Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Where Are We In The Secular Bear Market? [View article]
    Hey Caha. I see four false starts in each of the examples above. We are now at two (false starts?)

Half way?

Dale
    Jan 9 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio For Do It Yourselfers: The 2012 Update (Part 1) [View article]
    Your initial list of companies holds many of the companies that have been in my Scaredy Cat Dividend Portfolio SCVIG - Vanguard Top Ten. Identical returns I think.

I'm so templed but fear for the U.S dollar. It has fallen some 25% vs. the Canadian over 3-4 years and 50% over a longer time frame.

I use DIA hedged to Canadian dollars for my U.S. equity. Many great companies though in the Dow. Including many of the above.
    Jan 9 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Are We In The Secular Bear Market? [View article]
    yup. gotta look at the chart with inflation - real return. There's not much there except for the long bull runs.

unless you have a beat the market strategy.
    Jan 9 08:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio For Do It Yourselfers: The 2012 Update (Part 1) [View article]
    I've had my greatest successes with DG stocks. TransCanada and Enbridge show 160% total return from 2006. Go back ten years and those two would net you 700%. I wish I had held them that long.
    Jan 9 08:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banks In The Great White North: Bank Of Montreal [View article]
    Royal Bank of Canada likely shows the best long-term large cap returns over the last 2-3 decades. Even much larger returns that Berkshire.
    Jan 9 08:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio For Do It Yourselfers: The 2012 Update (Part 1) [View article]
    Hey David, great results. The portfolio did pretty well too.

Happy to see a family do so well. I share your view on life. I have taken positions of employment that may not pay as well as others, but have greater returns.

You lessons on life are more important than those of the fiscal variety. Though I am also of the belief that enough money can buy some happiness.

Research also shows that those with a financial plan are also happier. Another fact of life.
    Jan 9 07:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Are We In The Secular Bear Market? [View article]
    Great article and reminder, thanks Sy. I hit that follow button.

My guess is the same as your learened and knowledgeable prediction. I am participating in the equity markets but am playing defense with my gains, with lots of dry power.

You may find my article of interest "No one makes money from the stock markets'. Factor in inflation and it's a scary picture.

Jan 9 07:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazing Returns: Velti, Alcatel-Lucent, Alpha Natural Resources [View article]
    Hey Tony, SPY delivered 13% last year. Are your other annual results posted somewhere? Thanks.

In general, in which years did you beat the market?
    Jan 9 07:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Market Valuation And Historic Returns [View article]
    Hey Tony will do. And if it checks out I will change the headline of the article to "No One Makes Money From the Stock Markets, Except Tony".

That's aweseome and I don't doubt your results. The headline was an absolute statement, and certainly an attention getter. But the story is still true, for most.
    Jan 9 07:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost No One Makes Money From The Stock Market Alone [View article]
    Yes I think calls and options are a great way to get to goose your income and performance.

I am reading up on options. Hopefully I will be qualified to add that to the aresenal one day.
    Jan 9 07:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost No One Makes Money From The Stock Market Alone [View article]
    Hey Jim, for sure it would have been great to also have a total return, real return chart as well. But the chart tells the same story. To be exact one would then have to say "Imagine going decades with only your dividend to show for it".

And of course over a shorter term 5-10 years (an applicable and relevant time frame for investors) those dividends will not always add up to much - assuming the investor has significant dividends.

I think the story is intact. But just less scary if you have dividends.

That said, even over the last 15 years, the total return for the Dow Jones (with divvy's) has returned a very modest amount above inflation. Save for market timing of course.
    Jan 9 07:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Canada's Banks Continue To Head North? [View article]
    Hey Gary, I use a covered call ETF product on the Canadian banks as well, from BMO. ZWB. Though the premium has recently disappeared with the share price increase.

Good luck down there. I did a shoot near Dallas one year, had a great time.
    Jan 8 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Market Valuation And Historic Returns [View article]
    Thanks Thomas.
    Jan 8 02:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Market Valuation And Historic Returns [View article]
    Hey Global I had total returns of 74% from 2007-2011. Much better than the market of course. I am now playing defense.

The Permanent Portfolio delivers equity market returns with very little volatility. That's a great scenario.

And yes, ha, please publish how you are generating 2-10% per month.
    Jan 8 02:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Canada's Banks Continue To Head North? [View article]
    I'm more of an ETF guy, but I agree, that if you are adding into individual stocks one would be well served to buy the banks of choice directly. Plus for dividends and growth the Canadian Telco's operate under the same oligopolgy situation (OK there's three or four). One could consider BCE, Telus and Rogers and Shaw. Throw in some utilities TRP and ENB and that's a nice basket. All available on the NYSE. All dividend growth. The utilities are somewhat expensive.

Do your homework, of course.
    Jan 8 12:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment