Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Trying To Beat The Market Is A Fool's Errand [View article]
    Of course, that great head start helped. I would guess that the entry point (year) could change things drastically.
    Oct 19 07:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trying To Beat The Market Is A Fool's Errand [View article]
    That's great. Thanks for those numbers. Very telling. Patience can be more important than the investment selection.
    Oct 19 07:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Will Never Make Another (Investment) Mistake [View article]
    In Summary, beating the markets is the least of our worries.
    Oct 19 06:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Will Never Make Another (Investment) Mistake [View article]
    Thanks RedScourge I would agree there's much to learn from the Buffet's of the world.

One needs patience mostly. Time is also our best friend. Stay the course. And a very simple strategy will work. Buying on a regular schedule can help boost returns in choppy markets. And as Warren says 'be greedy when others are fearful'.

Every day I ask clients to get greedy to the downside. Though it's not easy to change investor psychology and behaviour.

Investor success or failure is largely driven by behaviour in difficult markets, not on their investment selections.

The challenge is not to get investors to beat the market, but to get them somewhere even close to the stock market returns that are available.

This from Dalbar Study.

For the twenty-year period, equity
    investors earned 3.83% and asset allocation fund investors earned 2.56% compared to the S&P 500
    return of 9.14%. For the same period, fixed income investors earned 1.01% compared to the Barclays
    Aggregate Bond Index return of 6.89%.
    The 2011 study also found that the average equity investor has increased retention rates from 3.22
    years in 2009 to 3.27 years in 2010. However, this still falls far short of the optimum needed to take
    advantage of market performance. The psychological factors that batter away at average investor
    returns remain dominant and the “code” to crack these behaviors remains elusive.
    Oct 19 06:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Right Time To Fix An Investment Wrong? [View article]
    Thanks Jerbear, that's certainly a great investment for many. I like the higher yield and dividend growth potential (recent history) of VYM - in combination with DIA for U.S. holdings.

And ya I know that the Dow30 is a weird one for selection criteria - but it has a great history, and I simply like the holdings when I look at that basket.

But I am certainly going to do more investigation into IWD and their value metrics.
    Oct 19 06:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Right Time To Fix An Investment Wrong? [View article]
    Thanks, my EFA exposure comes by way of our Streetwise Index portfolios. The reason for selecting EFA is to lower volatility - the choice of non-developing markets and large cap.

Check out our 1, 3, 5 year returns. It's quite an interesting test lab of real time diversification.

It's a magic bit of diversification.
    Oct 19 06:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Right Time To Fix An Investment Wrong? [View article]
    Thanks Antony. I would consider that for your self directed portfolio(s), for some exposure. But I'm mostly contributing into dividend ETFs with the portfolios' income (not broad market indices).

Building my income stream (while delivering some price protection) is my long term objective.

Our Streetwise Portfolios separate U.S., Canadian and International for rebalancing opportunities.
    Oct 19 06:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Vanna White Approach To Investing [View article]
    Doing nothing is of course one of the hardest activities for many investors. Not thinking, is pretty tough too.

A portfolio is like a bar of soap - The more you handle it the smaller it gets.

Patience appears to be the most important quality when it comes to investing.
    Oct 18 11:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Will Never Make Another (Investment) Mistake [View article]
    certainly, it was and is in xma. I also held barrick gold plus Goldcorp, I think. I was fortunate to sell at the right time.
    Oct 18 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Can Offer Investors Opportunity By Focusing On Its Core Business [View article]
    Healthier. Not healthy. Ha.

But certainly there is no real health concern among the total population. Fast food/high fat food continues to thrive.
    Oct 18 07:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enbridge Is Not A Buffett-Quality Dividend Stock [View article]
    Cool. And that's very impressive. No?
    Oct 18 07:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Listen To Peter Schiff Or Any Other Market Forecaster [View article]
    Hey Mike, he got those two calls right. And the timing was pretty good too. Not saying anyone should listen to him, but.

But he was right. That's not worth debating. We should acknowledge that fact.

We'll have to wait and see about his current predictions. I personally would not invest based on any predictions.

Well I invest on the prediction that the markets will be higher (from today) in 10 and 15 years. Well I guess that's the hope that market history repeats itself. I have no idea of the route it will take to get there.
    Oct 18 06:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solving The Debt Crisis Will Require Real Politik [View article]
    Tiss true. Our schools in Toronto pay $10000 for a $2000 paint job. A $300 glass replacement costs the schools $1200. I think the cost to screw in a pencil sharpener is in the area of $200.

They must use the government Board of Education workers at sometimes 10x the market price.
    Oct 18 06:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Will Never Make Another (Investment) Mistake [View article]
    And on...

"I had a 74% total return from January 1, 2007 to the end of 2011, when looking at our investment accounts. The recession was very good to me. But again, my mistake turned out to be a lucky event. And I then paid the price for my weak exposure to U.S. markets."

I am also curious to know whether you learned anything from this lucky event, since you have claimed it is largely responsible for your gains since 2007." -

My 'luck' again was concentration in the Canadian markets and a materials ETF and a couple of gold companies and energy companies, and my Tim Hortons, ha. There was no real strategy there. Just dumb luck. I was overly exposed to a country that is largely a sector play on resources and banking (supported by said resources).

I don't think there's much to learn by getting lucky. Does an inexperienced card player who goes to Vegas, sits down at the BlackJack table and is then dealt "21" three times in a row learn anything?

Perhaps he does, if he pockets his winnings and walks away from the table. And chalks one up to luck.

Thanks again.
    Oct 18 06:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Will Never Make Another (Investment) Mistake [View article]
    Hi RedScourge, no need to apologize. Questioning and challenging and seeking clarity is what seeking alpha is all about.

On the U.S. economy.

Perhaps the most important lesson I've learned after a few decades of investing and research is that nobody knows nothing. To try and guess which way any asset or asset class or geographical region is going to move in the short or medium term is impossible. And guessing often leads to unrealized opportunities. Or losses.

When one is investing for the long term, every day is a good day to invest. Especially when one is reinvesting along the way. If the U.S. is fair value or less, so be it. I'll be buying some more when it gets 'cheap'. I have no way of knowing when that market will correct. Remember the phrase, the markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

And of course I'm holding the U.S., Canadian and International markets along with a near 50% (and declining) bond allocation. It's about the total portfolio, for my style of investing.

Check out the 1,3,5 year numbers on our very well diversified portfolios at ING Direct.

And in essence I am trying to avoid unrealized gains in the future. U.S. Investors paid for their home bias. I recently paid for my own home bias.

It is impossible to time your index portfolio shift to correct a shortcoming such as home bias - or when in need of further diversification. You just have to do it.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer or clarify some more.
    Oct 18 06:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment