Clean Energy Intel

View Clean Energy Intel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Solar: Taking Some Profits On A Blistering Trade [View article]
    Once solar gets to grid parity growth in the industry will be baked in the cake. Policy supports solar via regulation (Renewable Portfolio Standards in many states) and when the economics offers grid parity utilities will embrace solar in a major way - to run alongside base load provided by fossil fuels.
    Feb 11, 2012. 04:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar: Taking Some Profits On A Blistering Trade [View article]
    Thanks for the info Windsun. Much appreciated.

The one positive than may be ahead is that the dramatic fall in spot polysilicon prices seen in the last year is yet to fully feed through into contract prices. I guess that means that as they do, it will either help margins to rebuild or it will allow another leg down in final module prices. Probably a bit of both.
    Feb 11, 2012. 03:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar: Taking Some Profits On A Blistering Trade [View article]
    Thanks Don. As I mentioned above, I think you and Windsun may also be right - the next dip could be a very interesting buy.
    Feb 10, 2012. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar: Taking Some Profits On A Blistering Trade [View article]
    windsun - don't disagree with you on buying the next dip. Could be very interesting.
    Feb 10, 2012. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another EV Survey Cites Range Anxiety - Tesla Still Looks Like A Buy [View article]
    Tom - couldn't agree more. Cheers.
    Feb 3, 2012. 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed, my friend.
    Feb 3, 2012. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    tesla-gonna-tank - Since you seem to be having trouble getting anything straight, let me simplify it for you -

people worried about range anxiety
    people less open to buying BEVs with limited range
    Tesla has range of up to 300 miles
    people create niche market for Tesla product with much less range anxiety

Makes clear sense unless you're paid not to see sense.
    Feb 3, 2012. 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dag - thanks. On AONE, I've been recommending not being invested for some time. Of course, they supply battery packs for the plug-in hybrid Fisker Karma. Obviously, no range anxiety there.

However, AONE's deal with GM is critical to their hopes of mass production and that deal is for a pure BEV.

That said, AONE has been cheap for some time. I'm not long but I don't think there's much downside. I guess I'm agnostic at these prices.
    Feb 3, 2012. 01:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would hope you're right. The cautious investor in me thinks it might take a few years of seeing pure BEVs on the streets before mainstream consumers start to exhibit less range anxiety.

That doesn't meant here won't be a market but it looks likely to be slow moving.

Meanwhile, my main point is that the clear pure play is Tesla - particularly because the Model S offers a range of up to 300 miles. That plus fast charging creates an interesting proposition in the luxury auto market.
    Feb 3, 2012. 01:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave - agreed. The oil situation could shift perceptions quickly.

My bottom line from an investment perspective was really just that Tesla has the added benefit of being much less exposed to the range anxiety issue. Though of course for the luxury market only.
    Feb 3, 2012. 06:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave - thanks for your insights. On the issue of range, I tend to agree with you on the realities of using an BEV as a second car. However, I think that range anxiety is a very real psychological barrier.

I think the fact that the Deloitte Gen Y Survey (18-31 yr olds) showed a very large 59% of respondents in favor of some kind of alternative powertrain - but only 2% in favor of BEVs - tells a story.

It'll take some time - with people slowly getting used to seeing on the road - before that changes,
    Feb 3, 2012. 06:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Stock Collapses But Looks Massively Oversold [View article]
    Looks like the conference call calmed things down quite a bit.

They also provided some supportive statistics on reservations for the Model S - which were at 8k at the end of 2011. Also the Model S signature Series is now sold out for the current year.

Jan 17, 2012. 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Stock Collapses But Looks Massively Oversold [View article]
    For anyone interested, my take on the Tesla conference call -

Jan 17, 2012. 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Stock Collapses But Looks Massively Oversold [View article]
    Also, for anyone interested, we have now launched our new web site -

Jan 16, 2012. 05:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Stock Collapses But Looks Massively Oversold [View article]
    Tesla has announced that the company will be having a conference call and webcast before the market open on Tuesday to discuss personnel changes -

Jan 16, 2012. 05:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment