Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • ETFs Vs. Active Managers [View article]
    In Canada over the last 5 years, only 3% of active managers beat the Canadian index. Yikes.

They see to do worse, the worse the times.

To Canadian investors... dump your mutual funds. No reason to be in them, at all.
    Mar 19 06:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    I think it's fair to treat the pension as fixed income as there is no risk. Or very little risk. Bob Wells and David Van Knapp are in the same situation and use DG to top up pensions, with the pensions being the large majority of their 'portfolio'. You guys are likely 80-90% cash with respect to your asset allocation. I'd guess.

Topping up a pension with DG is a great idea. There is very little risk with the overall portfolio mix.
    Mar 19 06:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    The last time we were in this scenario of low and rising rates the classic balanced 60/40 portfolio returned over 600% over 15 years, from 1950 to 1965. As demonstrated in this article.

I also took a look at 100 years of interest rates.

Risk is the sum of your total assets and asset classes.
    Mar 19 06:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Dividends In ETF Form [View article]
    Hi Ycajal, that one looks like more of a yield chaser, perhaps a little more aggressive than XEI. I think one would be covered with XEI, VDY and a Canadian REIT. Or even the tsx60 XIU and XEI plus the REIT.

We are likley splitting hairs after that.
    Mar 19 06:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ETFs Vs. Active Managers [View article]
    by luck there should be a segment that ouperforms. darts would create the same event. that it is luck is demonstrated by their fall from grace.
    Mar 18 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    No. Not like Greek Bonds or bankrupt municipalities in California. lol
    Mar 18 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    Hey efschew... re "Most gains left on the table (and outright losses) are due to inappropriate risk levels"

When investors have taken on too much risk (volatility) they sell in a panic and crystalize losses (or lessen gains).

Bonds are just after cash (investments) on the risk spectrum. On the low end that is. And of course I am referring to high quality bonds - gov and corp.
    Mar 18 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    Thanks. Age has nothing to do with risk tolerance.
    Mar 18 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    Hey PY, not sure, but I don't think I've voiced an opinion on low beta stocks.

I would not look at bonds in isolation as low or negative beta. It's about the portfolio composition. One can reduce volatility in many ways, certainly. Through diversification, international diversification, currencies, precious metals, employing shorts. But bonds are certainly no 1 in the arsenal.

I would see reducing or eliminating losses, or increasing gains as a positive event. And it is easily achieved. There's no reason for any investor to not achieve very respectable returns over time. It should be a very rare event for an investor to sell at a loss.

Cheers.
    Mar 18 08:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    hey fschew, I would have to disagree. bonds are largely employed to reduce volatility in one's portfolio. most gains are given up (by investors) because they can't handle the risk level of their portfolio. it has nothing to do with age. just because one could make more money if they had more stock exposure (largely true over time) does not mean they should hold a 100% stock portfolio. they will sell low when the going gets tough.

Most gains left on the table (and outright losses) are due to inappropriate risk levels. That would make bonds the most useful tool in the investment arsenal. But bonds are not required by all.
    Mar 18 07:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    thanks purple. I think you were reinforcing my point there. i am suggesting most investors should forgo active management and buy the market. and also forgo their own active management. ha.

just pointing out the simple fact that young investors like Ryan can generate a considerable sum (enough to retire 'rich') without taking on the risk of their own stock picking.

It appears that Ryan in the end may replicate DIA as his core and that's a great thing. But I see the signs of an investor without a concrete plan. He's second guessing himself. He's switching companies in a style where one should mostly show patience and resolve. His portfolio lacks diversification. He doesn't know if he can handle volatiltiy yet. Sorry Ry to pick on you. The only good advice is honest and to the point.

I don't think my concerns are unwarranted. Just trying to give the Kid some basic investment advice. The starting point that he would receive if he went to an advisor who has his best interests in mind.

Cheers. And best of luck to Ry and other young investors of course.
    Mar 18 07:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    Hey David, I am just trying to help, not bait. I wish Ry the KId all the best as I do all investors. Tiss one of my main missions in life. I even get to do it for a living now which is a wonderful thing.

I think he will get some great advice from dividend growth investors on SA, such as yourself, 'The Bobs' and David Crossetti and Chowder and others. And it's a great sounding board.

Again, I was just pointing out a few facts that Ry may not have known. Cheers.
    Mar 17 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    Hey Ry over the long term the numbers get worse for professional managers and retail investors. the farther you go out, the greater the spread.
    Mar 17 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perfect Portfolio, Evolved [View article]
    you could do either. again, one could buy the dow 30 if they wish, if they can do it cheaper than the etf.
    Mar 17 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investor - Call 911 [View article]
    The character also appeared in Hill Street Blues and another series as well. Great actor, and role.
    Mar 17 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment