Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Yes but you have to spend when you have to spend. In the draw down you are taking a salary. But one has the option of cutting back in years when they need to harvest the portfolio assets, knowing that it's a big hurt in the long run.

Today is interesting, nothing looks that attractive. Stocks are overvalued, bond yields are low (with no where to go so they say). But the money has to flow somewhere. See my article There's no money to be made from here, maybe.

Jun 3, 2014. 06:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    thanks for that mjs. it might have a different effect in the draw down? The MA approach does keep one out of the major meltdowns.

Dale
    Jun 3, 2014. 06:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    mbruns that is interesting, i remember that article, a timeless way to trade the sp 500. I don't know how that would work in the retirement phase. Likely too much in an out when it bounces around the MA. I am more of a fan of managing risk and volatility with bonds and cash. But it is worth a look.

That was an interesting article and approach, I played with MAs for days. ha.

Dale
    Jun 3, 2014. 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Tom, that has not been my observation, we have many clients running away from advisors. And certainly there are good ones, and poor ones.
    Jun 3, 2014. 06:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Thanks, I promise to have a read.

Dale
    Jun 3, 2014. 06:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Hey tom, the bond market is still alive. TLT beats the snot out of SPY year to date. Bonds still have their place for most. I have a few articles on bonds and risk and rate history, that you might like, and on asset allocation always being alive and well.

Jun 3, 2014. 06:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    I think he holds his nose when he offers the bond bit. Then again, it's only 10%. We'll see.
    Jun 2, 2014. 09:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Hi 82ndVet, thanks for the kind comments. I am glad that your plan is coming together. Be cautious of those market tops, but it sounds like you are moving your funds to equities in stages, a rebalancing form of dollar cost averaging I'd guess.

Happy to write on SA, I learn a ton with every article and subject area that I look into. I can share any learnings here and with clients.

Ya, I like Bob's articles a lot. He's a real gentleman. He shares real life stuff.

All the best to you as well.

Dale
    Jun 2, 2014. 09:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Thanks, I think Warren reco's the index for most everyone. Most investors don't obtain the market gains available.

I used total return for the article, so that would include the dividends and price appreciation or decline.

I agree, one can protect the portfolio (harvesting of shares) with some higher yield and dividend growth. But if an investor gives up robust price appreciation for higher yield, perhaps it's a wash, or total return comes out ahead? Does it matter if one beats inflation with the dividend growth or the capital gains that can be harvested?

Perhaps Warren is giving us a lesson in total return vs income.
    Jun 2, 2014. 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    But I only hold Tim Hortons on purpose.
    Jun 2, 2014. 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Thanks, buy the index. ha. And add the U.S. and international, and like Ben said, at least 25% bonds if you need some risk management.

I hold three Canadian stocks. Here's my article, that by coincidence is entitled My Three Stocks.

Jun 2, 2014. 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Thanks, yes that is often overlooked. And obviously Warren ignored that bit from Mr. Graham. Ha. Will have a look for Rob1221.

I will be getting into risk management with stocks, bonds, portfolio income levels, the use of cash and that interesting dynamic between them all - for the draw down stage.
    Jun 2, 2014. 08:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Thanks Naida, those who've been threw a market correction or 6 seem to be the best at it.
    Jun 2, 2014. 08:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Thanks buyandhold, I think the stock to bond allocation should be predicated more on the risk tolerance level and time horizon.

All said, I think that there is the probability that balanced portfolios will continue to deliver. In retirement a bond laddering with rising rates and growing dividends might be the best of both worlds for retirees. I would like to see some gradually rising rates.

Love the bit about your Mom. I had a nice chat with a 96 year old client today, and he made my day. He was so sharp and energetic. His secret, well be happy he said.
    Jun 2, 2014. 08:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Was Right About Retirement [View article]
    Hi Pompano, I am still a big fan of bonds, in the accumulation phase and the spending phase. Many will still want and need that risk management, and bonds can help protect your equity portfolio in the draw down phase as well.

And Warren teaches us that equities are important for retirees, and that the allocation should likely be generous. It's a bit of an eye opener.
    Jun 2, 2014. 08:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment