Clinton Holmes

View Clinton Holmes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • 2 Railroad Stocks Set To Profit On Mississippi River [View article]
    Little_Axe,

I agree with you in being cautious. UNP has seen a tremendous growth spurt and I would recommend slowly entering a position if you are considering UNP as an investment. As I explained in my article 5 quicks picks for a 2013 recession (http://seekingalpha.co...) railroads tend to get hit hard when demand for commodities slumps, so any hiccups early in 2013 could cause the stock to decline.

-Clinton
    Jan 2, 2013. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Railroad Stocks Set To Profit On Mississippi River [View article]
    Daniel,

You make an excellent point about the important of the rail going into the grain growing area vs. following the existing path for travel. I would recommend prudent investors investigate this point further before making any investment decisions.

-Clinton
    Jan 2, 2013. 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Quick Picks For The Benjamin Graham Defensive Investor [View article]
    Ahh yup, that would explain the difference. Glad I could help.
    Jan 2, 2013. 05:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Quick Picks For The Benjamin Graham Defensive Investor [View article]
    jmorgan102 -

The price to book value ratio I used was from ycharts.com, which had it at 1.49. (http://bit.ly/WeU6pp)

If you corrected from some of the accounting magic in your calculation, your number could be more accurate.

As for the Graham number showing it is undervalued, Serenity is spot on. The super low P/E of HFC compensates for the higher P/B

Hope this helps and would love to hear more about how you arrived at your P/B.

Best,
    -Clinton
    Jan 2, 2013. 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Railroad Stocks Set To Profit On Mississippi River [View article]
    It is definitely a valid concern. Despite what people my say, I don't think any one really knows which way the economy is going. I recommend taking it slow. If the economy picks up, to rcpatrick5443's point above, the railroads will do very will, if it continues to slow down, I believe the railroads will too. Net, play it slow, maybe start a dollar cost averaging approach if your interested in UNP or KSU.

Best,
    -Clinton
    Jan 2, 2013. 07:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Railroad Stocks Set To Profit On Mississippi River [View article]
    Joe -

I'd love to hear which companies you go with if any.

-Clinton
    Jan 2, 2013. 07:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Quick Picks For The Benjamin Graham Defensive Investor [View article]
    @Serenity,

Serenity's screener was one of the sources I consulted when writing this article. I have requested the article be edited to include a link to screener home page.

I'll make sure to include Serenity as a reference if ever consulted in the future.

Best Regards,
    -Clinton
    Jan 1, 2013. 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Quick Picks For The Benjamin Graham Defensive Investor [View article]
    @Serenity -

Your screener was one of the sites I consulted in writing this article. My apologies for not including a link to the site originally. I've had the article updated to include a link back to your site.

I really enjoy reading your articles and will do a better job in the future if I site your pages.

Hope there are no hard feelings,
    -Clinton
    Jan 1, 2013. 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Quick Picks For A 2013 Recession [View article]
    @Dyjech,
    Thanks for the comment! That is really interesting point. Where did you hear about this? I'd love to research it and include it in future updates.

Thanks!
    -Clinton
    Jan 1, 2013. 01:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Buy Gulf Resources [View article]
    Many strong warning signs of fraud were mentioned above. One thing know one mentioned is that the stock changed symbols in the last year or so. The stock used to trade under the symbol GRFE. In April of 2011 Glaucus Research Group distributed a report, which can be seen here: http://bit.ly/PXw2Jv. The report claims, among other things, that Gulf Resources commissioned to very large capital expenditure projects to funnel money out of the company. After dropping more than 50% and denying the allegations the company changed symbols to GURE.

Overall, the company is not a sounds investment and I would recommend cutting your losses.
    Jul 15, 2012. 10:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment