Chumpmenudo

View Chumpmenudo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Dividend Growth Investing Mindset [View instapost]
    Thanks Chowder, good list (I own all of these in some account or another ;-) CVX and T are the ones I like best based on valuation and good yield. I like KMI, but my son also started a taxable account, and KMI was one of the first additions...

Oct 3 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Investing Mindset [View instapost]
    Hey Chowder:

My 18 year old son just started college. This past summer, he worked in a surf shop, and earned a few thousand bucks... I've convinced him to put $1,500 into a Roth IRA, which he has opened, and done.

Do you have any recommendations for his first stocks...I was thinking 3 names to get started, perhaps T would be a good candidate?

Best,

Oct 2 02:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Investing Mindset [View instapost]
    Nice blog Chowder, thank you. For me, your key sentence is:

"A dividend growth investor understands that if a company is solid enough to continue paying and raising the dividend, capital appreciation will follow."

For me, still accumulating, I use dividend yield, dividend growth, and the ccc as selection criteria. Too, I find the compounding from reinvested dividends has a "calming" effect (on me) in stormy markets...

Sep 29 07:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth - The Stock Selection [View instapost]
    I also like Praxair in the industrial gas space, but they're both overpriced and remain on my watch list :-(

Sep 11 04:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Finding Stocks For The 2014 Homestretch [View article]
    Hello Jeff, great update, thank you.

I found your comment that long term investing does not necessarily mean buy and hold interesting. That coupled with your response to Kolpin above, leads to my question.

Have you adjusted your entry points and exit points (relative to your chosen valuation metrics) vs. say 2012? It seems to me there is a PE expansion underway vs. the six year historical norm. Assuming yes, how do you estimate the proper valuation for your stocks if you can no longer use recent history as your guide? Are you reverting to pre-recession multiples, or are you simply predicting the future? ;-)

Best,

Sep 8 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yield On Cost: A Vitally Important Consideration For Retired Investors [View article]
    Dear Chuck:

Thank you for the real life example, I learned quite a bit here. Not just how you used the YOC metric to make your case to "hold," but the size of the portfolio and diversification you chose were quite interesting as well.

I hope you will consider publishing more articles based on your actual case studies, all with different investment objectives.

Kind regards,

Sep 5 08:08 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DVK:

Great point, I love the idea that "holding" is the action you are choosing to take! I often take that action.....

Sep 5 08:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tupperware Brands The Perfect Dividend Growth Stock For Retirement Portfolios? [View article]
    Chuck, have you decided to invest in TUP since you originally penned the article? I bought a small position after you wrote this, then built a full position on the recent weakness.

I like the long term prospects of the company, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Best,

Aug 29 02:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    Good article RAS, really like the spreadsheet analysis. Would be interesting to see how the options compare when you reinvest the after tax income at age 62 into your dividend growth portfolio until age 70....suspect taking the money early is an even better option...

Best,

Aug 27 11:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valmont Industries: A Series Of Growth Opportunities Fit Company Strategy Perfectly [View article]
    Good article, thank you, and good comments.

Best,

Chump (long VMI)
    Aug 26 12:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Catching Up With The DGI Lite DiviDogs [View article]
    How did the Dog returns compare to your real IRA portfolio? Or shouldn't I ask.....

Aug 12 06:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Catching Up With The DGI Lite DiviDogs [View article]
    Thanks for the update Miz, seems like your strategy works pretty well.

Take care,

Aug 12 06:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors - Mind Your Own Business [View article]
    Good answer Eddie, I can tell you probably struggle with the same dilemma ;-) Since I started using FASTGraphs a few years ago now, my selling decisions have gotten much better. When a position get large in my portfolio due to a long period of good performance, I no longer automatically trim, or "cut the flower." I repeat the valuation I performed when buying originally, and see if its now "dangerously" overvalued. If not, then I let it go. In my current "rules" I trim down to a full or 2/3 size position if I think the valuation gets dangerous...that way I can avoid inevitable seller's remorse. But if its a great business, I plan never to close the position entirely....

Aug 12 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors - Mind Your Own Business [View article]
    Hello Eddie:

This was another great article, I wish you'd publish more frequently!

Your article highlights a dilemma for me; I agree about buying great businesses, and always try to do so. But on the other hand, do you think it's possible to grow too attached to your great business? Looking at your KO example, it seem obvious (with my 20/20 hindsight) that the company's valuation got way out of whack back in very late 90's reaching a PE of over 45, and then went into a long period of price correction. If KO's PE got anywhere near that high today, I'd be a seller of my great business! I try not to grow too attached to my investments so I can evaluate them rationally, but it can be very difficult with stocks that have performed well for me (WAG comes to mind).

Best,

Aug 11 09:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 11 Increases Expected By The End Of September [View article]
    Thank you David.