Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Is Total Return? [View article]
    I don`t think Trudeau every drank a Budweiser. It would be an uncomfortable meeting.
    Apr 17, 2014. 06:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Total Return? [View article]
    Trudeau was very charismatic but was an admitted socialist. He was even friends with Castro. He was the first NATO leader to visit Cuba in the 60`s, and Trudeau yelled. “Long live Prime Minister Fidel Castro!” lol

He spent like crazy and had no understanding of money and finance. Many decades later, our debt and deficits still belong to him.

But he is loved in Canada. His son, who has virtually no experience, is now the Leader of the Liberal party. He is ahead in the opinion pols. The party is running on a nostalgia ticket. It might work.

We would then have the most handsome leader in the free world. Might be good for Canadian Tourism. ha.

I will admit to voting for Trudeau when I was in University, with my very first federal vote, I then did some research.
    Apr 17, 2014. 06:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Total Return? [View article]
    Thanks Lamarius, I appreciate your kind words and insights.
    Apr 16, 2014. 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Ranking: Part 1, The Heavyweights [View article]
    Hey Dave, if one is in the accumulation phase, all that matters is total return. The income might become important in the spending phase.

Will be interesting to see the payout ratio on these. I think many are quite reasonable, as I recognize them from my investigations and articles.
    Apr 16, 2014. 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What If My Stocks Crash And Burn? Part 1 [View article]
    If you hold U.S. assets you have currency exposure, and it doesn't even matter if you hold a currency hedged product as Dan at canadiancouchpotato.com points out. Currency hedged products is mostly a useless venture.

One should certainly hedge their lifestyle. Holding Canadian, U.S. and International holdings can make sense for many reasons. And if you plan to travel extensively to U.S. and international, you should hold those assets.

One could or should then when approaching retirement trim holdings and hold in a U.S. savings account. And continue to hold a comfortable amount of U.S. equities and bonds throughout much of retirement.

Hedging one's lifestyle and travel plans can be important. Likely to travel for years in a motor home? Buy lots of higher yielding and some growth energy stocks. Let the energy companies and pipelines pay your gas bill. If prices go up, you may be hedged, more profits to flow.

Worried about interest rates rising? Ladder GIC's and ladder some bonds or laddered bond products. Take advantage or rising rates.

I personally would welcome some higher rates. I hope they do come as too many predict.

Dale in Canada.

It was like snowing out yesterday, eh?
    Apr 16, 2014. 07:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Total Return? [View article]
    Thanks Dude. I appreciate the slap on the back.

Pay attention to the risk tolerance level, especially if you've been wounded in the past. Did you have to bring up the tech bubble? Those wounds have not healed for me.

I just buy on my regular schedule without thought or emotion. I buy into my Tangerine Balanced Portfolio at work, probably every week.

And my portfolio income from my self directed retirement accounts goes into VYM to increase my U.S. stock exposure.

Like watching paint dry.
    Apr 16, 2014. 06:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Total Return? [View article]
    Ha, just about every penny can go back to Mr. Trudeau. It's all been interest on his debt explosion. All gov's have run operational surplus since then.

I give full credit to Mr. Chretien who cleaned it up along with Paul Martin (who I think was just doing what Mr. C demanded). They did a wonderful job on the deficit.

The U.S. could follow suit, quite easily. Here's my article on how the U.S. could eliminate the deficit in 4 years.

It would be even easier now for the U.S., from when I wrote that article in December of 2012.
    Apr 16, 2014. 06:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Great article and research. I think dividend growth investors would be well served to invest like Mr. Buffet, paying attention to what he pays attention to, and that is invest for the total return potential, looking for long term value, practicing legendary patience. See David Crosetti, also.

Thinking like him may not be a challenge, executing like Warren may be a bit of a challenge.

Great article.

Dale
    Apr 16, 2014. 06:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Ranking: Part 1, The Heavyweights [View article]
    That certainly looks like a great core that one might build a portfolio 'around', after more digging of course.

And yes there's survivor bias but that heavyweight 12 certainly has beat the crap out of the market in total return over the last few years, even over year and a half. It's double or more over the time frames. Momentum is on their side. I'd guess the beta is quite attractive as well.

Dale
    Apr 16, 2014. 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Ranking: Part 1, The Heavyweights [View article]
    Great article and research, thanks so much.

As per Detail Investor it would be great to look at payout ratio as well. I did that for all of the Aristocrats in this article, with payout ratio.

Many of those companies are in that article.

Dividend growth appears to provide the potential to outperform quite considerably, but the key to outperform is the DG with value and low payout ratio according to a couple of studies mentioned in this article.

Once again, great evaluation.

Dale
    Apr 16, 2014. 06:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    Part Time thanks for the update, and the mention. :) Glad to see that your portfolio is keeping well.

Glad to see that you are keeping an eye on total return. There would be a few options for (you and others) selecting your benchmark. SDY, VIG the actively managed VDGIX (to throw in a portfolio manager) plus the incredible and simple Dividend Aristocrats Index. That index has a very impressive market beat.

Shoulder up against the one that matches your style and your beta category.

For those who seek the greatest income in retirement it certainly comes down to how much you got to go shopping for that income, once risk management is taken into consideration.

Dividend growth offers that historical market beat if we capture that magic. Again studies show it comes down to dividend growth, value and low payout ratio (room to grow those dividends).

In this article I looked at the Dividend Aristocrats and found that out of the aristocrat survivors the recent outperform certainly was driven by the companies with the low payout ratio. In the article I segment the aristocrats and analyze by a few basic metrics.

That payout ratio sweet spot is evident in that first evaluation.

Dale
    Apr 15, 2014. 09:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Total Return? [View article]
    Hi varan, I think that used to be true. We are set to balance our federal budget in Canada, very very soon. We have a conservative federal party running the show with a majority, they don't have to get any of the votes of the other two major parties.

Apr 15, 2014. 07:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Important Article I Could Ever Write On Dividend Growth [View article]
    Thanks George, always to each his or her own. If one uses Total Income as a risk management tool that's to their choosing. It may lead to less in spending phase, but I certainly understand why some will go that route.

I just hope those who go that route do that under full understanding of the choices, and the potential difference in the outcome.

Dale
    Apr 14, 2014. 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dad, Don't Buy Church & Dwight [View article]
    From 2000, CHD has returns of 800% vs about 65% for the market. Yes, that's looking back, but this is likely a future dividend aristocrat and it has a payout ratio of 40% according to one source. Expensive for a reason, I'd guess.

Looks better than the 'other' consumer staple, portfolio staples?
    Apr 14, 2014. 07:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Stocks Won't Crash (For Now) [View article]
    I have no idea what the markets will do over the short to mid term, but I thank you for this great article and wonderful charts and research.

When the correction does come, I will be happy to accumulate 'on sale'.

For now, all we can do is continue to reinvest on schedule, but many may want or need to reevaluate their risk tolerance level and how that corresponds to their holdings.

Perhaps the Permanent Portfolio will come back in fashion?

Dale