Clinton Holmes

View Clinton Holmes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Jack Daniel's Is Creating A Competitive Advantage For Brown-Forman [View article]
    Thanks for the comment AlessandroDiRoma. I agree, 5 years isn't a good barometer. In my original article explaining the method, see below, I wrote, "...the more years of the data the better..."

Jan 12 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Quick Picks For The Benjamin Graham Defensive Investor [View article]
    For those interested, the book can be found on Amazon here:
    Jan 12 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazing Returns: Velti, Alcatel-Lucent, Alpha Natural Resources [View article]
    I figured your order sizes were large enough to offset the cost, but just wanted to double check. Thanks for the interesting read. Look forward to hearing how you do moving forward.
    Jan 6 08:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Method For Investors To Identify Companies With Competitive Advantages [View article]
    Chair Force,

Thanks for the comment. The intent of this article is to show a method for identifying companies that have a competitive advantage. While I agree with you in the sense that technology companies, if spending too much on R&D, can put their long term economics at risk, that does not mean they don't currently enjoy a competitive advantage. It is up to the individual investor to decide if they think the competitive advantage will last based on the their knowledge of the business.
    Jan 6 05:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Tony,

Good article and congratulations on the large return. That is something to feel good about regardless of whether it was luck or skill.

One thing I'm interested is how much was spent on brokerage fees over the period? I think will probably still see you had a sizeable return, but it seems like their was a high frequency of trading, so I'm guessing they aren't minuscule.
    Jan 6 09:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    This an interesting point streetflame. I honestly hadn't thought about it in the past, but it does seem like it could be a helpful indicator. I'll take a look at the metric and see if I can put some criteria around it.

Best Regards,
    -Clinton
    Jan 6 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment Peter. I think there is some value to comparing to the market as a whole because some industries are far more competitive than others (think male razors vs. airlines). Ideally you want to find an industry with less competition and then find the company within that industry that has the biggest competitive advantage by comparing to the other companies in the industry.

Hope that helps,
    -Clinton
    Jan 6 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I was able to review the Qualcomm quickly last night, check out the post here:
    Jan 5 11:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    For those interested in the book I referenced above, it can be found on Amazon here:
    Jan 4 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    One thing I forgot to point out, is Intel does have a high R&D expense. I personally felt comfortable with this based on my research of the companies innovation program and its ability to continue to bring innovation to the market. From a earnings perspective, I felt the higher R&D expense was offset by the low SGA expense. Others might not be comfortable with taking this risk.

Best,
    -Clinton
    Jan 4 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    JPV,
    Thanks for your comment. I think one thing I really took away from your comment is that a competitive advantage does not guarantee favorable long term economics. For this reason, I think it becomes ever more important for investors to really make sure they understand the business before making an investment; that this the only way they will be able to know if a competitive advantage is at risk of diminishing.

One thing I want to clarify is the reason for my selection of Apple. While I agree fundamentally Apple is an innovation company and will need to continue to innovate to stay competitive I don't think you can argue that Apple hasn't had a competitive advantage in the market place of the last 5 years - just look a the penetration of iPhones and iPads in the market place. Since the intent of the article was to showcase the method, I felt Apple was a good pick.

In has been a few months since I have checked some of these stocks and I hope to do posts on them for Seeking Alpha in the near future, but the following companies meet majority if not all of the criteria as well: McDonalds, Coke Cola, Medtronic, Wells Fargo, Discover Financial Services, and Procter & Gamble.

Best Regards,
    -Clinton
    Jan 4 04:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Glad I could help rcpatrick5443.
    Jan 4 04:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Joe,

I really like Intel. I first discovered it using this methodology and eventually initiated a long position after doing some additional research on how the company makes it's money and the quality of the management.

Best,
    -Clinton
    Jan 4 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    tdolan0625,

I'd be glad to look at it over the week. I'll try and get an article up on Monday.

Best Regards,
    -Clinton
    Jan 4 04:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Quick Picks For A 2013 Recession [View article]
    Thanks for the comment jlotz1017, that is valuable input. You should comment on the follow up article I wrote about the 2 railroads near the the Mississippi River fstand to profit from the lower levels:
    Jan 3 05:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment