Chumpmenudo

View Chumpmenudo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Retired? How To Create A Strong Foundation Of Valuation Under Your Portfolio: Part 2 [View article]
    Chuck:

Great part II, and I agree with blkmtnbear above regarding your rank as an SA author....

I really agree with this contention in your article:

"I contend that the low-risk aspect of investing in this quality business was destroyed by overvaluation. Put differently, Wal-Mart, the low-risk stalwart, had become Wal-Mart, the high-risk stock."

I think many investors fail to recognize, as you state, that volatility and beta are not measures of risk for a long term investor, valuation is. Your WMT example is perfect - it is both a risky investment and a safe investment; just depends on the price you pay!

Taking this thinking a step further, would you agree that holding what was once a "safe" investment into a state of extreme overvaluation is risky?

Apr 23 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    Dear PTI:

Thank you for writing a great article, and sharing your portfolio details and thoughts, this was very informative.

Can you explain your 10 year uptrend in eps rule in more detail? I also use FAST Graphs, so I'm just wondering, is this an average, or are eps increasing every year? Do you tolerate stocks with a decline in eps for one or more years? Does recent performance take precedent over historical eps growth?

Thanks,

Apr 15 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Thanks Eddie, you're pretty productive for guy who is really tired ;-) And yes, I found it helpful like all of your articles.

Apr 15 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Eddie, nice article with good data summaries..... Thought of a couple of questions along the way that I'm too lazy to research myself ;-)

1. Does Buffet rebalance? Or is he pure buy and hold?
    2. Is the heavy concentration in a handful of stocks simply the result of #1? How long as he held his major investments?

The average age of each holding would be an interesting metric.

Thanks for the research,

Apr 15 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Buffalo:

I tend to agree with Nathan...somewhere between 30 - 50 feels much more healthy to me; the internet and tools available today to investors have definitely change things.

incidentally, I checked, and Berkshire has 42 holdings, here is the list:

Apr 7 10:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Realty Income: One Heck Of An Ark That's Prepared For The Storms Ahead [View article]
    Rudester: The two graphs are over a different numbers of years. The P/FFO is the average for the years shown on each graph, so it changes

Apr 4 06:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tupperware Brands The Perfect Dividend Growth Stock For Retirement Portfolios? [View article]
    Ironically, I quoted Chuck in a recent article. Oops

Apr 4 01:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Good research Chuck, thank you for sharing.

Apr 4 12:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Thank you for the kudos wellsc, and I'll try to post a bit more in 2014. I do keep up my blog pretty well, its kind of a financial diary where I can look back at the changes I make the try to remember why the heck I did what I did ;-)

Apr 3 11:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Thanks for the comment BoomBoom;

To look at the history of my holdings, and how they performed through recessions, I use F.A.S.T. Graphs - very useful.

Interesting comment, I've been thinking about back testing the portfolio through a few recessions and see how it compares to the broader indices

Apr 3 11:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Thanks for reading Andy
    Apr 3 11:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Thanks gfmn. I looked at your portfolio, yes similar, but with an additional 40 stocks! Geez

Apr 3 11:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Thanks, and yes, I could envision that. Count me in, sounds like a good idea. And when you're assigned stock gets too overvalued, and its time to trim or sell, you have to recommend a replacement.
    Apr 3 10:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Dear forme3d:

Thanks for reading and your 1st comment! Welcome to SA. The portfolio I've assembled in this article is in an IRA, so dividends aren't taxed until I start making withdrawals in retirement. I also have a taxable account, in which I also hold many dividend paying stocks, along with some pure growth stocks, and some sector specific ETFs.

Without knowing your individual situation, its hard to render advice. But if advisors are telling you to avoid companies that pay dividends, you're missing out on some great investments.

Keep reading SA, especially the dividend and income articles, and you'll learn a lot very quickly.

Best,

Apr 3 06:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Focused On Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    Thanks Miz, will do (unless it becomes too embarrassing)
    Apr 3 06:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment