Christopher F. Davis

View Christopher F. Davis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bearish Catalysts Mounting: How I'm Positioning [View article]
    I have to think about that
    Sep 13, 2013. 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bearish Catalysts Mounting: How I'm Positioning [View article]
    Hey you forgot long gold and silver. The reality is though you are receiving a biased sample of my holdings. I write about the most controversial, potential upside/downside holdings. I could write about my AMZN or TSLA trades, or my having held JPM since April 2009, or picking up SLB when it was sub $50.00, or any number of the health care stocks, biotech, semiconductor stocks etc I hold. I dont, because aside from maybe the TSLA trade, the material is, well, somewhat boring. Its why I dont write about bonds, or berkshire hathaway or mcdonalds. Nobody would read.
    Sep 13, 2013. 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Buy Triple Exposure To Gold Miners With NUGT Before It Splits? [View article]
    I got in, rode it for a quick 30% ride, and got out.
    Sep 13, 2013. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Tower: Time To Abandon Ship? [View article]
    Up 5% from my recommendation; its still buyable at these levels.
    Sep 6, 2013. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital: Feeling Like It's Just Not Worth It Anymore? [View article]
    You know I just looked into that NCZ. A cursory glance suggests it is pretty stable in terms of its price and the dividend has been consistent for 5 years. Seems like a winner for income. The only blip was the financial crisis when the dividend was cut and the share price tanked, but otherwise its pretty solid, at first glance
    Sep 6, 2013. 10:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital: Feeling Like It's Just Not Worth It Anymore? [View article]
    Literally choked on my coffee reading this comment
    Sep 6, 2013. 10:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency's Mid-Q3 2013 Book Value Projection And Derivative Portfolio Valuation Analysis - Part 3 [View article]
    Well done here!
    Sep 3, 2013. 02:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Your Mortgage REIT In Serious Trouble If Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac Are Phased Out? [View article]
    Run,

I work at the highest levels of the NYS health department. ACA will bankrupt us. Its a terrible piece of legislation. Ive had to read the bill about 6 times. It easily could have been done in pieces, and should have. NYS will go bankrupt because of this act. For anyone under age 30 reading this, you are better off paying the penalty than buying the expensive insurance in the exchanges that cover only the most basic services.

Regards,
    Chris
    Aug 29, 2013. 10:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Javelin Mortgage: Large Upside Potential In A REIT You Probably Never Heard Of [View article]
    Wattg

I got out of most of these in the fall of 2012.

I didnt start getting back in until after the first 15% drop. Ive pyramided down into them. With the exception of WMC im only down a few points. Thats why I like the pyramid structure it lowers your break even price points. I also hedge with puts/ selling calls. I think what a lot of people do is read a few articles and buy a huge position. this is a mistake. You have to cherry pick at the start and progressivelly pick up more IF you have long-term aspirations in a sector or stock (i.e. greater than 5 year investment). Otherwise, you are just going to trade in which case you can do all sorts of different things beyond the scope of this comment.

Best of luck in your investing.

Regards,
    Chris
    Aug 29, 2013. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Im sorry. Had you read on you would have discovered that when researching reasons for the selloff and comparing NLY and AGNC I came across JMI; a stock with which I was very unfamiliar with. Thanks for taking the time to comment after the first two sentences though. :)
    Aug 28, 2013. 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It is riskier I agree, given JMI has not hedged as much. They are also levered highly too. They did however take a ton of realized losses to rebalance portfolio which did contribute to some of the BV decline (similar for AGNC, NLY and the like).
    Aug 28, 2013. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    WMC and AGNC did as well
    Aug 28, 2013. 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It was all about the sharp rise in oil. Oil/gas are a MAJOR operational expense for the miners. It was more than enough for the miners to get hit hard. I think the miners were looking for a reason to come down after many had seen 20, 30, 50 even 100% increases in last month and a half
    Aug 28, 2013. 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Paying REITs Worth A Hard Look [View article]
    Either sell call options or buy put options.
    Aug 27, 2013. 02:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Trust In TrustCo Bank? [View article]
    JojoPa,

Thank you for reading. Yes it was a typo, I had the decimal out of place. It has been fixed.
    Aug 23, 2013. 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment