Colin Lea

View Colin Lea's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Parex Resources - Plenty Of Catalysts Coupled With Higher Crude Prices Offer 60%+ More Upside [View article]
    Good follow up to your original article Caiman, and nice to see the investment proposition put forward last time reaching fruition. Keep up the good work.

Apr 4 11:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: An Introduction To Creating Wealth (Part 2) [View article]
    Great series David, and a must read for younger investors. At 40 now, I wish I had access to this at 25 or 30, but SA wasn't around then. Keep the articles coming and thanks for writing.

Mar 25 02:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CH Robinson: Invest In The Largest Domestic Truck Broker [View article]
    The crux of the analysis for me is why a company with a sizable market share of 20% has dropped to five year lows, which I think your article explains. Perhaps in a follow up piece you could focus on why you think the upside exists that you believe; what is management's plan and do you think it is achievable. Thanks for writing.

Mar 24 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    Buy on value and price becomes irrelevant for longer term investors. Great article Chuck and looking forward to part 2.

Mar 21 01:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Seeking Alpha Embraces Pseudonymity [View article]
    Excellent piece Eli, and I think the relatively unedited comments trail on each article is what enhances the value of SA even further. Keep up the good work.

Mar 19 08:45 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How BHP Billiton Got Its Act Together [View article]
    A good article Bob, one which reflects the direction Mackenzie and Walsh are steering their respective companies. Good leadership = good management = good results. Long BHP.

Cheers, Col
    Mar 4 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Few Reasons Why I'm Staying Bullish On BHP Billiton [View article]
    Hi Heather,

Did you back your position and take a position in BHP, and what are your thoughts looking forward based on recent half year results? Keen to get an American's perspective on the 'Big Australian'.

Cheers, Col
    Feb 19 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Elephant Talk - An Undiscovered Bitcoin Company  [View instapost]
    I haven't followed Bitcoin in any detail as yet, though coincidentally there was an interesting piece in today's Financial Times on Douglas Jackson, the founder of e-Gold. It's worth a read for backers of Bitcoin and associated companies operating in this space.

Nov 28 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banking On Australia & New Zealand Banking Group For Continued Growth In The Asia Pacific [View article]
    The rationale for using C was consistency, as I had used it last time, and I selected it on a comparative basis when considering top 4 US banks by market cap compared to top 4 US banks by market cap. Obviously twelve months on markets have moved, and a comparative basis WFC would be more suited to a comparison to CBA or WBC, and my intention is to utilize Wells Fargo as a comparative peer against Westpac Bank in an upcoming article.

To be fair, more time permitting I would have liked to focus more time on Citigroup's relative performance, and again I may revisit in a future focus piece. Thanks for your comments, appreciate it.

Nov 19 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I used to watch a real estate show about Canada when I was living in the USA Bob, which gave me a few issues to ponder about the pricing of the market there, and the value behind property pricing. After numerous trips to Canada over two years I gained an appreciation for the market and supply and demand issues driving the market there, and it provided a lot of context, which I would otherwise not have had. I agree with you that there are many commonalities between the Australian and Canadian systems and markets. As always, thanks for the comments and perspective Bob.

Nov 19 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here is the ADR Link which discusses the split that 'Bikerguy' refers to. I'll look to update the table in future articles.

Nov 18 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here is the link from ANZ which covers the ADR split as commented by 'Bikerguy'. http://bit.ly/17GGLlS

I'll look to update this table in future articles to accommodate the split.

Nov 18 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    We are already seeing the appetite for self managed super funds (SMSF) to consider the inclusion of property in their funds, some of it driven by property spruikers, real estate agents and property developers trying to skirt the regulations that surround SMSF. The government and ASIC are already pursuing the correction of this and I expect we will see some test cases come to investigation soon.

The remaining themes around the property market that you raise are valid, and I currently see two markets in play here; the first being the lead market recovery around housing driven by Sydney and Melbourne (and to a lesser extent Brisbane) which attract the media attention and reader focus. The second in the lagging market or flat market in regional Australia, which at present I don't believe is correlated to the south east coast cyclical recovery. These are themes I would like to revisit in more detail when I write an article reviewing Westpac Bank, which has the greatest exposure to the Sydney and New South Wales property markets out of the Big 4 Banks.

Thanks for the observations and discussion points, it's good to be back; time is the only ingredient that precludes me being back more frequently!

Salud, Col
    Nov 18 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks 'Bikerguy', it's nearing midnight down-under so I'll look into the split tomorrow. Thanks for your observation and comment.

Nov 18 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron: A Dividend Champion In Trouble? [View article]
    Thanks for the follow up epeon, appreciate it.

Nov 10 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment