Clint Edgington

View Clint Edgington's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Let's Talk About SAEX, Baby: Bull Vs. Bear Debate On SAExploration [View article]
    A Classy response, no doubt, but I think there is still one key critical question:

Is this a business that will have major lumps in it as 2013 Q3 had and we should therefore model those in on a going forward basis, or was 2013 Q3 truly a unique one time event that we should ignore?

I am long, and Q4 was an important quarter, no doubt. If it's a one-off event, this thing is cheap. If it's not a one-off event, I don't find it to be that cheap.

I understand that the line tangled up in the propeller thing seemed like a fluke, but when SAEX's selling proposition is that they enjoy high margins because they deal in topographies that are difficult and uncertain, it seems to me that part in parcel to that comes more surprises.

Just my thoughts. FD long
    Apr 5 04:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    HI Mike, what's your take on the earnings restatement that they discussed? In my mind it's a forgiveable mistake for a newly public firm but I'd love to hear both yours and Christopher Wallace's thoughts on it as well.

Also, I wasn't able to listen in on the conference call- did anybody? Any additional color anyone would be willing to share?

FD: long
    Mar 19 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Awilco Drilling's Big Undervaluation Makes It A Juicy Acquisition Target [View article]
    Good thought User 9221031. Any idea what the variable costs to keep deep water rigs running in mid-water environment? I get your point that it wouldn't recoup total costs- but in my mind the operators would put them in mid-water environments if they could offset variable costs and potentially contribute to overhead a bit. I have no idea what those costs would be however...
    Feb 27 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Page 15 of their investor presentation just out seems to address this issue. "Limited Influx of Rigs to the UK and Limited Orderbook should kee pthe market in balance" - in it they focus solely on Midwater...
    long
    Feb 25 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred Stocks With A Pop [View article]
    got the idea from L. Sigurd: http://bit.ly/1lJ4jJV

Good starter on his blog: http://bit.ly/1lJ4jJX
    Feb 13 10:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred Stocks With A Pop [View article]
    Great thoughts Chris. I'm all in on GPT preferreds, but should start doing some homework on the others! Anyone here thought about Hovnanian preferreds? Looks to be further out on the risk spectrum as a broken, non-cumulative preferred. I keep meaning to get around to it but can't scratch the time together...
    Feb 13 08:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Special Situations Alert: Details Behind Why I Bought NuPathe Inc. [View article]
    Great idea, and I hate to troll on your article with a nitpicky thought process question; But, if the true amount invested is $.45 (and with Teva, I agree that they're 'money good' and we should think of it as $.45); but wouldn't a consistent thought process be that the real profit and loss figures would be:

Zero milestones: Profit/Loss ($450) Profit/Loss %: (100%)

If we're going to give the P&L % for the winning outcomes off the lower $.45 capital base we need to do the same for the losing outcome. Doesn't change the thought process, but when I think of upsides and downsides it does change things a bit.
    Jan 28 09:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everyday Arbitrage Forum [View instapost]
    Hi Special Situations, I do believe that you'd need to have a business, as I don't think they'd offer two personal accounts. They would be two separate accounts if you had one personal and one business, however, they would link to one frequent flier number. Here's the real expert re: this play: http://bit.ly/1fNn4g7
    Jan 19 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everyday Arbitrage Forum [View instapost]
    Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and putting in my r&d file ("rip off and duplicate")

I'm not sure I even know the definition of arbitrage these days, but these are a few hacks I'm currently employing;
    1.). Visa southwest credit cards offering 50,000 southwest miles after you make 2k of purchases in first 3 months. Get one personally and for you business and you'll get 100k on points plus the 6k in spending. Get another 4k spending and you'll have 110k. Why do you care about 110k miles? After 110k miles you earn the companion pass, which allows a companion that you predetermine to go on any flight that you go on for free for the rest of that calendar year and for the following year.

What to buy? 2k for biz and personal goes pretty quickly, but here's an idea
    2) forever stamps- going up 6% "temporarily".

In addition, I'll generally make online purchases through a web portal such as upromise to get 2-5% off. Register your credit cards, and by the end of the year you'll be getting 8% rebates when you dine out at most restaurants (at least in my area).
    Jan 18 06:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Closed-End Fund Forum [View instapost]
    Thanks Robin- that's very helpful!
    Jan 14 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Closed-End Fund Forum [View instapost]
    Chris- great idea for a forum.

Is anyone familiar with any tool that allows you to set alerts on CEFs based on discounts? For example, if a discount widens to x% an email is shot to you?
    Jan 14 09:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Closed-End Fund Forum [View instapost]
    I see Karpus owns 5%, do we have any public indications to whom may own the 10% that's required to move the open-end discussion to vote?
    Jan 14 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Spare [View instapost]
    Congrats!
    Jan 7 02:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is The Largest Position That I Have Ever Taken? [View instapost]
    Gotcha, so you purchased puts (and planned to somewhat maintain that exposure until the idea played out a bit) at about .5% of the portfolio, which obviously controlled a much higher nominal amount of Yen. That makes sense and answers my question, thanks!
    Dec 19 01:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is The Largest Position That I Have Ever Taken? [View instapost]
    HI Chris-may I ask what % of the portfolio you committed to your "largest position"? How do you think through position sizing of options? I struggle with this thought as their is some inherent leverage in them...
    Dec 19 01:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment