Dale Roberts

View Dale Roberts' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why This Dividend Aristocrat ETF Isn't So Noble [View article]
    Hey Detail, and total return is the way to the greatest income. Assuming that total return strategy can beat the income growth strategy.

I think that likelihood exists moving forward. All said, investment strategy should match up with objective. We see many with a total return objective and an income growth approach.
    Apr 3 08:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Important Article I Could Ever Write On Dividend Growth [View article]
    Hey wes, payments don't matter in the accumulation phase to those who seek the greatest total return, and hence the higher income and quality of life in retirement.

Money you don't need to spend, yet, is not worth watching. What's important is how any income can drive total return.

Some will watch the income as a risk management tool and that's fair, but they likely give up income in the end.
    Apr 3 08:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why This Dividend Aristocrat ETF Isn't So Noble [View article]
    And the greatest lesson from The Aristocrats is that of patience and a non-emotional approach. It's an index. Investors should check their returns. Not beating the market with dividend growth? then something's up. It's an investment style and approach that offers total returns over and above the market, historically.

In the accumulation phase that will be the most important metric for many - because in the end it all comes down to how much do you have to go shopping for income. More money will lead to more options and a more favourable lifestyle.

Well if one cares about how much they will have to spend, and they want to maximize that number.
    Apr 3 07:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why This Dividend Aristocrat ETF Isn't So Noble [View article]
    Nice article Eli, what is important to note of course is that this passive index, the Dividend Aristocrats, has outperformed the market generally by 2-3% per year. That is vs the SP 500.

I had a look at this index and the individual holdings, putting all of the holdings in a chart with P/E, yield, short term revenue and income, 5-year dividend growth rate and the all-important payout ratios. It's surprising that the majority of the holdings have a very manageable payout ratio (the well documented key to market outperform). I found the payout ratio phenomenon at work with the individual holdings.

Here's the article.

Apr 3 07:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Simply Buy The Dividend Aristocrats And Perhaps Beat The Market [View article]
    Thanks Robert, I certainly will. I would guess the div will get up to speed within a few quarters. I did provide a history of a new ETF that I have experience with - in a comment post.
    Apr 3 07:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Mike, I do have those year by year returns chart from 89. I will put that in a future article. It is quite the consistent trend, the outperform that is.

And yet so simple. Just about as simple an index as one could create. Once again, not thinking leads to success. It takes out the emotion and second guessing.
    Apr 3 06:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks quest. There have been periods when non payers can outperform, check out the charts in some previous articles.

Generally though and over longer periods most of the studies show the dividend payers outperforming, at least with respect to the SP 500.

Small cap is another issue. They will outperform over longer periods as a group but with much greater volatility. They offer more hidden value and mis-pricing.
    Apr 3 06:52 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Jolcatch, yes that 25 years is an arbitrary number in some ways. Nothing wrong with picking a company with 18 or 22 year history on its way to becoming a dividend aristocrat. That is certainly my broader suggestion with this series on payout ratio.

The idea is to invest looking back (dividend growth history in most cases) and mostly look forward for the potential to keep increasing those dividends due to a very healthy business and manageable payouts.

It was interesting and telling to see that the payout ratio applies to the aristocrats and near aristocrats.
    Apr 3 06:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for that, I will have a look, and correct if need be.
    Apr 3 06:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks SouthGent, not surprised that you do pay attention to payout ratio. I will have a look at that paper.

Have a good one.

Dale
    Apr 3 06:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Derek, we may already have it with VIG? That appears to be one of the value parameters.

Over the much longer term that may pay off for VIG holders.
    Apr 3 06:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It worked, thanks, very interesting. Buybacks vs give backs. That's another interesting debate.
    Apr 3 06:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks SkipK. It was interesting doing the exercise. You don't know what you're going to get until you crunch the final numbers.
    Apr 2 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for that varan, very kind of you.
    Apr 2 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi, according to that site yes, I did corss-check a selection of aristocrats against google and they appeared accurated.

The markets are certainly not cheap these days, but of course investors are best to stay the course and invest on that regular schedule.

Some may have some dry power ready for the next obvious buying opportunity.
    Apr 2 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment