Christopher Gonsalves

View Christopher Gonsalves' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Looking Ahead To Electronic Arts' Q3 Earnings [View article]
    If EA pops after this earnings I'm definitely buying puts for Q4. ATVI has a much stronger lineup (Destiny expansions, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Warlords of Draenor expansion, and contuned holiday sales of Skylanders Trap Team) and EA doesn't even have their usual Battlefield iteration to compete with Call of Duty.

Like you pointed out, all of EA's good games came out this quarter (Madden, Fifa, and Sims) so there's a good chance they meet or beat expectations so I'm not sure it's smart to go short pre-earnings, but I sure would like to. I could be a sell the news beat since smart investors can see the lackluster Q4 coming and they could even lower Q4 estimates(not to mention the stock is up 3.4% today on no news).
    Oct 23 06:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Activision: A Likely Winner Of The Holiday Season, Recent Dip A Buying Opportunity [View article]
    I've been playing Destiny for a few week now and I have to say the reviews are not accurate of the entire picture. Yes, the single player story mode isn't good and I stopped playing it before I finished it, but the point is this is overwhelmingly intended to be a multiplayer experience. The 6v6 matches and the Objective game modes are quite addicting and reminiscent of the Halo 2/3 days. Not quite on that game changing level, but decently close and definitely better than any other shooter released this year. Lets also not forget Destiny sell-through was over $325 million worldwide in the game’s first five days so luke warm reviews or not it's definitely going to help EPS.

I can see myself continuing to play Destiny until Advanced Warfare comes out so yes this holiday quarter will easily be won by ATVI. I sold the calls I had picked a couple days ago today, but I play to jump back in again before the end of the month. I was very sad about Titan too, but considering there was never any concrete info on it, i can't be too upset. For the near term it won't affect anything, but they better have another MMO in the works before the end of next year or I'd start to get worried then. They can keep WoW the top subbed MMO for another year or so, but it won't last forever.
    Oct 8 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Activision Blizzard Relying Entirely On Destiny To Fix Things? [View article]
    Yeah, but it seems like the record breaking Destiny sales were a sell the news event. Reminds me of when Take Two had that amazing quarter with GTA5 sales and Carl Icahn dumped all his shares and they left the board.

ATVI has so much going for it, but from now until the next Call of Duty hype really starts i could see it testing 20 again.
    Sep 18 01:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Now is definitely a good time to take some profits if you've been in most of the year, but with that said I think Destiny will break records for fasting selling new IP this week. They've spent a ton on development and marketing, but this is a completely new blockbuster with new rev to add to their already dominant list.

Bungie has one of the best followings in the industry because of the Halo Franchise. I've also seen Instagram and Twitter hastags going nuts the past few days with #Destiny related content.

In my opinion, Destiny, plus its own expansion packs, and a new WoW + Skylanders expansion will give ATVI a record 4th quarter revenue wise, but the run for the stock is getting pretty toppy in the near term.
    Sep 9 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Activision - Going Back To The Future At Gamescom [View article]
    $ATVI is betting big on Destiny. I've seen all the ridiculous advertisements in the NYC Times Square subway...As an Xbox One user, I haven't played the Destiny beta, but I've always been a HUGE fan of Bungie and the Halo Series.

The marketing budget for this game is excessive, but I think the Destiny franchise will make $1 billion dollars in revenue in wayyy less than 1 year. Call Of Duty routinely makes $1 billion in the first few weeks so a glorified new IP like Destiny should make AT LEAST $1 billion in the first 6 months, especially as a cross platform blockbuster game released at the beginning of the holiday season on a new console generarion that's officially 1 year old now and starting to mature.

Disclaimer: I've pre-ordered Destiny for Xbox One and I play Hearthstone on my days off for about 2-3 hours a day
    Aug 17 05:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The World Debt Bubble Is About To Burst [View article]
    Buy bitcoins
    Jun 1 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Worldwide Developer Conference: Here Are Good Things To Know [View article]
    Historically, Apple tends to trade down the day of major events. Primarily due to everything already being known beforehand. With the large run up this week I expect the same thing to happen unless something really unexpected is announced like the iWatch. Do anyone think it's likely they would announce it at WWDC or more likely reserve a seperate event for it?
    May 30 09:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economics Of Bitcoin [View instapost]
    Other research papers on bitcoin:

May 29 08:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wet Seal: Substantial Upside, Stock Has Been Sold Off On Emotion [View article]
    looks like a good deal to me. They stepped up their social media game a lot via Instagram mostly
    May 27 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Blowout Quarter For Activision Blizzard [View article]
    Some possible Titan news?

May 10 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Interpreting Activision Blizzard's Earnings Call: Its Strong Potential [View article]
    Great article Alpha Hunter. What did they say exactly about being open to being acquired, I must have missed that question
    May 8 10:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Graphite One Resources, Massive U.S., Near-Surface, High-Grade Deposit [View article]
    Great article Peter. I've been a Graphite One shareholder since I saw this article:

According to that article, the project is scalable and could have much more than 300 mil metric tons. It has over 4 billion worth of graphite now and could exceed 1 billion metric tons once it's is fully dsicovered
    May 8 05:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Blowout Quarter For Activision Blizzard [View article]
    Hello Hunter,

Thanks for reading. I liked it better when the level 90 boost was going to be free. I haven't played WoW in 5 years, but I was actually considering trying the new expansion if the boost all the way to 90 was free.

In the end, it will probably be more revenue for them, but they are definitely losing out on some potential returning players.

COD in china (which is free to play) will make them a lot of money from microtransactions. It blends all the CoD games, using the favorite maps from all the earlier titles
    May 6 01:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Electronic Arts And Activision Earnings Preview: Digital Streams Should Lead To Margin Expansion [View article]
    I like ATVI a lot more than EA in the long term, but I wouldn't risk shorting EA this time around because Titanfall sold well.

Regardless, I expect ATVI to have an even bigger blowout quarter than EA because of unexpectedly high revenue from Hearthstone. Full year Guidance for ATVI will also likely overshadow EA's guidance. EA cannot stand up to a new call of duty and also Destiny's launch this fall.
    May 5 08:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Blowout Quarter For Activision Blizzard [View article]
    I could write a whole article on their business model with Hearthstone, but one big thing I forgot to mention was the "Curse of Naxxramas" expansion that was announced a couple weeks ago.

Estimated for early Q3 release, it will bring new campaign-style content as well as new cards, once a week, for 5 weeks. The first week will be free for all and the following weeks will cost either a significant amount of in-game gold or real money.

There's over 10 million accounts now, probably 15 mil now w/ iPad launch. Each one of those players likely tried Arena AT LEAST once ($1.99) or bought 1 pack ($2.99). Not even counting the upcoming expansion pack, this is a large amount of PURE PROFIT (doesn't cost anything to sell digital Arena tickets or digital cards) that the Street is not acknowledging.

For Q3, reported in Nov, Curse of Naxxramas could be the main revenue source for the entire quarter, which is usually quiet.
    Apr 30 10:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment