Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Most Important Article I Could Ever Write On Dividend Growth [View article]
    Hi Al, which challenge is that from IT?

Dale
    Jul 3, 2014. 07:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Outlive Your Money: A Lesson From Canada [View article]
    That's exactly why I decided to not be rich in Canada. I reached the top income area for a salaried employee in my field and then moved quickly to consulting/freelance, to earn much less, and get additional tax breaks for being self employed. I could not fathom working that hard and handing over 50% plus to government then and in retirement. I made the choice to have more modest income in working years (plus lots of time off) and more modest income in retirement and at a rate that won't claw back my government programs.

I stopped putting into my RRSP plan many years ago, as well (only recently returned to contributions as there is free money for that at Tangerine).

It wasn't worth it to be rich in Canada.
    Jul 2, 2014. 07:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Outlive Your Money: A Lesson From Canada [View article]
    Hi hayek, one should certainly consult an accountant (or qualified financial advisor / group) for the best mix and use of assets in the accumulation phase, and certainly with a check up here and there, and certainly use a tax professional (consultation) for the draw down phase.

It's not what you make, it's what you keep as the saying goes.
    Jul 2, 2014. 07:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Moose, they are very different funds, certainly with different criteria. VIG applies value filters as per the index it tracks, though it holds many of the aristocrats as you can see from the tables. Again, low payout ratio of survivors is driving the higher returns.

The Aristocrats is a completely passive index, very simply inclusion criteria of 25 years plus and sp 500 member.

Dale
    Jul 2, 2014. 07:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Simply Buy The Dividend Aristocrats And Perhaps Beat The Market [View article]
    Not a given that they will increase their fees? Competition seems to be moving to lower fees. We'll see.

Dale
    Jul 1, 2014. 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDY has a history of outperformance as well. The simple opportunities are right there for most dividend investors, but they choose to go their own route, and largely leave the DG growth magic and offering behind.

VIG and VDIGX and other dividend funds have that history as well.

I recently moved to VIG from VYM (leading yield behind) and I will add in some of the individual stocks of div aristocrats, a few Buffet div holdings - they have that low payout ratio that we are looking for.

Dale
    Jul 1, 2014. 06:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Tristano, if the div stocks do fall in price, then it will be an opportunity for those who are dollar cost averaging or keeping that dry powder. And there is certainly nothing wrong with the broad index (market). Not sure what will perform the best over the next 10 or 15 years, but market history offers those probabilities. I will put my money largely on the dividend payers.

If you want to outperform you can opt for the total market option of VTI.

I agree with the late comers to dividend growth, on SA we see them as very skittish and nervous and very defensive about their investment choices or style, as if they don't really believe in themselves, or what they are doing. Many already over trade in a bull market.

Dale
    Jul 1, 2014. 06:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aggressive Retirement Portfolio for the Next 3 Years [View article]
    Nothing wrong with gold and silver in modest amounts. It's hard to argue with the premise and returns of the permanent portfolio with 25% gold, 25% equities, 25% long bonds and 25% cash (or very short term Treasuries).

That may be the 'safest' portfolio that one can construct and still potentially obtain the market returns.

All said hanging yer hat on gold and silver in large concentrations is ill advised.

And I don't think the author understands how bonds work and are priced. Always important to know market history and how the major asset classes operate and interact in their always interesting and fluid dynamic.

Dale
    Jun 29, 2014. 06:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Energy: Buy The Stock For 10% Dividend Growth And Fair Valuation [View article]
    Glad to read your report on SU as Suncor is almost 5% of the TSX 60 Index. I don't care about the dividends personally, as I am in the accumulation phase, but the dividend growth with low payout ratio should help this stock do well in price terms.

Thanks for the write up. The 60 is a great way for U.S. investors to add Canada and some international exposure, though Canada is certainly a sector play - in energy and materials (banking is strong but that is supported by said sectors)

Dale
    Jun 29, 2014. 06:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The Artistocrat Index is an incredible and simple phenomenon. Another feather in the cap for indexing?

Very simple, very effective, as always is the case.
    Jun 29, 2014. 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Even Easier Dividend Growth Portfolio. [View article]
    Thanks yawkey for following up. It's a pretty decent balance and no nonsense approach.

Dale
    Jun 28, 2014. 08:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Well we know of investors' records vs the index or ETFs. It appears almost impossible to find value with 'tools' and research in the large cap area. Passive may be the best way to go for most.

Dale
    Jun 28, 2014. 08:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Passive Retirement Strategy In The World [View article]
    I would add, I think the lack of international exposure though is a big hole. What is the U.S. does lose its reserve currency status? It's the only thing keeping the U.S. dollar afloat? It may not turn, but there could and is likely a price to pay for printing or creating money (trillions) out of thin air.

Currency exposure could be the play of the decade for U.S. citizens.

Though as a Canadian I am happy to hold U.S. dollar based investments as well. I need that currency exposure. We head to the U.S. regularly, off to Maine tomorrow, actually.

Multinationals do not really provide the currency exposure that is perceived. The profits appear to stay off shore. See my 'your dividends are not coming home soon' articles.
    Jun 28, 2014. 07:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Passive Retirement Strategy In The World [View article]
    Fabulous article and premise Joe. Can't argue with the lowest risk part and the inflation protection coming from bonds. I have written on Warren Buffet's "suggestion" of a 90% stock and 10% bond portfolio for retirees. Of course, the all stock option will work in about 95% of periods due to stocks being the best performing asset class, but there are that bad start dates that we need to protect against.

I would suggest though that taking on a very modest amount of risk is worth the effort, on the fixed income side. I am working on that model this week. Many ways to do the 'bucketing' in retirement.

In this article I used a very simple two years of cash from start date, with the classic 60-40 balanced portfolio for growth and price protection.

To get the safety and boost the returns of your model, I would suggest a CD ladder 1-4 yrs?, plus those stocks n bonds. Article to follow, though it's slow going as we are on vacation, ha.

But again, great article and a great service to those in, or planning for retirement.

Dale
    Jun 28, 2014. 07:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cutting My Dividends By 35% - Improving My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Hi Pen...

"Isn't it better to focus on income or cash flow from the get go?"

Once again, from the article, the answer appears to be a very clear no. That leads to less total return, it appears, and for obvious reasons. I am not trying to change your mind here (I know that is not going to happen). I write articles on the subject and repeat the investment truth hoping that others do not go down that path. And many, many writers and readers (have been saved, ha) know how to prepare for and generate the most advantageous retirement years, with the most money heading into those years.

Not many will choose the potential of $1 million over $1.5 million. But some will. In many cases the numbers would be even more exaggerated than that example. It could mean (for a young investor) working for 7, 8 or 10 more years following the path of 'not total return'. This is a massive "point" and investment truth.

As one of my favourite think tank writes "if it's important, measure it".

Dale