Codespeed

View Codespeed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nokia's Hail Mary Pass Fails [View article]
    @UncleSherpalot, the quoted text is in fact an official SA disclaimer.

Now regarding your comments about the article, I will follow up (as you will see I always have in my other articles on Sprint, Cummins, United Rentals etc.) when the Lumia numbers will be out, and will surely provide an objective and unbiased opinion.

The objective of this article was solely to highlight Nokia's position and problems in the marketplace. I encourage you to contemplate on Nokia's challenges stated in the article and to provide a rebuttal.
    Sep 5 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Hail Mary Pass Fails [View article]
    @hunter012 Thanks for your comment. I agree. There has to be some major advantage in the new device that'd make an Apple or Android user switch.

I have used Nokia in the past, remember using the box like Nokia Communicator 9x series - it had an outstanding fax feature that worked in its times (maybe one of the few 'phones' that was able to fax). The problem with Nokia was that they were so focused on new features that they were unable to provide an impressive user experience with its old platforms.

Hopefully that would change with the Windows phone, but I believe expecting a turnaround in the company's sales in a couple of quarters would be overly optimistic.
    Sep 5 04:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Hail Mary Pass Fails [View article]
    @1mp1r3t4 I assume you are a shareholder and wish you luck.
    Sep 5 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Hail Mary Pass Fails [View article]
    @dabreeze21 Thanks for your comment. Lumia has potential and there are many attractive functionalities, and hopefully the company pulls it off well for the benefit of its shareholders. However, Nokia is a victim of their own (mis)management. Best luck!

PS: Hail Mary passes do fail or at least have been referred as same in the past. Google it.
    Sep 5 04:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 12 Reasons United Rentals Must Be On Your Summer Shopping List [View article]
    @asciepius8, in my most recent article about United Rentals, I have included your comment and our discussion, in light of Standard & Poors upgrade of the company's rating.

I think the cost cutting measures are working and the Total Debt/Total Capital ratio has lowered closer to the sub-industry average of 75%. You had made a right point and as I said earlier, it should have been part of the original article - so remembered to put it this time in the new one.

Sep 5 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Folks, recent rating upgrade from S&P said this:

S&P REITERATES STRONG BUY OPINION ON SHARES OF UNITED RENTALS
    (S&P Capital IQ) We maintain our '12 and '13 EPS estimates at $3.48 and $5.22 and our 12-month target price of $52, valuing the shares at 10X our '13 estimate, the low end of the company's ten year historical P/E range. We think recent data on home sales and construction permits show that residential construction activity is strengthening. We expect this to be a precursor to improvement in nonresidential construction next year. We see URI, as the largest U.S. equipment rental company, as well positioned to benefit from these trends. We expect rental rate growth trends to remain intact.
    Sep 4 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Sprint Near 52 Week Highs [View article]
    @BigAppleDude, yeah actually investing in Sprint bonds is not a bad idea. The last I checked when there were talks of the company buckling under pressure, the bonds yielded some 6 or 7%.
    Aug 11 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Sprint Near 52 Week Highs [View article]
    @BigAppleDude, Yeah I too don't get the point about being partners with Google as well, and that was not even any of the reasons for me recommending Sprint.

I should have mentioned about Sprint being well positioned in the industry to benefit in the long term. Oh well, next article I will.
    Aug 11 11:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Sprint Near 52 Week Highs [View article]
    Hi @mrfisher111 Thanks for commenting. Just curious, what was your opinion when the stock was trading at lows of around $2.00? There are two ways to interpret your comment, and I want to understand your perspective objectively and without bias.

One is, do you not consider Sprint an investment at all, irrespective of its stock price ($2 or $3 or $4 or $5)? If so, is the fact that company is not making any profits the only rationale or are there other factors? Please share with all so we can weigh them as well.

Another interpretation is: do you think that this particular price of $4.90 something is too high and not a good entry point considering that S&P500 is running close to year highs?

Clarity of thought is what I'd like to promote in this comments section, and many times readers' comments give important insights to us.
    Aug 11 11:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Sprint Near 52 Week Highs [View article]
    @jimbojinx, $2.50 was an excellent price point to recommend. I guess I will have to look for Karl Deninger and probably follow him on Twitter :)
    Aug 11 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Sprint Near 52 Week Highs [View article]
    @BigAppleDude, I am a believer on the T-Stop % as well, but at times they become counter productive in the long run.

Let me reiterate to all my followers and readers here: My statement about removing the T-stop in the article was not a suggestion.
    Aug 11 10:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Sprint Near 52 Week Highs [View article]
    Hi @Fishloaf, I think Verizon is selling at a higher multiple than needed compared to all competitors. Would love to see comments about that here.

Between T and VZ, I prefer T.
    Aug 11 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Worry About United Rentals [View article]
    URI up 10.28% since this article published on July 24 2012 :)
    Source: http://yhoo.it/NxXE1O;range=20120724,201208...
    Aug 6 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lazard Could Double, Says Trian Fund [View article]
    Folks, $LAZ has gained 8.33% since this recommendation on July 17 2012. Hope this article made you buy $LAZ or at least give assurance about your existing positions. Best wishes!
    Aug 6 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy VIX Calls When They Are Cheap [View article]
    @Spom Taking a bow here. Great stuff. Found a nice pic to prove as well: http://sunsent.nl/MpmEbR
    Aug 6 10:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment