Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Thanks emac, I don't think you were lucky, you were a patient investor who stuck to the plan and reinvested along the way. That usually leads to success.

Congrats on all of the above.

Dale
    Apr 9, 2014. 05:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Hi Craig, I don't think we are in disagreement here. I hope I defined total income in the article. Again, that would be measuring the total income of the portfolio, instead of total market value of the portfolio.

In the dividend growth world there is a way to beat on total return, historically, and that's with the simple Aristocrats index, for example. But to get those extra funds available for purchasing said income, an investor would have to focus on the portfolio value.

Quite simply, I think investors would be better off with that additional 2-3% or more per year in total return.

Thanks, Dale
    Apr 9, 2014. 05:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Thanks cross, I too think that it is important to measure performance. And I don't think underperformance should be rationalized away.

In the end, most should simply buy that SP 500 and TLT as Warren suggests. That said, I like the historical outperform of an index such as the Aristocrats, so NOBL or a good selection of the Aristocrats and some TLT if needed for risk?
    Apr 9, 2014. 05:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why This Dividend Aristocrat ETF Isn't So Noble [View article]
    VIG has beat the market from inception (and most of those who share their returns on SA). I'd say VIG has been a great success. VIG would likley be easy to skim. See my articles on the VIG top ten, top 15 and top 20. Market beating returns from those groupings as well. Vanguard gets DG for total return.

Buy VIG, set it and forget it, is a great option.
    Apr 8, 2014. 03:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Hey David, thanks for stopping in, I think I have acknowledged that DG can beat the market on total return, has beat the broader market historically. DG can be a great total return vehicle, if executed properly, again perhaps with that magic of growing dividends (value research and confirmation) and that low payout ratio.

Not suggesting for a that one growth strategy is superior to the other, only that investors might be better served keeping their eye on the portfolio value, no matter what strategy they employ.

Thanks, Dale
    Apr 8, 2014. 12:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Thanks Faye. Yes it's been a while. It's a great marriage. And we are certainly pulling our weight and delivering to Canada's most international bank, and now perhaps with much more potential for retail growth in Canada.

Again, a future article may be my Four Stocks.
    Apr 8, 2014. 10:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Hey A7E, if one uses the dividend approach, I would simply suggest using the one that reduces risk, and also has a history of greater total return.

Win, win.

There is no de-risking with the income approch in some cases. See 2008-2010 dividend history of SP500 div payers.
    Apr 8, 2014. 10:36 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Hey varan, you know it's my way or the highway. :)
    Apr 8, 2014. 10:34 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Hey ricksteph, you're right, it can certainly be a moving target for many. That's why we always encourage one to have that safety savings account covering unexpected life events. I used to have 18 months of total expenses in cash. Now I don't need to (have as much) as we have investments that would provide income for emergencies.
    Apr 8, 2014. 10:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Actually It Is All About Total Return...Totally! [View article]
    Hey Jon, thanks, as per the article, dividend growth can be a great way to total return, and as per my articles on payout ratio, I don't disagree there.

Simply suggesting whatever strategy one takes, make it about how much you will have in the end, including buying dividend companies.
    Apr 8, 2014. 08:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Rebalancing: The Whys And The Hows [View article]
    Great article Larry, thanks. It appears that rebalancing helped boost the returns of our Balanced Income Portfolio over the last year. The fund is 70% bonds and 30% equities (Canada, U.S., International) - the bond index was negative over the period. The portfolio returns are above 7% (ah the magic of asset allocation), and the plus-7% is above the weighted returns of the four indexes.

As you stated sometimes it will boost returns, and sometimes it won't.

Dale
    Apr 8, 2014. 07:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tupperware Brands The Perfect Dividend Growth Stock For Retirement Portfolios? [View article]
    And earnings are affected by buy backs, use of free cash, I think we'd all agree on that. You might also agree it would be best to have revenue growth to support dividends and buy backs?

Lack of growing revenue eventually creates a problem, I would think. Though they may find ways to grow revenue. Currently they have stalled.

In my examination of payout ratio, this will go on the list. It will be interesting to see what happens to a company when or if they hit the revenue wall, (and perhaps become earnings challenged) and bump up against the payout ratio wall as well.
    Apr 8, 2014. 06:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Revenue is essentially flat over the last 3 years. Earnings growth is perhaps driven somewhat by share buybacks, but also effiencies?
    Apr 7, 2014. 04:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    wow, incredible the discrepancies on data out there. Not much room for dividend growth it they are sticking by that 50% target?
    Glad to see my TD Waterhouse reports are reliable. They have lots of info and reports from various sources.
    Apr 7, 2014. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprott's John Embry: Gold And Silver Making A Bottom? [View article]
    All I know is the Sprott guys sure can pick 'em. When I was in their Canadian Equity Fund (it was a growth small cap sometimes gold or silver only, ha) it was a ten bagger in about 15 years or less. That was Eric Sprott I believe. But Embry is a smart cookie as well.

I got out at the top, luck guess, or rebalancing.

Dale