ChuckJones

View ChuckJones' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    I haven't run the numbers on other companies but they are in the same situation. You rarely see companies pay the tax and bring cash back. Losing 30% plus doesn't make sense unless you are forced to.
    Apr 21 05:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    You are correct that the company isn't highly leveraged but I don't believe Apple can set up an arraignment similar to what you propose. IBM tried something along these lines a few years ago and the ploy got shut down by the IRS. If it could be done you know that companies would have figured it out.
    Apr 21 05:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    While Apple can raise its dividend I do believe the numbers show that the company won't raise it much due to the limits of having to use US based cash.
    Apr 21 05:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's June Quarter Guidance Could Cause A Downdraft In The Shares [View article]
    I like the thought.
    Apr 21 05:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You are correct that I have sold my Apple shares. However I don't agree that the stock can't recover and do well especially with the iPhone 6 larger screen. Margins would have to compress a tremendous amount to get to $25 in EPS. I can see them coming down some but not to the degree that they would have to for your outcome. I also believe that while other products may not generate anywhere close to the revenue growth the iPhone created that they will be positive to the top and bottom line.
    Apr 21 04:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That is true. Overseas money can be used for overseas acquisitions.
    Apr 21 04:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    While the information from Apple was not US specific in its trial with Samsung you may be interested in the information from this article that also contains research from 451 Research whose North American findings I believe reinforce that there is a demand for large screen iPhones in developed countries as well as developing.

Apr 21 04:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    A company can not use foreign money for stock buybacks or dividends.
    Apr 21 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There is always that possibility and I would agree that once the iPhone 6 is either upon us or shipping that the stock could get to your $590 target. And institutional ownership seems to have taken another leg down which is good in the long-term. However, if I am correct on how light guidance could be then the stock should react negatively which would then provide a better return.
    Apr 21 03:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree that it should be a good buying opportunity as the iPhone 6 should have huge pent up demand for a larger screen iPhone being the biggest product that could move the financial needle besides getting in the payments business.
    Apr 21 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hard to say but has some level of support at $480 to $490. However it could fall below that to around $450 to $460. One of the factors that could/should support it will be how much stock Apple could buy back assuming they increase the stock buyback program which I believe they will.
    Apr 21 02:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Due to the situation that guidance can have a very big influence on how Apple (and many stocks) trade it is helpful to analyze it also.
    Apr 21 01:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Hit Apple's Last Two Quarters EPS Results: Here Are My December Quarter Projections [View article]
    Not too surprising given the challenges of hardware business vs. software/Internet. It does solidify the thinking that Google bought Motorola for the patents since they are keeping most of them.
    Jan 30 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you. Just to clarify
    * I was high on my EPS of $14.64 vs. actual of $14.50, off by just under 1% but still high.
    * My $59.8 billion revenue was too high by 4%
    * As you point out my iPhone estimate was way too aggressive. US was weaker than expected and China/NTT DoCoMo didn't make up for it.
    Jan 27 07:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    First let the dust clear a little, maybe only a few hours on Tuesday but while it looks like a bit of an overreaction as I work through my model and look at the details there are a number of negative issues such as North America being down year over year. While there are some positives, probably the biggest one being gross margins stabilizing with a small guide up for next quarter the company is looking at flat revenue and EPS for the next three quarters if not longer unless it brings out some new products that can move the needle.
    Jan 27 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment