CMI Research

View CMI Research's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Production At Rio Tinto's Bingham Canyon Mine [View article]
    "Rio shares extended gains after the results were released and were up 2.5 per cent at $63.20 in afternoon trade.
    Rio's second biggest division is copper, which had been hampered by a wall slide in April at the Kennecott mine in Utah.
    That slide was expected to reduce the company's full year copper guidance by 100,000 tonnes, but Rio today said it was repairing those problems faster than expected."
    Oct 15 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson - 2 Strategies To Profit [View article]
    I probably didn't explain that as succinctly as I wanted.

My thoughts are that anything management could do for near-term capital gains has been done. So short term investors would be better off taking their profits and looking elsewhere. Long-term investors, on the other hand, could take this opportunity to start to build a position (while collecting a good dividend).
    Sep 4 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mobile Ad Market Giants [View article]
    Sure, I'll shamelessly use Wikipedia's definition as it's simple and easiest to understand:

Click-through rate (CTR) is a way of measuring the success of an online advertising campaign for a particular website as well as the effectiveness of an email campaign by the number of users that clicked on a specific link. The click-through rate is the number of times a click is made on the advertisement divided by the total impressions (the times an advertisement was served)
    Sep 4 12:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM - Continued Struggles In The Cloud [View article]
    Apologies for the delay, slipped my mind...

This was a direct quote from the August Credit Suisse report in which IBM was downgraded. I don't believe I can post analyst reports on the site, but here is a link to an article referencing it (or, just do a web search and you'll see it reference quite a bit as the share price dropped considerably thereafter): http://on.wsj.com/17KBo4k
    Sep 3 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM - Continued Struggles In The Cloud [View article]
    Aug 30 01:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM - Continued Struggles In The Cloud [View article]
    I won't have access to my personal computer until tonight, but I'll pull the data from my IBM research folder and will post ASAP.
    Aug 29 03:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amgen: Onyx Acquisition Adds To Long-Term Attractiveness [View article]
    I agree. It's always an alarm bell when shareholders of the acquirer talk about how the deal was struck at a "very fair" price, usually signals that they were able to underpay...
    Aug 28 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo: A Big 'Yes' From The Investment Guru [View article]
    They acquired an additional 1.1%, I believe the total ownership stake is 8.7%.
    Aug 27 05:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo: A Big 'Yes' From The Investment Guru [View article]
    Yikes! Thanks for catching that - it should be 8.29. I'll get that fixed.
    Aug 27 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: Where It's Going Next [View article]
    Thanks!
    Aug 14 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: Where It's Going Next [View article]
    Thanks for the update winningtrader. When I first I came across the data that reported a 25% decline in Indian demand, I assumed there must be some follow-on impact in the black market. I'm sure any data sources would be, understandably, vague; but do you know of anything that would provide a clearer picture on 'true' Indian consumption?
    Aug 14 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: Where It's Going Next [View article]
    Before anyone says it, I'll go ahead and point out that my price forecast seems a bit 'tacked on' to the end of the article. The reason is that I'm required to provide a forecast in the article. Obviously, the few topics I covered don't entirely support my forecast; indeed, these topics are probably of lesser significance than many of the other factors I alluded to. My original purpose in posting the article was to discuss some of the less-observed indicators that factor into gold prices. So I apologies in advance if the factors I discussed don't logically track into the conclusion offered. All issues that impact gold prices would need to be covered in a much, much longer article. I merely wanted to touch on a few of the factors and provide my opinion on how those have influence gold prices.
    Aug 14 03:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Comeback Or Speculation? [View article]
    My point was to highlight the juxtaposition between declining volumes and a low(ish) priced-in growth forecast, versus analysts' growth forecasts. My final opinion is that Apple will continue to innovate and release products that refresh their offerings and significantly add to margins (until competition crowds in).

"So what are we to make of this conflicting news? The share price appears undervalued; however, product sales seem to be in a continual decline. Any valuation based on long-term growth forecasts in the tech sector is, by necessity, fraught with issues. So is our data wrong? The answer lies in a classic Apple market strategy."
    Aug 8 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Comeback Or Speculation? [View article]
    Apologies, meant to state product volumes (aside from iPhone) as I did earlier in the article. I'll see if I can change this.
    Aug 8 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Comeback Or Speculation? [View article]
    I understand the confusion, the graphic wasn't intended to compare two similar investment options. Rather, it was to highlight that as the U.S. economy and S&P have continued to recover, Apple has seen sharp declines. It's the nature of their business; products have a relatively short period of intense profitability before competitors crowd in. From there I noted that, due to this decline, the current share price seems to undervalue Apple's growth potential; a priced-in 7% 10-year growth rate versus an analyst consensus 13%+ (granted, the analyst consensus is for the 5-year time frame).

I think we're probably closer in opinion than my article apparently let on. My intention was to highlight that Apple has the resources (both capital and intellectual) to continue their history of releasing innovative products that result in the aforementioned periods of high-profitability; and that I wouldn't bet against them doing so in the future.
    Aug 8 03:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment