Clinton Holmes

View Clinton Holmes' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Wells Fargo - Fundamentally Strong And Offers 4.5%-8.8% Average Annual Return [View article]
    Glad you liked it Bizfinder!
    Feb 4 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: An Alternative To Yum? [View article]
    Continued pressure for YUM: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Feb 4 07:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build-A-Bear: Trading At 60% Of Book Value But Still A Short [View article]
    No problem - just trying to make it easier for a follow contributor :)
    Jan 31 08:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rknecht,

That is a good point. My estimate only looked at an annualized return based on the capital gain. In the future I will include dividends in my analysis. By my quick back of the napkin calculation, you would get close to $14/share of dividends over the next 10 years or roughly another 3%.

Thanks for the comment!
    -Clinton
    Jan 31 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jclyak -

Glad you enjoyed the analysis and your spot on. I like to keep my articles more on the conservative side because I don't want my readers to buy on speculation. That said, I do think their is a case for WFC seeing it's P/E and NIM climb back 2006 levels of 12-15 and 4.83%.

Thanks for the input, always helps to hear another investor's perspective,
    -Clinton
    Jan 30 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market recap: The Dow continued its climb toward 14,000, sparked by Pfizer's earnings beat and offsetting weak consumer confidence data. The Nasdaq lagged, as VMware, BMC and Seagate issued disappointing guidance. The energy sector set the pace following strong earnings from refiner Valero; crude oil topped $97.50 on Mideast unrest and supply concerns. [View news story]
    Think we will see a flash crash or a new resistance level?
    Jan 29 10:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More on Amazon's (AMZN) Q4: The company swung back from its Q3 loss as North America sales rose 23% Y/Y to $12.175B and International sales gained 21% to reach $9.093B. Growth in the company's Electronics segment outpaced Media segment sales. Free cash flow decreased 81% to $395M for the trailing twelve month period compared to a year ago with real estate outlays factoring in. For Q1, the company sees $15.0B-$16.6B in revenue and expects profit to fall in a range of -$285M to $65M. A conference call is scheduled for 5:00 EST. AMZN changes direction, now  +3.2% AH. (PR[View news story]
    Clearly the people investing in Amazon at this point know something I don't....
    Jan 29 09:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build-A-Bear: Trading At 60% Of Book Value But Still A Short [View article]
    Interesting article Josh - very well written. You might be interested in using Guru Focus to get financial data in the future - most of it is free to access and you get up to the last 10 years with ease.

Best Regards,
    -Clinton
    Jan 29 09:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jack Daniel's Is Creating A Competitive Advantage For Brown-Forman [View article]
    Thanks for the comment AlessandroDiRoma. I agree, 5 years isn't a good barometer. In my original article explaining the method, see below, I wrote, "...the more years of the data the better..."

Jan 12 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Quick Picks For The Benjamin Graham Defensive Investor [View article]
    For those interested, the book can be found on Amazon here:
    Jan 12 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazing Returns: Velti, Alcatel-Lucent, Alpha Natural Resources [View article]
    I figured your order sizes were large enough to offset the cost, but just wanted to double check. Thanks for the interesting read. Look forward to hearing how you do moving forward.
    Jan 6 08:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Method For Investors To Identify Companies With Competitive Advantages [View article]
    This an interesting point streetflame. I honestly hadn't thought about it in the past, but it does seem like it could be a helpful indicator. I'll take a look at the metric and see if I can put some criteria around it.

Best Regards,
    -Clinton
    Jan 6 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment Peter. I think there is some value to comparing to the market as a whole because some industries are far more competitive than others (think male razors vs. airlines). Ideally you want to find an industry with less competition and then find the company within that industry that has the biggest competitive advantage by comparing to the other companies in the industry.

Hope that helps,
    -Clinton
    Jan 6 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    For those interested in the book I referenced above, it can be found on Amazon here:
    Jan 4 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    One thing I forgot to point out, is Intel does have a high R&D expense. I personally felt comfortable with this based on my research of the companies innovation program and its ability to continue to bring innovation to the market. From a earnings perspective, I felt the higher R&D expense was offset by the low SGA expense. Others might not be comfortable with taking this risk.

Best,