Christopher Lum Lee

View Christopher Lum Lee's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Valuing BlackRock Kelso Capital Corporation [View article]
    I think in the short-term that can fund their dividend. Long-term could be a different story, though. I'm holding in the short-term just to make some income and when the dividend cut comes then I'll sell out.
    Feb 11 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Holdings, Inc. [View article]
    Ahhh, there we go! Thanks for the info, Charlie!
    Feb 10 01:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Holdings, Inc. [View article]
    I don't follow NUT- Mauna Loa, I'm afraid. I do eat their chocolate covered macadamia nuts regularly, though. I tried to look up the info on Yahoo! Finance and on the google but couldn't find anything about that. Could you send me some more information and I can take a look at it and come up with something?
    Feb 9 06:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Holdings, Inc. [View article]
    Links to the different numbers I've used have been posted alongside the numbers. The EPS trailing twelve months (ttm) is a representation of the company's financial performance for a 12-month period.
    Feb 9 06:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The War Between Hawaiian Electric And Solar Heating Up [View article]
    Charlie's right.
    Feb 8 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are There Opportunities In Frontier Markets? [View article]
    ...There went that one. =(
    Feb 6 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Matson's Legal And Financial Woes [View article]
    I'll message you.
    Feb 6 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Matson's Legal And Financial Woes [View article]
    Good thoughts. And yes, I do live in Hawai'i (Honolulu).
    Feb 5 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Matson's Legal And Financial Woes [View article]
    What are your thoughts?
    Feb 3 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Electric Industries [View article]
    I honestly don't see any real growth for HE happening. The American Savings Bank business unit is probably the only element of HE's portfolio that has room to grow because of the variability of the banking business- at least that's my guess. The only way that HE can grow revenues is by raising rates on the existing consumer base. I think solar will eventually become a viable threat to HE however in Hawai'i, there are other players who could affect the outcome: the State Legislature, the Public Utilities Commission, and even the county-level Councils.

I hope that answers your question(s).
    Feb 1 10:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Matson's Legal And Financial Woes [View article]
    Probably.
    Feb 1 03:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Electric Industries [View article]

The list is quite long. Here is the link to the memo from HECO to the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) with the rate schedules.

Jan 31 07:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Matson's Legal And Financial Woes [View article]
    I'll venture to guess that the bells will ring on February 25th. But who knows? I could be wrong.
    Jan 31 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Electric Industries [View article]
    I honestly don't think they ever will raise their dividend.
    Jan 29 07:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuing Hawaiian Electric Industries [View article]
    I live in Honolulu, Hawai'i. I say that to preface my reply. As a consumer, HE is similar to Matson (MATX) where it can raise rates to meet increasing costs. As an investor, I look for news about HE and what I've found over 2013 in the last cycles was that 'no news is good news'. A concern for HE right now is that in the future, a war could go on between HE and the solar industry. But I digress...

HE is a long-term hold only if you're an income-oriented investor. As a trader, the price action is relatively slow. But yes, I do see the cycle continuing. I remember a couple of points over the last 10 years where HE has hit $30 per share and in March/April 2009 when it fell down to $9- but that was with the entire market, so there was more to the story.

I hope that helps!