ChuckJones

View ChuckJones' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's June Quarter Guidance Could Cause A Downdraft In The Shares [View article]
    While warranty accruals were down 86 basis points sequentially the only helped EPS by $0.33, but were some of the upside.

I agree that Cook seems to be a really good CEO (it does take 5 to 10 years to judge) and could also turn out to be a great one. It would not surprise me to see Ive and his design team turn out great products (but probably won't move the financial needle as much as the iPhone) and one of Cook's main roles is to not get in the way of Ive.

Cook will also shine if he is able to pull off a move into an area such as payments which is a huge market and if Apple can get 20 to 30 basis points of a transaction would be a huge incremental financial benefit.
    Apr 26, 2014. 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    I guess you didn't read almost any of my other articles where I was bullish (or at least seemed to be per readers comments).

This article also didn't talk about products but about Apple's ability to raise its dividend (at least over a multi-year timeframe). Which of course Apple has said they plan to do but it will be interesting to see by how much due to limitations on using overseas cash. Maybe they can get around it by borrowing on the overseas cash or will keep on taking on more debt until there is a tax holiday.
    Apr 24, 2014. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment. You are correct that it is hard to get a handle on the overseas markets.
    Apr 24, 2014. 12:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Always try and learn. It appears the biggest item I was off on was the iPhone strength which was probably driven by overseas demand (which unfortunately is harder to get a handle on). It will be interesting to see if there are some nuggets, especially on gross margins, in the 10-Q.
    Apr 24, 2014. 12:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You are correct that I was certainly wrong this time vs. other times that I have been correct (had the exact EPS number for the June 2013 and September 2013 quarters). There is a saying I learned a long time ago that "he who lives by the crystal ball winds up eating glass sometimes". I'll work to do better next time.
    Apr 24, 2014. 12:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    When one gets new information it is always prudent to think or rethink what you should do. Given the multiple positive items from Apple's results especially the strength of the iPhone business and gross margins (but it will be interesting to see if warranty charges or the absence of them played into the strength) buying the shares is on the radar screen.
    Apr 23, 2014. 07:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment.
    Apr 23, 2014. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very correct that I was way off with the biggest impact coming from iPhones which are doing much better in overseas markets than expected. At the mid-point of revenue guidance it will increase almost 5% year over year and given that they have been towards the high-end of revenue guidance if not exceed it could generate growth of 8% to 10%.
    Apr 23, 2014. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    Not slighted at all. Keep in mind that Apple trades about 10 million shares a day for a market value of $5 billion. I highly doubt that my opinion is going to move the company's shares.
    Apr 23, 2014. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    I doubt that my article on Apple which trades on average 10 million shares a day for over $5 billion in market value is going to move the shares or create a panic in it. Do you also believe that if someone owns the shares they shouldn't put out a positive note? Do you disagree with the analysis?
    Apr 22, 2014. 06:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    You are correct that I owned Apple for a long time (over three years) and that I have sold it over my concern about how the stock could react with its earnings announcement and especially guidance. While I lean to buying it back it will depend on various factors such as its results, guidance and capital return program.
    Apr 22, 2014. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    I haven't run the numbers on other companies but they are in the same situation. You rarely see companies pay the tax and bring cash back. Losing 30% plus doesn't make sense unless you are forced to.
    Apr 21, 2014. 05:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    You are correct that the company isn't highly leveraged but I don't believe Apple can set up an arraignment similar to what you propose. IBM tried something along these lines a few years ago and the ploy got shut down by the IRS. If it could be done you know that companies would have figured it out.
    Apr 21, 2014. 05:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Running Out Of Cash To Raise Its Dividend [View article]
    While Apple can raise its dividend I do believe the numbers show that the company won't raise it much due to the limits of having to use US based cash.
    Apr 21, 2014. 05:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment