Craig Van Pelt

View Craig Van Pelt's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple: New Analysis Offers Reasons For A Rally [View article]
    rperson,

You are right on target. They can't make any more money on the downside, and the metrics are against them.

We have to take advantage of situations like this.

Thanks so much for your input.

Feb 28, 2013. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Westport Innovations: R&D Will Soon Translate To ROI - It's A Buy [View article]
    Jack & Alpha 5one

all very sad in DC. Sickening.
    Feb 25, 2013. 08:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Today's Price Will Look Cheap 5 Years From Now [View article]
    Hi Tbone,

I really enjoyed your comments. You are correct about overseas attraction of MCD. When I stayed in Moscow, I would buy bags of Big Macs. They were much better than any other local food in restaurants, and they were a really terrific reminder of life back home!

All of us should own a few shares of MCD....

Thanks again and have a great evening and weekend.

Feb 22, 2013. 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Today's Price Will Look Cheap 5 Years From Now [View article]
    Mcwillifloor,

WOW. Your comment is greatly appreciated and it is wonderfully written and the analysis is logical and on target.

A point that really caught my attention is your comment that MCD owns the most valuable real estate on the planet. It's so true, and impacts greatly on its growth. There is only so much RE on the planet, and as it's said, God isn't making any more of it.

Their real estate play is enormous.

I lived in the Caribbean for 16 years and they were quick to take and tie up the best properties and it left everyone else in the cold.

All thing considered, one should buy MCD, be pleased with the current dividend (which will increase) and the stop will continue north over the years. Lastly, owning it makes for a good nights sleep!

Thanks again and best regards.

Feb 20, 2013. 02:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Occidental Petroleum Now A Dividend Achiever [View article]
    Casey,

A very well written article. Thanks.

I hope life is good for you in Taiwan.

Best regards.

Feb 20, 2013. 11:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins' Engine Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    Extremely well done.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2013. 11:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Letter To The Independent Directors Of Herbalife [View article]
    Mr. Walter,

Thanks much for your response to my comment.

I'm a strong believer that there is a place in this world for direct sales companies. Unfortunately, and as you well know, there have been a great number of scandals and each day, more and more companies launch deals that are truly scams, have no products to sell but hype and misrepresentation, and people do get hurt.

Your professional and well articulated view on HLF is a call to action, and if HLF can weather the storm, demonstrate that it is a legitimate company (which I think it is) its coming out on top could have a very positive and deeply needed impact on the industry as a whole.

You are 100% correct in saying that if Directors don't act, they will rue the day. In fact, I'm certain that Mr. Ackman is betting on inaction by Directors.

Thanks again. Best regards. Craig Van Pelt
    Feb 19, 2013. 05:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Icahn Cometh - Could The Stock Be Worth $103.93 Per Share? [View article]
    Dear Smakit,

I am a trader and not a long term investor. At the time I wrote the article I was long at 39.25.

References to "Valuations" in my article were from a historic perspective. Since Mr. Icahn's filings referenced the possibility of a going private transaction, I reported on the previous HLF going private transaction. The metrics of that 2002 transaction were then applied to HLF's current operations.

I agree with you that you can have a great company and a lousy stock and vice versa.

Best regards.

Feb 19, 2013. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Letter To The Independent Directors Of Herbalife [View article]
    Mr. Walter,

Although I am long HLF, and anti-Ackman, I would welcome more transparency from HLF.

I think it's clear that there have been self-serving inconsistencies bantered about by all parties.

Your article was very comprehensive and will shake up the board, (as you already know.) If I were a board member, I would likely resign.....this afternoon.

Thanks. Best regards.

Feb 19, 2013. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Today's Price Will Look Cheap 5 Years From Now [View article]
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for you comments.

Re: MCD's ownership of properties, all the literature I've reviewed and especially its UFOC, indicate they own the properties. In the case of franchises that are re-sold, there is a third party deal in place. But perhaps the info is incorrect and I am wrong.

As to my reference of a "simple model" I was speaking of the simplicity of the franchise model. You are 100% correct, the OPERATION of a MCD store is not simple. It seems that every year they come up with new products like their coffee deal to take some dollars away from SBUX.

Thanks again. Regards.

Feb 19, 2013. 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Today's Price Will Look Cheap 5 Years From Now [View article]
    Hi maxwellmo,

I have not read or heard anything regarding the prospect of a split. However it would be a great thing if they did split it when it visits $100+ the next time.

Thanks so much for touching base. Best regards.

Feb 19, 2013. 12:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Today's Price Will Look Cheap 5 Years From Now [View article]
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for the comments.

MCD opening in Moscow was really a word event and something I'll never forget!

You're right that the company is VERY mature. It's never going to enjoy the growth of is early years, but it will, in my view, continue to grow and my bet is that with dividends it will outperform the overall market. Plus, one can sleep at night.

All the best.

Feb 19, 2013. 12:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Today's Price Will Look Cheap 5 Years From Now [View article]
    Bahamas1

Thanks for your comments. All of us should own this iconic brand and it's very comfortable to know how shareholder friendly they are.

Growth is just built in to their business model and with the real estate angle, assets continue to grow.

Thanks again. Regards.

Feb 19, 2013. 09:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Matt,

My understand is that although Ackman's lawyers are some of the best in the country, they have not specialized in FTC work. Also, it's interesting to note that to my knowledge, Ackman has not published their legal opinion on their letterhead.

The churn in HLF distributors is the nature of the beast, and there are other business sectors where the churn is as great, or even greater. Take a look at the "Churn" in the life insurance selling business. It's SOP of life insurance companies to recruit like crazy, sell a dream while knowing that the new sales person will sell the "green grass" and then depart. The churn is astronomical, but no one targets them as being scheme makers.

Thanks for your comments and best regards.

Feb 18, 2013. 11:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    User646131,

Thanks for your comments.

But Madoff created fake records and an elaborate scheme to keep then hidden. I also suspect, that because of the "who's who" nature of his customer base and Madoff's pedigree, perhaps regulators were prone to no dig so deep.

Also, a lot of important people were making a lot of money with Madoff.

Thanks again. Regards.