWLD has more growth potential and is more recession proof. I know it's a restaurant but Wings, beer and sports go together.

I go there every week during NFL season and they turn the crowd over at least twice. A certain group of fans show up for the 1 PM game and then the crowd turns over for the 4 PM game. Then comes another crowd for the Sunday Night game when they have Sunday Night games. Wings, beer and sports are a cheap date and the environment is like tailgating.
    Jun 25, 2015. 08:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Differing Outlooks On The Market [View article]
    My daughter was held after class in high school because she used her cell phone in class. I had to go talk with the teacher before he would give it back. In front of my daughter, I told him if she ever did it again, take the phone and donate it charity, throw it away, or do whatever he wanted with it, but she was not to get it back. Problem solved!
    Jun 25, 2015. 08:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With David Van Knapp [View article]
    Holy Cross hasn't been relevant since Bob Cousy moved on, but Boston College is trying to go big time.
    Jun 25, 2015. 06:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment