Crunching Numbers

View Crunching Numbers' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    SF1863-

"Is it possible they are converting more people, ..."

In a sense, that's the reason. It has to do with the number of cars sold, the increased penetration and the purchases of those cars by lower income customers that are less likely to convert. Meyer addressed this in the call. So, more people are converting, but don't forget, more people are also cancelling as the churn is applied to a larger subscriber base.
    Oct 29 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    SF1863-

You're welcome. I suspect the reason they did not buy more was a reluctance to use too much of the revolver (current draw was $145 million). The company's liquidity (current liabilities vs. current assets) isn't all that great, and cash was down to $100 million at EOQ.
    Oct 29 06:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    bobsar-

"The 4 billion return to shareholders is simply not true. "

Okay, I'll bite. What is the real number? Don't forget the nickel dividend or additional purchases made after the Q ended.

As to Sirius being a penny stock... It has a market cap of around $19 billion and is a component of the NASDAQ 100. Not your typical penny stock. While I have no objection to a reverse split, it does nothing to increase shareholder value. That will be driven by the FCF/share multiples, and having 1/5 the number of shares with 5 times the FCF/share won't won't change that multiple.
    Oct 29 05:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    SXM_Permabull4Life-

I share many of your concerns and will be addressing some of the issues you raise in upcoming articles. The analyst raising the concern about buybacks was Jessica Reif Cohen who had a $5 price target. Frear discussing $2 billion per year as a guideline doesn't help too much for thinking buybacks will rise too much through year end, especially when so much has already been spent.

Buying Liberty might prove to be attractive, but the best chance at that was when Spencer split his SIRI holding between the two... As to options, I tend to go for the covered calls. For someone looking for more risk and more leverage, you might be better off going for those that are in the money, like the 2016 $3 strikes. For about $0.60 you can get far more leverage with a breakeven at $3.60.
    Oct 29 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    pfgreens-

Define "float". Some folks don't think of the Liberty shares as part of the float, and Liberty has $11 million of the 7% notes.

Anyway, at the end of Q3 there was $502,364,000 face value of the Notes. The conversion rate is 543.1732 shares of Common Stock per $1,000 principal amount of Notes. So, for each $1000 note there would 543 shares issued, or a minimum of 272,783,652 shares (fractional shares are not issued). The maximum would be 272,870,661 if a single person held all the notes. I suspect the number will be much closer to the maximum than the minimum.
    Oct 29 04:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    JRF77-

I believe the answer I gave below is a better number. I derived that figure by using the "SIRIUS XM HOLDINGS INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES CONSOLIDATED STATEMENT OF STOCKHOLDERS’ EQUITY" in the 10Q for both Q3 and Q2. Those statements have a line item labeled "Common stock repurchased" and shows 570,055,203 at the end of Q3 vs. 393,808,145 at the end of Q2. The difference is 176,247,058.

Other measures may include the exercise of warrants or options and share issuance for the 7% notes.
    Oct 29 04:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Reports Earnings, Raises Guidance [View article]
    SF1863-

I believe the number is 176,247,058.
    Oct 29 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another 5% Owner Cuts Capstone Holdings [View article]
    ted lujan-

"I do not know what kind of performance most investors expect from a stock, but CPST has increased in value by roughly 29% in the last six days."

To anyone that was able to buy at the absolute bottom, I tip my hat and offer my congratulations. And for those who did buy, I recommend holding until after earnings are released rather than be satisfied with a "roughly 29%" gain.
    Oct 29 11:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: AT&T Closes On $2 Billion Sale Of Connecticut Properties To Frontier Communications [View article]
    Ed Rudy-

Replying and restating the same thing - even using all capital letters for emphasis - does not make your statements true or good advice. You have once again failed to retract or prove your statement about improved revenue performance. Following the acquisition of VZ properties in 2010, the revenue has fallen every quarter, the dividend has been cut by 60% from $1 to $0.40 and the share price has declined from $7.11 the day before the closing to yesterday's closing price of $6.42.

You wrote: "When FTR's management performs very well, the stock increases in price, makes wonderful telecommunications expansion through acquisition from AT&T and Verizon, is endorsed by governmental actions, pays an excellent and secure dividend, FRONTIER (FTR) is an excellent and very profitable asset for ALL INCOME AND CAPITAL GAIN INVESTORS PORTFOLIOS."

Since the dividend has not been secure and the stock price has not done well, it is obvious that management has performed poorly and this has been a miserable long term investment.

Yes, I made money, but only because I was willing to frequently trade the shares and use a variety of in, at, and out of the money covered calls at various times. I made money in spite of poor and dishonest management, not because of good management. I see no dividend increase in the future. I see little if any capital appreciation in the future. I see a way to make a decent return from a current dividend which I believe is secure for at least a couple of years and by selling covered calls with a strike price of $7, thereby increasing my total return.

Part of the reason for the current price is the low interest rate policy by the Fed (if interest rates rise, the relative attractiveness of the FTR yield declines and takes the share price with it) and the potential of a REIT spin that was triggered by the favorable IRS ruling for Windstream. If a REIT spin does not occur, the likelihood is the FTR price will erode further.

It is important that investors understand those risks and enter a position with their eyes wide open.
    Oct 29 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A speculative play on UQM [View instapost]
    HardToLove-

I've never used TA, but simply look at the really large backlog and the potential for a blowout quarter. I should also point out that I've yet to see a quarter that surprised me to the upside. I guess Einstein would consider me insane.
    Oct 28 01:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A speculative play on UQM [View instapost]
    D Lane-

"Anyone here holding CPST?"

Yes, long ~45K shares. I'm not the smart money and considering adding more going into earnings. Didn't the smart money buy almost 19 million shares at a price of $1.70 per share in a private placement?
    Oct 28 01:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Another 5% Owner Cuts Capstone Holdings [View article]
    mikelazar-

"heres my take on it buy 50.000 CPST wait 2 years ..."

Clearly your bullish stance hasn't changed. Eventually you could prove to be correct, but it should be noted you wrote the following on one of my articles on July 9th: "Folks this company is the golden goose,it's got everything you could want in a stock.A product in demand all over the world a technology ahead of it's time.And companies lining up to take it over." It was trading at $1.50 at the time.

I suspect you were equally bullish when the shares were trading above $2.50 earlier this year. I fully expect CPST to do well, but I have often been disappointed and a houseboat is out of the question. The wife gets motion sickness...
    Oct 28 12:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ed Rudy-

"Do you only invest in a company once and then wait to see what it will do for you?"

No. I have bought and sold FTR on numerous occasions, despite a management that has repeatedly issued misleading statements and is not to be respected. I too have made significant returns, but it has been through timely purchases and the repeated use of covered calls. It also helped that Windstream was approved for a REIT spin. At this point I view capital appreciation as minimal.

Would you care to clarify your previous statement about revenue performance which has been dismal for the past 4 years?

Good luck with your strategy, but pumping management is wrong, as is expecting much in the way of capital appreciation. Too much is working against FTR.
    Oct 28 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Siwanoy-

"IMO critical cash flow needs..."

Perhaps, but this business was generating significant cash flow. If cash were an urgent need, the cash flow should have been enough to easily cover interest on $2 billion in additional debt. Frontier estimates CT will generate $400 million of EBITDA. Part of that was cost savings from $75 million of T's allocated costs, costs which won't go away.
    Oct 27 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius Suffers Another Legal Setback [View article]
    Ol Blue Eyes-

"You disagree? To what purpose?"

Not with thr comment you wrote today, However, you previously had written "Sound recording transmitted in analog form, the familiar radio or television broadcast through the air or over cable, being nothing more than a modulated wave of an assigned frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum, cannot be saved, duplicated, and used to create a tangible recording."

I disagree with that, and although I don't know if it is still in existence, at one time there was a fee imposed on the sale of tapes and tape recorders because they could be used to copy recordings, including those broadcast over the air on an analog carrier signal. That fee was supposed to go to the recording industry. See http://nyti.ms/1rvB0uJ
    Oct 27 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment