View as an RSS Feed
View Chris Katje's Articles BY TICKER:
AA, ABT, AEO, AFL, ALSK, AMCX, AMZN, ANF, ANGI, ANN, AOL, APO, APTS, ARAY, ARCO, ARII, ARMK, ARO, ASEI, ASNA, ATRO, ATVI, AVAL, AVIV, BA, BAGR, BDBD, BDCV, BEAM, BERY, BF.B, BFAM, BGS, BIDU, BJRI, BKS, BKW, BLMN, BNNY, BONA, BREW, BSMX, BUD, BWLD, BYD, CAG, CAKE, CCL, CDX, CHGG, CLNE, CMCSA, CMG, CMS, CNCO, CNH, COH, COLM, COOL, COSI, COST, COTY, COV, CPB, CRMB, CRSR, CRUS, CRWN, CVA, CVO, CZR, DDMGQ, DELL, DFRG, DIS, DISCA, DNDN, DOC, DPS, DRI, DRII, DRJ, DSW, DWA, EA, EAC, EBAY, EHTH, EQIX, ESRT, EWM, EXA, F, FB, FIVE, FIZZ, FLO, FLT, FNDR, FPI, FRCOY, GCO, GIII, GIL, GILD, GIMO, GIS, GLUU, GMCR, GME, GMED, GNTX, GOGO, GPS, GRAM, GRT, GRUB, GSVC, HA, HABT, HAIN, HAR, HAS, HBAN, HBI, HD, HE, HMRZF, HNZ, HOTR, HPT, HSH, HSY, HUBS, HXL, IACI, IBB, ICON, IGT, IMAX, IRBT, IRG, ISCA, ITW, JACK, JAKK, JBLU, JBT, JOSB, JUNO, KATE, KING, KO, KORS, LAEC, LAND, LBIX, LF, LGF, LGND, LMNR, LOCK, LOCM, LOGI, LOGM, LOW, LULU, LYV, LZB, MANU, MAR, MAT, MCD, MDLZ, MELI, MFB, MM, MNST, MODN, MOV, MPC, MPEL, MR, MSFT, MSG, MSLP, MTN, MUR, MVIS, MW, NAFC, NASH, NBR, NCLH, NCMI, NCR, NDLS, NKE, NOK, NOW, NTDOY, NTES, NTN, NTRI, NUAN, NWL, NWS, NWSA, OAK, ONXX, ORAN, ORB, ORIG, OSTK, OSUR, OTIV, OUTR, PBH, PBPB, PBT, PCAR, PEP, PF, PFE, PG, PGR, PLAY, PNK, POST, PSRT, PSUN, PVH, PWRD, PZZI, RAD, RAVN, RCI, RCL, REV, RRGB, RSH, RST, RVLT, RWLK, SALE, SAM, SATS, SBUX, SC, SCI, SCS, SCTY, SDRL, SEAS, SFXE, SGAMY, SGMS, SJM, SMTH, SNE, SNOW, SONC, SPTN, SQBG, SQNXF, STEI, STEM, STNR, STRZA, STZ, SVA, SWHC, SYY, TAOM, TASR, TAST, TCEHY, TEAR, TEVA, TFM, THQIQ, TINY, TITN, TIVO, TJX, TMWE, TRAK, TRIA, TRK, TRUP, TTWO, TV, TWX, UA, UBSFY, ULTA, URBN, VICL, VLRS, VRA, WDAY, WHR, WMT, WTW, WWAV, WWW, XOOM, XRAY, YELP, YHOO, YUM, YY, ZNGA, ZOES, ZTS
Yum Brands Needs Taco Bell's Strength To Outshine China Food Worries
- Food safety issues will hit China division sales.
- Taco Bell continues to market well against rivals and expand menu offerings.
- Taco Bell same store sales among best for company.
- Strength at Taco Bell leading to increased franchising power of brand.
Bagger Dave's Is Still Appealing With Growing Original Concept And Strong Buffalo Wild Wings Franchise Cash Flow
- Acquisition of 3 Florida Buffalo Wild Wings boosts full-year guidance.
- Company expects 103 to 113 restaurants by end of 2017, versus 60 today.
- Shares trade at 0.9 times fiscal 2014 sales, versus 1.8 for Buffalo Wild Wings.
SFX Entertainment Reports Stellar Second Quarter, Remains Undervalued
- Revenue up more than 200% in first six months of year.
- Shares down 40% from IPO price in October.
- Rising sponsorship revenue from major clients like MasterCard and T-Mobile.
- Attendance at major festivals continues to rapidly increase.
- 2015 shaping up to be robust year with festival expansion to new territories.
GSV Capital Remains Undervalued With Shares At 50% Of NAV And Upcoming Catalysts
- Shares of GSV trade for less than 51% of net asset value.
- Large stake in Twitter continues to increase in value and offers a cheap way to invest in the social media company.
- Upcoming IPOs could boost valuation and interest in the boring pre-IPO investment company.
Revolution Lighting Upside Still Stands With Expansive Backlog And Increased Revenue
- Revolution Lighting matches raised guidance for second quarter.
- Acquisition of Value Lighting continues to offer growth for the company going forward.
- Upcoming catalysts with Ganga Hospitality and Staples will power third and fourth quarter.
- Strong backlog could add $150 million in potential revenue.
Gamestop: 5 Key Reasons To Get Behind This Retail Brand
- Digital and mobile sales continue to offer strong growth and opportunity to fight retail declines.
- Gamestop expanding other growth retail brands that offer diversification and a shift away from video games.
- Shares trade at less than 10 times expected fiscal 2015 earnings per share.
- Strong and growing 3.3% dividend yield, with $400 million in planned buybacks coming as well.
Microvision Continues Path To Profitability With Production And Delivery Coming Soon
- Deal with Sony enters pivotal delivery stage and remains on track for 2014 launch.
- Partnership with UPS could be behind company's Memphis facility upgrade.
- New smartphone customer providing revenue earlier than expected for fiscal 2015.
- Shares down 43% from 52 week highs.
Astronics Reports Huge Second Quarter, Remains Undervalued
- Second-quarter revenue up 146% due to acquisitions, but organic growth also saw double digits.
- Earnings per share hit by inventory write ups.
- Company remains well positioned to capture aerospace boom.
Taser Shares Undervalued With Double-Digit Growth And Strong Camera Adoption
- Shares of Taser down 26% in 2014 and down over 40% from 52-week highs.
- Strong adoption of AXON cameras continues to boost backlog and recurring revenue.
- International sales ready to heat up with new markets and a new office.
Pinnacle Entertainment: Win With A Casino For Once With This REIT Play
- Shares of Pinnacle Entertainment Undervalued if a REIT is spun out.
- Pressure from Orange Capital will likely lead to REIT.
- Penn National shareholders saw gains of 56% from the REIT announcement to present time.
Sony's Video Game Division Proves Upside And Will Boost Future Pictures Revenue
- Shares down 18% in the last year.
- Majority of business segments seeing growth and improving operating margins.
- Addition of "Uncharted" and "The Last of Us" to movies helps boost strong pipeline.
Sega Sammy Holdings: How Sonic, Alien And Casinos Will Boost This $5 Stock
- Strong video game lineup with Alien Isolation and Sonic Boom.
- Top line sales expected to increase 19% with consumer segment leading the way.
- Japan casino legislation a short- and long-term catalyst with Sega a major winner several possible ways.
- Shares trading down over 20% in 2014 offer substantial upside at this price.
Revolution Lighting Technologies Shares Offer Upside With New Distribution Deals
- Company recently raised second quarter and full year guidance.
- New acquisitions and backlogs adding to fiscal year total revenue.
- New deal with Ganga Hospitality gives access to 12,000 potential customers.
- Launch with Staples.com in August is near term catalyst and gives Revolution another entry point to small businesses.
Time For Time Warner To Get Defensive
- Time Warner needs to make its own acquisition to fend off Twenty First Century Fox.
- CBS offers immediate synergies, including some that aren't being talked about.
- AMC offers a small acquisition that Time Warner could greatly improve, with increased carrier rates.
- Time Warner has exciting road with monetization of DC Comics brand.
Gladstone Land Worth A Look With Shares Trading Below Net Asset Value
- Gladstone shares trading 15% below net asset value.
- Shares are down 25% in 2014.
- Three new acquisitions show strength of portfolio and will lead to increased rents.
- Recent renewals are strong and adding to revenue.
Under Armour's Rumored Work With Samsung Strengthens MapMyFitness Acquisition
- Under Armour and Samsung would form strong duo against Nike and Apple.
- Under Armour paid $150 million for MapMyFitness, a brand that could do extremely well in wearables.
- Footwear and accessories continue to provide strong growth for Under Armour.
Insure Your Pets And Your Portfolio With Trupanion IPO
- Trupanion is increasing market share and growing key financial metrics like revenue and the number of pets insured.
- Less than 1% of pets are insured in the United States and Canada, representing a huge growth opportunity for Trupanion.
- The company's territory managers have a chance to increase veterinarian awareness and recommendation of product.
Covanta: Turning Trash Into Cash For Shareholders
- Rising dividend now represents 5% yield.
- Several upcoming catalysts through new and renewed deals.
- Strong contracted revenue provides safety.
Starz Continues To Look Strong Long Term With Original Programming And 'American Gods' Announcement
- Addition of "American Gods" continues CEO's path to 75 to 85 annual hours of original programming.
- Continued strength in international deals.
- Shift of focus to also appealing to women providing strong numbers, will help upcoming lineup.
- Several shows renewed after posting strong ratings.
American Science & Engineering Has Game Changer With Handheld X-Ray Gun
- World's first handheld x-ray scanner offers huge opportunity for American Science & Engineering.
- Minimal training needed for device, making sales to international customers easier.
- Strong 2014 orders and backlog.
- Shares unchanged in 2014.
Bona Film Group Continues To Be Best Way To Invest In China's Growing Box Office
- Strong upcoming film lineup.
- Investments from Fox, Fosun, and Sequoia Capital.
- Increasing theater count, which will boost overall margins and capitalizes on huge growing Chinese market.
- Could see positive coverage with upcoming IPO of China Film Group.
MusclePharm: 5 Reasons Why Shares Remain Undervalued For Long-Term Investors
- New Deal with Tiger Woods could Accelerate Launch of Dropz energy drink brand.
- FitMiss continues to see retail expansion and gains valuable endorsee in Jen Setler.
- Company trades at less than 1x sales and 11x expected forward earnings per share.
Dreamworks Animation: Felix The Cat, Santa, Netflix, And China All Upcoming Catalysts
- How to Train Your Dragon performing well overseas, market has overreacted to number two debut weekend.
- Strong television revenue and slate of upcoming Netflix shows.
- New details from China joint venture show potential live action films.
Univision's Strong World Cup And Potential Sale To Provide Boost For Grupo Televisa
- Grupo Televisa owns 38% of Univision.
- New regulation worries overblown with growth of television market in Mexico and growing Hispanic population in United States.
- World Cup viewership boosting valuation of Univision and provides great bartering room in bidding war.
OraSure Technologies: HCV Opportunity Huge, Enhances 4 Key Drivers For 2014 And 2015
- OraQuick HCV only FDA-approved test.
- New legislation for baby boomer testing in New York serves as a major catalyst and sets up benefits from other states following lead.
- At-home HIV test remains a game changer and offers market opportunity of over $500 million.
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: Europe
- Coca-Cola HBC is second largest bottler of Coca-Cola branded beverages in the world.
- Puma and Adidas both well represented at 2014 World Cup by players and countries.
- National Bank of Greece and Santander are two banks that were hit hard by the European financial crisis.
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: Africa/Asia
- MTN Group is the largest African telecommunications company and offers great growth with growing mobile penetration.
- Nigeria is now the largest GDP country in Africa, offering several opportunities.
- Shoprite has exposure to several key growth markets.
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: South America
- Brazil companies will get a boost from the 2014 World Cup.
- Arcos Dorados has over 800 McDonald's in Brazil and could be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the World Cup.
- Avianca Holdings and LATAM Airlines both offer exposure to growing aircraft, flights, and infrastructure in South America.
2014 World Cup Investing By Country: North America, Central America, Caribbean
- PriceSmart offers great exposure to Caribbean area and operates similar to Costco.
- Manchester United will have huge sponsorship deals in 2014 from Nike and GM.
- Fomento remains a great pick for a thriving Mexican convenience and beverage market.
Microvision Shares Too Cheap To Ignore With Upcoming 2014 And 2015 Production And Delivery
- New partnership with major global consumer brand strengthens validity of technology.
- Ramping up production on announced deal with Sony.
- Mine of technology and patents in growing field of projectors.
- Delivery to UPS of projectors in third quarter, could quickly lead to additional deals with major global company.
- Delivery of prototype to major global automobile supplier in quarter 2.
Could Theme Parks And Video Games Provide A Lift For Lions Gate Entertainment?
- Lions Gate Entertainment has strong assets that could see demand as theme park rides and attractions.
- Lions Gate partners with Kabam, which has had success with games based on movies before.
- Shares are down 30% from 52-week highs and offer good buying point.
Pizza Inn Holdings Looks Tasty With Growth Of Fast Casual Pie Five Brand
- Pie Five brand offers great growth in hot fast casual pizza market.
- 170 units signed to franchise agreements.
- Pie Five will double its store count by the end of 2014.
- Franchise revenue and increased unit sales at Pie Five locations padding top line sales for Pizza Inn Holdings going forward.