View as an RSS Feed
View Chris Katje's Articles BY TICKER:
AA, ABT, AEO, AFL, ALSK, AMCX, AMZN, ANF, ANGI, ANN, AOL, APO, APTS, ARAY, ARCO, ARII, ARMK, ARO, ASEI, ASNA, ATRO, ATVI, AVIV, BA, BAGR, BDBD, BDCV, BEAM, BERY, BF.B, BFAM, BGS, BJRI, BKS, BKW, BLMN, BNNY, BONA, BREW, BSMX, BUD, BWLD, BYD, CAG, CAKE, CCL, CDX, CHGG, CHRS, CLNE, CMCSA, CMG, CMS, CNCO, CNH, COH, COLM, COOL, COSI, COST, COTY, COV, CPB, CRMB, CRSR, CRUS, CRWN, CVA, CVO, CZR, DDMGQ, DELL, DFRG, DIS, DISCA, DNDN, DOC, DPS, DRI, DRII, DRJ, DSW, DWA, EA, EAC, EBAY, EHTH, EQIX, ESRT, EWM, EXA, F, FB, FIVE, FIZZ, FLO, FLT, FNDR, FPI, FRCOY, GCO, GIII, GIL, GILD, GIMO, GIS, GLUU, GMCR, GME, GMED, GNTX, GOGO, GPS, GRAM, GRT, GRUB, GSVC, HA, HAIN, HAS, HBAN, HBI, HD, HE, HMRZF, HNZ, HOTR, HPT, HSH, HSY, HXL, IACI, IBB, ICON, IGT, IMAX, IRBT, IRG, ISCA, ITW, JACK, JAKK, JBLU, JBT, JOSB, KATE, KING, KO, KORS, LAEC, LAND, LBIX, LF, LGF, LGND, LMNR, LOCK, LOCM, LOGI, LOW, LULU, LYV, LZB, MANU, MAR, MAT, MCD, MDLZ, MELI, MFB, MM, MNST, MODN, MOV, MPC, MPEL, MR, MSFT, MSG, MSLP, MTN, MUR, MVIS, MW, NAFC, NASH, NCLH, NCMI, NCR, NDLS, NKE, NOK, NOW, NTDOY, NTES, NTN, NTRI, NUAN, NWL, NWS, NWSA, OAK, ONXX, ORB, ORIG, OSUR, OUTR, PBH, PBPB, PBT, PCAR, PEP, PF, PFE, PG, PGR, PLAY, PNK, POST, PSUN, PVH, PWRD, PZZI, RAD, RCI, RCL, REV, RRGB, RSH, RST, RVLT, SALE, SAM, SATS, SBUX, SC, SCI, SCS, SCTY, SDRL, SEAS, SFXE, SGAMY, SGMS, SJM, SMTH, SNE, SNOW, SONC, SPTN, SQBG, SQNXF, STEI, STEM, STNR, STRZA, STZ, SVA, SWHC, SYY, TAOM, TASR, TEAR, TEVA, TFM, THQIQ, TINY, TITN, TIVO, TJX, TMWE, TRAK, TRIA, TRK, TRUP, TTWO, TV, TWX, UA, UBSFY, ULTA, URBN, VICL, VLRS, VRA, WDAY, WHR, WMT, WTW, WWAV, WWW, XOOM, XRAY, YELP, YHOO, YUM, YY, ZNGA, ZOES, ZTS
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: Africa/Asia
- MTN Group is the largest African telecommunications company and offers great growth with growing mobile penetration.
- Nigeria is now the largest GDP country in Africa, offering several opportunities.
- Shoprite has exposure to several key growth markets.
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: South America
- Brazil companies will get a boost from the 2014 World Cup.
- Arcos Dorados has over 800 McDonald's in Brazil and could be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the World Cup.
- Avianca Holdings and LATAM Airlines both offer exposure to growing aircraft, flights, and infrastructure in South America.
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: North America, Central America, Caribbean
- PriceSmart offers great exposure to Caribbean area and operates similar to Costco.
- Manchester United will have huge sponsorship deals in 2014 from Nike and GM.
- Fomento remains a great pick for a thriving Mexican convenience and beverage market.
Microvision Shares Too Cheap To Ignore With Upcoming 2014 And 2015 Production And Delivery
- New partnership with major global consumer brand strengthens validity of technology.
- Ramping up production on announced deal with Sony.
- Mine of technology and patents in growing field of projectors.
- Delivery to UPS of projectors in third quarter, could quickly lead to additional deals with major global company.
- Delivery of prototype to major global automobile supplier in quarter 2.
Could Theme Parks And Video Games Provide A Lift For Lions Gate Entertainment?
- Lions Gate Entertainment has strong assets that could see demand as theme park rides and attractions.
- Lions Gate partners with Kabam, which has had success with games based on movies before.
- Shares are down 30% from 52-week highs and offer good buying point.
Pizza Inn Holdings Looks Tasty With Growth Of Fast Casual Pie Five Brand
- Pie Five brand offers great growth in hot fast casual pizza market.
- 170 units signed to franchise agreements.
- Pie Five will double its store count by the end of 2014.
- Franchise revenue and increased unit sales at Pie Five locations padding top line sales for Pizza Inn Holdings going forward.
Key Takeaways From Boeing's Annual Investor Conference
- Huge backlog of $441 billion will power the company going forward.
- Operating margins increasing, providing better earnings power.
- Company is buying back shares and increasing its dividend payout to reward patient shareholders.
7 Mid-Cap Companies Loved By Hedge Funds
- A Wall Street Journal list shows most loved companies by hedge funds.
- Looking at the companies with market capitalizations of under $10 billion shows strong growth ahead.
- Conversions to REIT and high dividend yields are among the reasons hedge funds love these 7 companies.
Marathon Petroleum Corporation A Winner With New Hess Acquisition
- Acquisition expands retail presence from 9 states to 23.
- Marathon has success at boosting EBITDA at convenience stores and can turnaround Hess's operations.
- Gives Marathon market-leading position in convenience stores.
- Strong portfolio of stores will help boost cash flow and lead to strong shareholder returns.
The Cheesecake Factory Is Padding Profits With New International Licensing Deals
- The Cheesecake Factory adds new deal to bring 14 licensed restaurants to Asia.
- Combined with two existing deals (Middle East, Mexico & Chile), this brings minimum international total to 50.
- Each licensed location is bringing over $0.01 in earnings per share annually.
PepsiCo Heats Up Fountain Beverage Battles Against Rival Coca-Cola With New Spire Device
- Coca-Cola dominates the fountain beverage market with 70% share.
- New kiosk system from Pepsi could hit into Coke's market share and already helped lure Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Pepsi's new model has higher profit margins for restaurants with traditional bag-in-a-box system.
After 40% Fall From IPO, SFX Entertainment Is Too Cheap - Marketing And Festival Revenue Will Power Turnaround
- SFX's latest acquisitions are powering the company further.
- Heavy back loaded schedule of festivals in 2014 will improve financials in third and fourth quarter.
- Shares are down too much from IPO price, offering great entry point with many catalysts to come.
Abbott Laboratories Acquires CFR Pharmaceuticals: What It Means And Why Shares Are Undervalued By 20%
- Acquisition provides open door to Latin America and Central America growth.
- Latin America pharmaceutical market is expected to grow 70% by 2018.
- Abbott Laboratories trades at 15.9 times fiscal 2015 estimated earnings per share prior to acquisition.
Michael Sam Documentary On Oprah Winfrey Network Will Create Value For Discovery Communications
- OWN lands exclusive rights to Michael Sam draft story, creating docuseries.
- Joint venture is just now turning profitable, bringing free cash flow and returned loans to Discovery Communications.
- Shares trade at 52 week lows and offer growth stock mentality with a new momentum play on the Michael Sam story.
- Money from OWN will help fund massive $5.5 billion share buyback, retiring over 20% of current shares.
Zoosk And TrueCar IPOs Ready To Show How Undervalued Keating Capital Shares Are
- Company trades below net asset value.
- TrueCar and Zoosk IPOs in spotlight, with possible valuation increases overnight.
- Other portfolio companies eyeing upcoming IPOs.
- Strong capital return plan that yielded over 8% in 2013 and looks strong for 2014.
- Sale of Millenial Media stake will free up cash for future investments.
Yoga Pants: Why High-Growth Columbia Sportswear Should Be In Your Portfolio
- Acquisition of Prana diversifies business and helps company see more revenue in off season quarters.
- Prana gives Columbia Sportswear a possible second key brand.
- Columbia's strong international presence and retail channels can expand the Prana brand immediately.
Lions Gate Boosts Lineup With Power Rangers Franchise And America Documentary
- Divergent box office has sent shares down to attractive levels.
- The addition of Power Rangers adds to an impressive lineup of potential franchises.
- Controversial documentary could be a box office surprise and help boost revenue and profits.
Pepsi Should Buy Chobani Before It Faces Head-On Competition
- Pepsi continues to be undervalued with potential for food and beverage unit splits.
- Combination of Chobani and Muller Joint Venture would make Pepsi a key player in growing yogurt market.
- Chobani invading Pepsi's oatmeal dominance.
Prestige Brands Looks Like Good Investment After Acquisition Of Insight Pharmaceuticals
- Combination of two like minded companies creates huge OTC giant with leading position in feminine care.
- Acquisition gives Prestige Brands its first $100 million brand.
- Deal will improve gross margin by 300 basis points.
- International sales continue to increase with acquisition of Hydralyte.
Hillshire Brands Expands Into Gluten Free: Time To Buy This Great Company
- Acquisition of Van's Natural Foods brings gluten free foods to Hillshire Brands.
- Hillshire Brands seeing strong growth at Jimmy Dean.
- Operating Margins improving and bringing more money to the bottom line.
Rite Aid Still Offers Upside With Acquisitions And In-Store Plans
- Shares of Rite Aid are up 217% in a year.
- Acquisition of RediClinic brings growth to in-store sales and paves way for expansion into new states.
- Increasing same store sales and higher profit margins with branded products.
New Self Checkout And China Growth Among Reasons To Buy NCR Shares
- New self checkout could lead to strong backlog.
- Growth in China coming with localized partnership with Anmao.
- Shift to interactive banking ATMs increasing financial segment revenue.
Wal-Mart Puts Pressure On Whole Foods Market And Organic Food Companies
- Wal-Mart's focus on organic packaged foods will increase sales and put pressure on pricing in the industry.
- Whole Foods Market's dominant market position will face pressure and could hurt already lower same store sales growth.
- Hain Celestial will feel pricing pressure from Wal-Mart, one of its best customers.
- Timing of Wal-Mart's entry could hurt General Mills' key growth category.
Paccar's Peterbilt Unit In Spotlight With Partnerships And Increased Efficiency
- New Peterbilt Prototype Tractor Trailer with Wal-Mart could replace 6,000 existing trucks.
- Supertruck with Cummins has 9.9 miles per gallon in tests, could help boost truck industry and new regulations.
- Regulations and better efficiency creating a new upcoming bull market in semi-trucks.
- Growth in Brazil and room for market share increases will lead to international expansion.
Nigeria Is Now The Largest African Economy, A Look At Possible Investments
- Nigeria passed South Africa as largest GDP country in Africa.
- MTN Group gets majority of its revenue from Nigeria and serves 56.8 million subscribers in the country.
- The Global X Nigeria Index ETF offers best pure play investment in region with 70% of assets in Nigerian stocks.
Buffalo Wild Wings: Big Growth Ahead With International Expansion And New Concepts
- Strong goals of 1700 U.S. units, 400 international locations, and 900 additional brand units.
- Expansion of PizzaRev underway, and first of several possible additional brands in portfolio.
- New initiatives like tableside tablets and a dedicated television channel will keep guests in restaurants longer.
- Current franchise deals in place already for 45 international locations in five key countries.
Farmland Partners IPO Offers Investors Unique Opportunity To Own Farmland
- Unique vehicle of farmland and crop ownership for investors.
- Strong opportunity for acquisitions to power revenue and dividend payments.
- REIT status will require 90% of earnings to be paid out to shareholders.
- Several risks with dilution and relationships with executives.
GrubHub IPO Will Reward Long-Term Investors
- Full integration of Seamless and GrubHub merger creating strong market leader.
- Huge opportunity in highly fragmented market with current base of 600 U.S. cities.
- Potential for international expansion via acquisitions.
Avengers, Star Wars And New Disney Deal Will Power IMAX's Strong Lineup For 2014 And 2015
- IMAX signs deal with Disney that includes Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII.
- Both Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII should hit $100 million mark on IMAX.
- Strong 2014 and 2015 lineup powered by partnerships with Disney and Time Warner.
- Record backlog, including more than 200 theaters in China.
Constellation Brands: Corona On Draft Will Tap Profits
- Constellation Brands rolling out Corona Light draft beer nationally.
- Strong initial cross promotion of beer brands with wine & spirits brands.
- Full ownership of Crown Imports boosting sales and also operating margins.
- Current draft sales of 2% expected to hit 10% over time.
Invest In Restaurant Tablet Transformations With NTN Buzztime
- Buffalo Wild Wings rollout will triple number of restaurants with new BEOND platform.
- Potential for additional BEOND deals from companies like Hooters and TGI Fridays.
- Growing membership and loyalty rewards base of 4 million plus consumers.
- Pure play investment opportunity on hot restaurant technology.
Not 'Crushing' On King Digital Entertainment IPO
- Valuation is rich compared to social game and video game companies.
- Heavy reliance on Candy Crush Saga: 78% of bookings, 73% of daily active users.
- Fourth quarter bookings and daily users down on quarter-over-quarter basis.