Convex Strategies

View Convex Strategies' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    I don't own Apple, but they don't sell "a machine," which implies hardware.

Rather, Apple sells consumer-friendly software (OSX) and packages it up in simplistic looking, ultra-attractive hardware and sells the finished product at a premium price.

Software companies typically have steady cash flows, and thus trade at a premium to broader market multiples, especially when the growth rate vastly exceeds averages.
    Jul 22 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    I understand what you are saying. I interpreted your comment as being "share price X Outstanding shares + Cash = Market Cap"

Of course investors value cash. But what you're saying is getting dangerously close to the efficient market hypothesis. You're basically saying that the market cap is not undervalued because investors have used the information at hand to come up with a value.

What I am saying is that investors have moderately undervalued the possibilities Apple has for a large acquisition or investment.

I appreciate the comments.
    Aug 3 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    OK, I'm pretty much done with the school bully here, but listen to yourself. At $80 bucks, at the peak of the recession at Apple at its 52 Week low, that is the opposite of right now. By my logic, I would have recommend "clear buy." Now, at it's ALL TIME HIGH, I am saying hey, if you want to buy, I think you'll do great in the long term. Could you find a better entry point than 2 weeks after its best earnings announcement in years and its all time high? Um, yes. look at the market today. Apple hit 389, and will probably edge lower over the next couple weeks. Assuming nothing changes fundamentally, that would be when I would buy. I'm just saying be patient to maximize your profit.
    Aug 2 03:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    Better yet why don't you just buy every stock at it's all-time high? No one has ever done wrong doing that.
    Aug 2 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    Sure bud. Or you could just wait until the market flips out about something that has nothing to do with fundamentals and the stock takes an unnecessary hit. Or you could even wait until the bear case for the economy really takes hold and everything takes a hit. But you're right, it's not like that will happen.
    Aug 2 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    Possibly because they're trading at their all-time high?? They are coming off a fantastic earnings announcement and have a lot of momentum. What I'm saying is wait for a pullback either market wide or stock specific.
    Aug 2 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    I mentioned the management, which is currently led by Jobs, is irreplaceable. Tim Cook is most likely doing most of the work now anyway.
    Aug 2 11:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    No, it doesn't. Market cap is strictly share price times the number of outstanding shares.
    Aug 2 11:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    Not sure we disagree. Does Apple make tremendously high quality products that I love? Yeah. Do they partake in what every manufacturer in the world does? (planned obsolescence - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...) You bet. I'm glad your products have lasted so long, but mine typically are dead after about 5 years. I don't mind it at all - half the stuff Microsoft makes is shot within 2, filled with viruses and malware.
    Aug 1 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Remains a Long-Term Buy [View article]
    Not quite sure what you are so angry about...
    I have zero clue as to what you are rambling about for the first 3/4 of your post but as for the last - what a typical comment. Read the articles here, there are thousands of articles on stocks, many written by the same people. No, they and I can't all commit thousands of dollars to Apple (or the stocks they discuss in their respective articles) shares this very second because I have my money in other stocks. Why? Because they are riskier and hope to provide bigger returns, which, at my age, I desire. Calm down, and do yourself a favor and wipe the pompous off your mouth.
    Aug 1 03:58 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment