Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Buffett Agrees - Doing Nothing Is The Path To Investment Success [View article]
    Also, I do share in the same goals as the DG investors; an income stream from my investments that will allow me to retire, or semi retire.

And on that Total Return is always, always applicable to hitting that income stream finish line. If I have a portfolio that includes $200,000 of GLD. I can almost instantly with the press of two buttons turn that $200,000 into $12,000 - $15,000 worth of annual income.

It wasn't with $200k, but I had the wonderful experience of cashing in most of my gold in 2011 and turning it into 6% income with a mutliple asset class income ETF. Poof. Income. Ha.

Actually it was more than 6% as some of it went into a 10% income generating covered call product.

Two routes to the exact same destination.
    Nov 5 06:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Larry (and Chowda). In my suggested portfolio comparison we will go apples to apples. And I will include other DG authors and commentors who post their portfolio results. And for sure, it will be apples to apples. That is we'll track dividend growth, and on the side we'll measure total return.

We will measure Cranky's Scaredy Cat Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Fund (stay tuned for details) against the stock pickers.

We should also included the broader SDY as well. And the original VIG.
    Nov 5 06:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case Against Using The VIG As A Dividend Growth Proxy [View article]
    Hi Robert, there are now two DG investors who are not balancing volatility with other asset classes. Well that I know of.

I'm sure there are more on SA. But it doesn't really matter.

I am glad though to see some DG SA authors now preface their articles with the fact that their DG portfolios are used for topping up larger pensions and fund income and growth.
    Nov 5 06:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost No One Makes Money From The Stock Market Alone [View article]
    Thanks Agu, if only most investors could follow your behaviour.
    Nov 5 06:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case Against Using The VIG As A Dividend Growth Proxy [View article]
    And then there were two. lol
    Nov 4 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost No One Makes Money From The Stock Market Alone [View article]
    Hi Vanwinkle, that is certainly true on a short term basis. But during a secular bear market, the corrections keep coming and coming. If we look back at 1966 (and not inflation adjusted) the troughs kept coming, and in 1980 the market in price terms was below what it was in 1966. Add in inflation and it's really ugly.

You have to get to 1981 to get to even in price terms only. Inflation would have eaten up the dividends - and then some.

As we know, most investors bailed on that roller coaster ride. Just as they bailed in 2000-2003, and 2008-9.

The psychology and investor behaviour is even more important than the potential for price or total returns.
    Nov 4 08:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey, not zero. I sent Chowder my portfolio.Ha. I don't think he used it.

Not saying I agree with Naf, buying and holding and monitoring and reinvesting is one of the most useful strategies an equity investor can employ.

But I have an ever better challenge coming for the DG stock pickers from one of the two articles I just submitted. It's on a modified DG ETF. We'll see over the next few years if the stock pickers can keep up.

There should be some very useful 'learning' from this exercise.
    Nov 4 05:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Investments With Low Correlation To The S&P 500 [View article]
    Eric mostly certainly, we use asset allocation to protect us during the 'bad times'. And we give us some returns during the frothy bull runs. C'est la vie.

Most investors can't even handle the volatility of a classic 60-40 equities to bonds portfolio. True risk tolerance is largely ignored.
    Nov 4 05:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Economists Ignore 33,000,000 Americans When Calculating Income Inequality [View article]
    Pay people to not work, and gues what, many will take you up on that offer. It's basic human nature, and it's very consistent.

Many stayed at home for two years during the recession because the US government kept extending the Unemployment Benefits.

The US is experiencing the same event within the disability program.

Real world examples have shown that if you make benefits more readily available, even during times of rapid economic growth and opportunity (when jobs are aplenty), the unemployment rolls swell.

Sorry, I don't have those papers at the ready.
    Nov 4 04:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost No One Makes Money From The Stock Market Alone [View article]
    Agu you make a grea point. I recently wrote an artice (not yet submitted) on US multinationals and foreign profits. Essentially, the US markets have decoupled from the US economy.
    Nov 4 04:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost No One Makes Money From The Stock Market Alone [View article]
    Thanks Gardener. To each his own, equities certainly can deliver the greatest returns if your timeline is 20-years plus, and you can handle the volatility.

That said, most investors are best suited to a mix of many asset classes and lower volatility.
    Nov 2 03:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Buffett Made Money In Bad And Volatile Markets [View article]
    I am a big Buffet fan (of Jimmy too) but the Oracle BRK. has lost money to inflation over the last five years. Maybe 12-15%.

Over the last ten years he has real returns in the area of 5%.

As per my last article, (Almost no one makes money from the stock markets) very few investors are making significant real returns in this bear market environment. Not even Warren.
    Nov 2 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Investments With Low Correlation To The S&P 500 [View article]
    fishfryer, that's exactly why I wrote an article that landed on the Permanent Portfolio. 25% equities. 25% long bonds. 25% cash. 25% gold.

Average annual return of nearly 10%. Only two very, very small down years over the last 40. Portfolio protects from, or prospers during, periods of inflation, deflation, recession, vigorous economic growth.
    Nov 2 07:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Navigation Guide For November Markets [View article]
    David Rosenberg says the QE bazooka is now a water pistol.

Squirt. Squirt.
    Nov 2 07:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Navigation Guide For November Markets [View article]
    You will need gold either way. Neither candidate or party has even an inkling of a plan to reduce the deficit in a meaningful way.

obama - increase spending, increase taxes, less growth, larger deficits
    romeny - increase spending, cut taxes, more growth, larger deficits

There is no fiscal conservative on the ballot, unfortunately.
    Nov 2 07:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment