Chris Grunewald

View Chris Grunewald's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    Yeah, it definitely is frustrating. I see a lot of people blaming Judge Jackson's hesitancy/inadequacy to rule. But I challenge them: is it really his hesitancy, or is it the complexity of the subject matter? Juror confusion and an enormously high dollar amount at stake makes his decisions very important, difficult, and time-consuming. Combine that with an extremely busy (and about to retire) USDC judge, and you have a long wait.

And of course the companies aren't talking of a settlement at the moment. GOOG said it themselves...
    "Plaintiff's criticism that Defendants do not intend to negotiate regarding post-judgment damages because they have not yet contacted Plaintiff overlooks the fact that negotiations are most effective when the parties are aware of relevant facts."

This is because there are outstanding issues that need to be addressed (specifically Rule 50(b)). When this is done, there is a high probability that serious settlement discussions will commence. See below:
    "... allow the parties time to negotiate any potential royalty, with the commonsense understanding that an agreement is more likely when the parties have the relevant evidence at their disposal."
    Mar 7 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    Hi John,

Motion [860] ( found here http://bit.ly/Wxq0Ei ), established a new [822] briefing schedule to be determined once "relevant post-trial motions" are opined on by Jackson.
    Mar 7 06:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March Madness Trading Challenge [View instapost]
    hopefully it's not too late to enter in. I'll go Long SKUL
    Mar 6 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    It sounds like you're trying to pick a fight. I don't have a position because there are better opportunities in my opinion and for the reasons outlined above. I'll leave it at that.
    Mar 5 11:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    Pay close attention to my words. I said GOOG share price has nothing to do with Vringo.

From a future royalties perspective, as of now, no, GOOG ads don't affect VRNG price per share. Remember future royalties haven't been granted yet.
    Mar 5 03:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    GOOG's pps has nothing to do with Vringo. Acc'd to their 1/29 report, they have over $14.7B in cash & equivalents. Vringo is, and always was, a drop in the bucket for Google.

If future royalties do come into play in the future, you'll be correct. Google doing well subsequently means Vringo is doing well.
    Mar 5 11:52 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    Good question. I don't necessarily think there's a concrete answer for that other than the obvious uncertainty and unmet expectations.

Timing is also a factor. Judge Jackson, presumably, has to:
    a.) Rule on FRCP50(b)
    b.) Establish a timeline for [822]
    c.) [822] Response briefs have to be filed by both parties (approximately 2 weeks)
    d.) Subsequent [822] Reply briefs have to be filed by both parties (approximately 1 week)
    e.) Give Final Ruling

So if he rules in sequence (in sequence is key terminology), looking like early-mid April at the earliest for a final ruling, sans settlement
    Mar 4 10:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    I'm sorry if you felt that way as that wasn't the point of the article (as I stated, I don't have a position.)

I admit I fell into the hype when I bought in the middle of last summer, and did not sell in early October when settlement speculation was rampant because I was euphoric. It took a while for me to notice that my expectations and timeframe weren't consistent with what was transpiring. I think VRNG will see a decent pop, but not in the near future and not a huge pop, for the reasons outlined above.
    Mar 4 06:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    I assume you're talking about MSFT? If so, I don't think they'll "simple settle". They're a multinational company who gets attacked by patent trolls everyday. Maybe (quite even probably) down the line, but they won't roll over and play dead.

And from a Buyout perspective, it's certainly interesting, but I have a couple concerns. Yes, it is definitely an M&A market with many big VC/PE firms/ public companies taking advantage of interest rates and a true investor's market.

But, my main concern is, how exactly would you value Vringo? Their FaceTones business has little monetary relevance, and diversified patent monetization is quite literally a gamble because your income relies on other people's subjective opinions (judges, jury, etc.). Would a prospective company be comfortable taking that risk, plus the fact that macro-patent reform is coming?
    Mar 2 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: What You Really Need To Pay Attention To [View article]
    Thanks for the feedback & commentary guys. Much appreciated.

I see a lot of comments re: the royalty rate. The royalty rate (RR) is not as important as the royalty base (RB). Remember that GOOG is trying to go for 2.8% of revenues compared to Vringo fighting for 20.9%. It is better to get 3.5% of 20.9% of revenues compared to 3.5% (or whatever arbitrary number) of 2.8%.

Just an FYI -- I frequently write on other forums as "PhillyPhinest". I sold my core position in VRNG a couple weeks ago after holding since July. In my opinion, not a lot can happen between now and when Rule 50(b) is decided. After that, I will re-evaluate establishing a position in Vringo.
    Mar 2 02:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo: Court May Have Telegraphed Decision Worth 40% Of This Stock's Market Cap [View article]
    remember, VRNG stated that it was "a transposition of the decimal point". Specific wording if indeed they were going for FRCP 60(a)
    Feb 22 04:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment