Chris Rodriguez

View Chris Rodriguez's Comments BY TICKER:
  • CMBS Bonds Downgraded on Special Servicing Action [View article]
    just being sarcastic.....
    Oct 29 01:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Real Estate Question of the Day [View article]
    I realize this. It was saying it facetiously. Those areas without dots are mostly no-mans land.

On Sep 28 11:03 AM 2houndz wrote:

> I could draw a map of the interstate system using those dots. Especially
    > across the west.
    > Chris - many of those areas with no dots also have no people. Ever
    > seen the movie "The Coca-Cola Kid"?
    Sep 28 08:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • California's Inland Empire: Thoughts on Unnecessary Retail Building [View article]
    CommProp - contact me if you would like to discuss opportunities. I can't post anything about it here.

On Aug 10 05:12 PM CommProp wrote:

> Chris: good points. Can you give more specifics on subject site?
    > Am working with a couple of private equity groups looking for long-term
    > opportunities.
    Aug 26 07:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Diminishing Value of Home Appraisals [View article]
    Zukadu - You are correct in that I am a broker. Where you are incorrect is in stating that I know nothing about evaluation. I have been involved in over 200 commercial real estate transactions as a broker. I have also purchased, owned and sold numerous commercial properties as a principal as well. I am well aware of how market value is established. I have not once used or looked at appraised value when purchasing a property on my own except to insure that the appraisal did not crater my financing. I don't need (nor do the majority or commercial real estate investors) a third party to tell me how much something is worth. Why do you think appraisals are not done until the end of a transaction? Do you think the buyer and seller are waiting for someone to confirm that their sales price is acceptable? On that note, I have never once seen an appraisal contingency in a purchase and sale agreement for a commercial transaction. If an appraisers opinion of value was so important to the parties, why would they not include such a clause?

Kmi - I am in no way suggesting that the appraisal process is amateurish, simplistic or valueless. I am only saying that appraising property in a market moving this quickly is very difficult and potentially useless at this point. This is why I suggest the stringently conservative underwriting criteria of lenders has more than compensated for the lack of reliable appraised values. As far a brokers being the authoritative voice on values I must say they are damn close. If I am able to take a property and procure one or more ready, willing and able buyers to pay the price I suggest, even if that price seems unreasonable (too high) to the majority of the market, have I not proven or determined a market value? As for self interest, nothing could be further from the truth. I could care less about making an extra couple of thousand dollars by pushing the price of a property one or two hundred thousand dollars higher. My allegiance lies with the party I represent in the transaction.

It should also be noted that the word "Home" was added to the title of this article by Seeking Alpha editors. I do not claim to be an expert in anything related to the resident market or transaction process. That may be where some of your confusion lies.

Thanks for the feedback.