Clayton Reeves

View Clayton Reeves' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Baidu Reports A Strong Quarter, Faces Headwinds [View article]
    Talking about the traditionally high relative value that Baidu has commanded. Price "premium" was probably not the best phrase to use - my apologies! I do agree that by some valuations you can make a strong case that it is trading at a discount.

Thanks for reading!
    Jul 24, 2012. 04:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Android Formula: Winning Or Losing For Google? [View article]
    I agree with the graph comment - who provides the best mobile data then, ComScore?

I definitely think that the two will coexist. MacOS and Windows have coexisted for years. I just think the people writing off Android as a failure (read: mostly AAPL fanboys) are cutting the OS a bit short. It's still early in the game, as you say.

Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 03:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Android Formula: Winning Or Losing For Google? [View article]
    Hey Kenn, great article! I agree that Android might be a better stand alone product, but it simply doesn't have the revenues to stand on it's own right now. I think in order to be successful in the way I expect it to be successful, it will have to lean on Papa Google for awhile, however that might irk the traditional Google investors.

Thanks for reading!
    Jul 24, 2012. 03:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Android Formula: Winning Or Losing For Google? [View article]
    Not much argument here - but I'm not saying that Apple is a bad investment (despite the comments that seem to think so). I think Apple is a phenomenal company. I also agree that this gusher you speak of can be a curse if the company managing it refuses to find more of them, but remember that this cash cow was not "handed" to them, but rather won in rather convincing fashion over hundreds of competitors. Then, they monetized it beautifully.

Hopefully they can apply that same drive and monetization to this, although I agree they've struggled to find their stride in areas other than search.

Thanks for reading!
    Jul 24, 2012. 03:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Android Formula: Winning Or Losing For Google? [View article]
    Sorry about that - I believed the sophisticated readers of SeekingAlpha could read the numbers and realize that the graph was designed to mostly show company names clearly at the expense of being exactly to scale. Anyways, if you don't take the time to read a graph's labels, even if it is exactly to scale, you can't expect to understand the data behind the visualization.

Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Android Formula: Winning Or Losing For Google? [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. Those questions are designed to feed into the rest of the segment - where I explain why I believe they are doing so. I'm not asking the world to answer them!

Appreciate your context on the scaling, maybe they should work on that. You'll also notice that true to scale, Android would cover more than half of that graphic, and Apple only 1/3.

Sure someone might have introduced a competitive mobile OS... but who has the cash flow and technological know how to produce, support and constantly improve the platform? I'm saying that if an inferior company produced the OS to compete with Apple, they would have been smashed, and Apple would have soaked up more market share at the expense of the overall growth in that market. Also, most companies would not be as able to absorb the conditions that Google must accept when putting their OS onto other companies' hardware.

Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Android Formula: Winning Or Losing For Google? [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, Common. I agree that it will be a long haul, but there will be a reward a the end of the tunnel. We'll just have to see how long the tunnel is.

Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco: Are Job Cuts Primer For Success Or More Sign Of Ruin? [View article]
    I'm not sure there are any nails in Cisco's coffin yet, but I agree, the Nicira purchase is just another sign that traditional switching and routers don't have long on this earth.

Having said that, companies are notoriously slow in terms of updating their network infrastructure in response to new technologies, so I think Cisco has plenty of time to milk some more from their cash cow. I just don't know if they possess the innovation to provide networking services to companies ten years from now when the udder is dry.

Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco: Are Job Cuts Primer For Success Or More Sign Of Ruin? [View article]
    What do you think will spark that 50% appreciation? That's the key, isn't it? Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco: Are Job Cuts Primer For Success Or More Sign Of Ruin? [View article]
    The more I read about their dilutive stock practices and the lethargic nature of his management over the last ten years, the more I'm inclined to agree. It's SUCH an attractive valuation... I'm just not sure what provides the kick it needs to appreciate. Thanks for reading.
    Jul 24, 2012. 02:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today In Commodities: Corrections, They Are A-Coming [View article]
    Why do you see correction in grains? I see you refer to it repeatedly, but what reasons do you have for a correction other than the price being higher than it was 2 months ago? Not saying there won't be a correction, but wondering why you're so sure when the Midwest is baking at 100+ degrees and water rights are getting stressed.
    Jul 18, 2012. 11:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple's Stock Is Grossly Overvaluing The Company's Free Cash Flow [View article]
    I'd say AAPL has more like ~32% of smartphone market. Not that it is necessary for your argument, just an observation.
    Jul 5, 2012. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Capital's Jim Paulsen would not exactly welcome QE3: "We have created a very bad precedent… The financial markets whine and policy officials jump. The Fed has become the Pavlov’s dog of the stock market, and this is a horrible precedent for policy makers."  [View news story]
    Well said
    Aug 25, 2011. 05:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • On Cisco's Restructuring Challenges: Company Is Headed In The Right Direction [View article]
    Haha, sarcasm noted and appreciated. I can't speak to the individual IQ of those two, as I haven't had the opportunity to meet them. Some of those thoughts on the initial iPhone were shared by many (lack of keyboard, exorbitant pricing, poor battery life, etc.).

However, I would argue that a move from more people to fewer in the decision making process will make grabbing opportunities easier. Luckily, Cisco doesn't have to rely on her prowess in the mobile phone sphere to be successful.
    Aug 22, 2011. 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QE3 On The Way? [View article]
    Agreed, if QE3 was being priced we would've seen an equity/commodity rebound... if that pricing (read: up up up) happens today (which it might) then expect some carnage if Bernanke doesn't click "Buy" on Friday.
    Aug 22, 2011. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment